Do Glock 26 and M&P9c fill the same niche?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by JW357, Sep 9, 2013.

1. JW357

JW357 New Member

Keep your opinions out of it. Do the Glock 26 and S&W M&P9c fill the same niche? They are similarly sized, double-stacked 9mms.

I don't want to hear which gun is better. Simply, do they fill the same niche? Yes or no.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

In my opinion, unless you clarify the question more, you're asking for an opinion.

3. JW357

JW357 New Member

Are they designed with the same purpose in mind?

Since they are similarly sized double stacked 9mms, it seems their intended use (or niche) is concealed carry, basically anywhere on the body.

I'm really just wondering if anyone disputes that.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Ah OK then. Yes. They are both concealable and make the same size holes. Glocks still better. Lol

5. JW357

JW357 New Member

Heh. that's gonna be a separate thread, that I'm planning for later. I need this thread as part of data (so to speak) though.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Should be interesting. Look forward to it.

7. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Yea, both are built for the same role. The Glock is a tad smaller, but the M&P is better built IMO.

8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Does it matter?? Handle them shot of you can and buy the one that fits your needs better. If new, the priceing the MP is cheaper to buy and if you find the trigger is not the best you can upgrade it with a couple apex parts and still have no more money that the Glock will cost you. I had a glock 27 with a conversion barrel and my wife has a m&p9c. I really like the m&p better. We did the apex kit for my wife and that did make for a far better trigger than glock can give atleast to me.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  9. JW357

JW357 New Member

Um... Yes. If it didn't, I wouldn't have asked. If you read the rest of the thread you'll see I have a purpose in asking. I'm going to make a new thread later and I'll be using this one as a small reference.

I'm not in the market to buy. I just want to know if people think they fill the same niche.

So kindly take a second out of your day and answer my mundane question.

Thanks.

10. simpkinst

simpkinst New Member

You answered your own question. If they are both handguns if the same caliber and size, chances are they had the same purpose during design.

How do you want people to answer? No one really knows except for the manufacturers. You need to ask them or go to each web site to see if this is spelled out.

11. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Both concealed carry. Both double stacked. Both obviously targeting the same market.

I don't like a thumb safety on a dedicated concealed carry weapon. I do like Glocks reversible mag catch and the fact that the backstrap is modular and can be changed out for better ergonomics with different hand shapes and grip techniques. I don't know if the M&P has similar features though.

Overall I'd say yes they fit the same niche.

The exception would be that the M&P might make a better range gun for a novice shooter since it does have a thumb safety. And I'd pick the 26 for CC every time because it doesn't have the thumb safety.

Off topic: The wife has nixed the revolver idea btw. She wants me to buy her the 26 and have it painted baby pink. :!FACEPALM!:

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

Not every M&P has a thumb safety. You can buy them without. My M&P9c I bought brand new without a thumb safety.

And yes, the M&Ps come with three backstraps. And yes, they have a reversible magazine eject. But now I see you said magazine catch. Did you mean the magazine eject button?

Well, whatever makes your wife happy I suppose :cringe:

13. Donn

Donn Active Member

Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are.

14. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

15158_10152083149823475_1160583678_n.jpg

He said it, here we go!!

15. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Ive heard magazine catch, magazine catch button, magazine release, magazine release button and magazine eject button. Glock calls it a "reversible magazine catch" here. All the same basic thing I guess. I'm no armorer that's for sure.

Yeah the wife... The 26 I was happy about. The baby pink, not so much.

image-2235288995.jpg

:p

Attached Files:

16. JW357

JW357 New Member

Is that her gun? Gosh, I didn't know glocks could get any uglier...

17. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

No, that's the example she found for me. She wants hers a lighter pink. :p Blech!

18. JW357

JW357 New Member

Well... I guess if it makes her have it on her....

19. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

The M&P is completely ambidextrous, unlike the Glock.