Do the Replicas say they are replicas?

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by BigDaddyJim, Jan 31, 2011.

1. BigDaddyJim

BigDaddyJim New Member

When my mom passed away last month, she left me a few handguns. I've shot all of them except the 1858 Remington New Model revolver. I've been reading the various threads about the replicas, but how do you know if it's the real deal or a replica?

On the top of the barrel, it says "Patented Sept 14, 1858" Under that it says, "E. Remington & Sons. Ilion, New York USA", and under that it says "New - Model"

Here are some pics, and I appreciate any help. -jim

Attached Files:

2. BigDaddyJim

BigDaddyJim New Member

I wasn't sure if anyone needed a couple more pics. Under the ram arm, it looks like a 5 digit serial number, and there are a few other stamps, like a "C" and a D, an H (in italics) at points all over the pistol.

Thanks again... -jim

Attached Files:

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

That is a very nice piece...too nice to be original is my first thought but someone with more knowledge on these things should be along shortly. Thanks for posting the pics.

4. BigDaddyJim

BigDaddyJim New Member

That was my first thought too, but my step-dad was a meticulous collector of all things. When he passed away, I got some pretty awesome shop tools when I helped my mom clean out the garage. He was a retired nuclear engineer, and tinkered with everything too... he gave me a few pocket watches that he collected, each 100-150 years old.

My mom said that this gun was Al's, as it was one of collectables. I wasn't sure if the replicas had marks that would tell you it was a replica.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  5. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

IMO it's an original that's been reblued.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, for the ultimate word, check with Remington- they ARE still making guns, y'know.

If I had to make a snap judgement, I would agree that is a reblued original. One giveaway on a modern repro will be the caliber marking, and BLACK POWDER ONLY. Since at the time of the originals, there was only black powder.

Of course, MADE IN ITALY would arouse strong suspicions.......... :rolleyes:

Still, looks like a VERY nice revolver. PS- difference between replica (fake gun) an reproduction.

7. BigDaddyJim

BigDaddyJim New Member

That could very well be... of course, if that is the case, it significantly reduces the value. :(

8. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Pretty sure that if it's a reproduction, there will be some Italian proof
    marks on it SOMEWHERE. They are getting pretty good at making them tiny and hiding them.

9. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

A repro doesn't have the Remington name and address nor do they have inspectors stamps tho some do have the cartouche on the grips. It could be a very nicely done fake but a fake wouldn't look that good IMHO.

10. BigDaddyJim

BigDaddyJim New Member

Thanks guys... I have emailed Remington, and hope to get a definitive response. I do think that my step-dad "cleaned up" the pistol, and as a result, it's in very good condition. :)

Your help is much appreciated. -jim

11. TnRebel

TnRebel New Member

+1 I agree 100%

12. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

It sure looks like a re-blued original to me. Where is Reinhard?

13. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Based on the pics, I would say an original...or a really darn good reproduction.

You might have a treasure right there.

14. BearTaylor

BearTaylor New Member

I wondered if Remington did a reproduction run of their old warhorse.

15. BigDaddyJim

BigDaddyJim New Member

I posted some pics with Remington, and it is indeed an original, manufactured in 1861. Thanks for everyone's assistance. It was very much appreciated!!!

Jim

16. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Are you going to shoot it? BTW, never let the hammer down from half cock. Always fully cock it before you let it down. If you don't that drag line will just get worse.

17. dlinkous

dlinkous New Member

i know what you are going through. i have been researching 2 guns i just got a 1826 us Springfield and a Kentucky long rifle made by Cornell Kemper. not a lot out there on either gun not to mention not a price anywhere on what they could be worth.

18. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Cornell Kemper was a custom rifle builder from the 50's till sometime in the 70's. He only made about one rifle per year so there's not many around. Should be worth a pretty penny if it's in good shape. The 1826 Springfield is actually a model 1816 flintlock. However many of these if not most were converted to percussion at the beginning of the Civil War.

19. Reinhard

Reinhard New Member Supporter

the remington is 100% original,so are the grips ,got the same opinion as Hawg on this gun,to determine if the blueing is original a visiual inspection is needed,always hard to make out with indoor pics,...very nice gun

20. orangello

orangello New Member

Sooooo, if you don't want that tired old thing, i've got a fairly new unfired Pietta reproduction of it that i would trade you.

;)

beautiful revolver!