Do it all pump -- in black synthetic

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Steve65, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Steve65

Steve65 New Member

I've never owned a pump, so please forgive some basic questions.

I'd like to buy one gun that I can buy an extra barrel for and have both an HD gun (like a NEF Pardner Protector kinda gun) and also have a 26-28" VR field barrel with choke tubes for it as well. I'd prefer a black synthetic stock.

What gun would you suggest, and how much hassle is it to swap said barrels on that gun?

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Steve....you are going to be making concessions on both ends going this route. Just buy two guns that are mission specific.

Besides, why buy one when you can have two?

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

if it was women with a title about do it all black pumps i dont think it would be about shotguns lol

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Mossberg 500 comes in a 2 barrrel set and a synthetic stock. Relatively inexpensive and easy to switch barrels.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

I didn't get the set, but i did get my ole Mossy a shiny new 18.5" barrel for HD duty. I had wood furniture on mine (used), but i swapped it out for black synthetic with a pistol grip/buttstock combo.

6. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

My Mossberg has 2 barrels and they easily switch out. I keep it in 18" home defense configuration all the time when it is stored in my safe. Loaded and ready to go if ever necessary.

7. Steve65

Steve65 New Member

I can't find a Mossy 500 in black synth stock -- I guess I'd have to buy an aftermarket stock?

The Maverick 88 is black synth, but I don't like the safety by the trigger. I guess I could learn to like it. Do Mossy 500 barrels work on the Maverick, and is the change as easy on the 88 and the 500? How long does it really take?

8. orangello

orangello New Member

From their website, you are looking for #56420, the 500 field with black synthetic, BUT you need an HD barrel too. Maybe the fine folks at Mossberg could help?

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining
    black shotty

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining

I like the safety up top, personally.

edit* I think the barrel i have & like very much is the #90015, 500 Security, very plain. I bought one of those heat shields to add on, but didn't much like it. http://www.mossberg.com/products/access.asp?type=barrels&section=access about $80

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  9. Steve65

Steve65 New Member

I notice the 28" field Mossy 500 barrels are ported. Doesn't this make the gun annoyingly loud like porting does on a rifle? Will I deafen and tick-off my hunting or shooting buddies if I shoot a ported 500 near them?

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Check at the stores like Big Five, Dicks, Walmart etc. The local Big Five had them on sale a week or so ago.

11. powg

powg New Member

all around gun

this is what i have. rem 870 12 3inch express installed a ati pistol grip buttstock (ar) style, factory replacement syn forend,this where it gets interesting ....i sent the vent rib 28'' barrel off to ''polychoke'' in wis. had it cut and they installed their polychoke with compensator barrel length now is 20''.the poly has 9 different settings all you do is twist it to desired choke ...modern powders burn up in the first 14 inches ,so there is really no need for the extra weight ,length..my 20'' will shoot ,pattern equally with a long barrell 28-30 or a sawed off 18.5..with all loads birdshot ,buckshot ,slug steelshot ,skeet etc with a twist of the wrist ..no need for 2 barrels or various tubes etc...plus it looks mean as hell...best of both worlds in 1 tidy package