Do guns and preggo's mix?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by EazyXJWJ, Aug 16, 2010.

1. EazyXJWJ

EazyXJWJ New Member

I'm about to get my Glock 19 on Tuesday and I plan on going to the range on Friday. My wife also wants to go but she is 5 1/2 months pregnant. We're going to a Dr's office on Thursday but I wanted to ask here.

I'm sure there's a few women members here and might have a few words.

Thanks.

2. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Your doctor will know best.
    IMO the only concern I would see is possible exposure to lead dust or vapors in a poorly ventilated indoor range.
    Of course my opinion and $1 may get you a cup of coffee:D

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I think if you can fit some ear muffs on the baby you're good to go.

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Personally, and with no scientific knowledge whatsoever, I would not do it. Just the fear that the noise could somehow damage the babies unprotected and developing nervous systems would give me pause. You are wearing protection, the baby isn't. Another concern for me would be the smoke and possible lead dust in the air regardless of how good the ventilation system is...why take a chance. That's purely my opinion your Doctor may say otherwise and he is the expert.

5. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I don't understand your question, if it is a question. If you are asking if a pregnant woman should have a gun, then the answer is NO!! If you are asking if the noise from the gun will harm the fetus, then...perhaps have your wife shield her belly with a pillow or coat. If you are asking if your preggo wife will like shooting, then the answer is HELLZ YEA!

I am not a woman, and I fail to see how this is just a statement for the ladies. I feel for you, as I know how a pregnant woman can be, and remember, it is not her fault. It is your fault for now and forever.

Congrats on becoming a Daddy. If this is your first, then you have no idea of the joy, pride and worry that is to rule the rest of your life. If this is not your first, then what the heck were you thinking? ;)

All kidding aside, let us know what the Doctor says. Keep in mind that the Doc might be anti-gun and biased.

6. EazyXJWJ

EazyXJWJ New Member

My question is the noise.

...and thanks.

7. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Asking medical advice on the interwebz is not nearly as stupid as giving medical advice....

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Dude! Pregnancy + raging hormones + a gun? :eek:

9. EazyXJWJ

EazyXJWJ New Member

Ok guys, it's my gun but she wants to shoot it. Just like when you get a new car they want to drive it.

You can't blame her. If anything, I'm glad she's up for it. I wouldn't want her to be all wimpy about it.

But of course I'm leaning towards not letting her. Like I said, I was just asking.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Encourage her to wait until after delivery.
    Try to get the idea across that having patience can lead to great rewards.

11. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I am all about teaching the lady folk in one's life to shoot and be comfy with a gun. Take a pillow with you. Wrap the pillow around the whole womb area. Tie it with strips of cloth cut from old sheets, long belts, fluffy robe ties...whatever can reach around the area and the pillow. That will muffle the noise enough. My son was inutero for around 6 months and went to his first concert. Megadeth. He's fine, but says "what?" alot...just kidding. He hears fine, the wife took a down coat and tied it in the back just to muffle the sound a bit. Her OB/GYN suggested it.

12. EazyXJWJ

EazyXJWJ New Member

Haha!

He says "what" a lot.

That's waaay better than saying "huh".

13. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I would be more concerned about being in a well ventilated range if shooting indoors then the noise. If you are outside I see no reason why it would cause any problems. I'm not a doctor though. Let us know what the Dr says.

Oh yeah, congrats!

14. StanDJ77

StanDJ77 New Member

I agree, i would encourage her to wait till after she delivers. My daughter is 3 months and, i would not allow her to go to a rang(not that she would) but with all the dust and poor air circulating,plus the noise. If she is new to firearms, i would suggest she practice holding the gun,racking the slide,field stripping etc. Have her get some knowledge first, then when the time comes, she will be ready physically and mentally to shoot:)

15. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

You might want to check with the range before getting too anxious. My range will not allow a pregnant woman in the shooting area.

16. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

guns and preggos dont mix, "if he's shooting blanks" lol

17. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

i believe the cohen bros and hollywood condoned it in "Fargo"....:D

18. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

In my amatuer medical opinion, NO. The noise/pressure of shooting most guns cannot be good for a developing fetus. If she feels the need to shoot, let her shoot a .22 rifle. Low noise. I would not feel comfortable letting her on the range with other shooters. A co-worker was under Dr's orders to not be anywhere around gunfire during her pregnancy. Sage advise.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  19. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

I would advise against it. She does not need to be inhaling the gunsmoke and possible airborne lead while pregnant. She doesn't have much longer to wait. She can use shooting to release pent up aggressions after the baby is born.

20. Bighead

Bighead New Member

When my wife was pregnant she was restricted from firearms training and exempted from qualifications with her police department. I'm sure they have a good reason. My guess would be combination of the noise and exposure to noxious materials (especially at indoor ranges).