Do civilians need spare ammo?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by rigjumpr, Jul 19, 2012.

1. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

I recently read an article in Guns magazine titled “Do Civilians need spare ammo”? In witch prompted me to as our forum the same question. Do you feel the need to have an extra mag/speed loader? Or will the 5, 6, 8 or 10 rounds (whatever the case may be) serve the purpose of protection?
    I am of the belief that a spare magazine is warranted. With the recent events that took place in the internet lounge (we have all seen by now). If I counted correctly the gentleman had one or two rounds left, what if….the hood wearing punks would have come back? Or as most of us may or may not know there are circumstances that may “lessen” the effects of shots on target so to carry extra magazines /speed loaders or not to?

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I'll just give you my short answer---YES!

3. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

H%LL YES....I keep nine or ten box's extra all the time...What are you going to do throw the gun at them ???....Each gun has ten or so box's extra if I can help-it and I rotate the new on bottom and the old on top as I use-it....$$$...Yes it cost a bit of money but you will use-it sometime down the road.....

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

HOSSFLY!

I AGREE! A BIG YES! And all you can hoard at home!

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Plus some ;)

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

hmm combat load is 210 rounds for a reason... carry as many extra mags as possible... soo YES!!

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

The way I figure it, many, and likely most, armed altercations are diffused with only showing a weapon. The rest of the majority probably only require minimal shots fired (2-5).

But, on the same token, I've never been in a major car accident, yet I still wear my seatbelt.

Carrying extra ammo is no different than packing or wearing a seatbelt. It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

The only question that remains: How much extra should you carry?
    Answer: As much as you effing want. Ammo isn't restricted. Magazine capacity is restricted in some commie states, but the number of magazines you can carry is not (please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't study asshattery or asshat laws, so I may be mistaken) Restrict my magazine capacity to one round per mag, and I'll likely carry 50 mags.

How much do you need? At least one bullet. How much should you limit yourself to? I have carried over 2K rounds for my SAW into a firefight in both Iraq and Afghanistan. And was down to using my M9 by the end of it all. I don't expect firefights on the main drag of Ruston Louisiana, at least not yet, but my point is, there is no such thing as too much. However, there is a horrifying situation known as "not enough".

8. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

trip... you da man. hehe

9. marc29th

marc29th New Member

I carry 2 extra 7 round mags to go with my 7+1 in the gun.

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Trip types better'un me-
    Hence my short answer :D

11. XxChino13xX

XxChino13xX New Member

Trip is dead on with his reply IMO as well. Once in a blue moon I may slip some extra mags in my pocket or I'll put on my mag holder and carry two on the belt plus the one "in hand". But for night time outings or outings in unfamiliar areas I'll put one mag in my pocket. They're 16 round mags of .40, so I'd like to think I'd be good to go if anything should come about, and I always have my folder tucked IWB on my hip next my holster regardless of where I'm at.

12. Donn

Donn Active Member

210 rds? Basic load was 144 when I deployed, (Vietnam), but that was the minimum we left the wire with. We were encouraged to beg, borrow or steal as many mags, (20rd mags were all we had back then), as we could carry.
    Here & now, I always carry at least one extra mag or 2-3 speed strips if I'm carrying a revolver, more depending on where I'm going. Like someone else mentioned, better to have it and not need it. That said, I still believe if you've got to reload, it's no longer SD, it's a firefight which puts you squarely between a rock and a hard place, I don't care what you're carrying or how much ammo you've got.

13. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Yup 7 30 round mags. And also even though that would be a firefight. If the BG is still shooting At you wouldn't that still be considered an active threat and thus allowing you to defend yourself?

14. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Spare ammo is whatever is left after the shootout is over. If you know ahead of time exactly how much you will need going in, you da man.

15. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I think it also might determine where you live as well. If I am traveling I will carry extra mags. But just going around town I dont. Maybe its the small town atmosphere but I dont see the need where I live. If I lived somewhere that is always in the top listings in crime like Detroit, Memphis, Chicago etc... then I probably would. Heck if I lived in any major city I would. But situations and preferences are different for everyone.

16. shooter88

shooter88 New Member

Ill agree plainly with everyone and say YES! Anytime i have a few spair dollers i buy ammo for atleast my 12 gauge or my 40 therefor letting it stack up incase i need it in the future... if im going somewhere i carry both 15 rnd clips with my 40 in my truck

17. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

I think everyone should carry at least one spare magazine. Not that you may necessarily run out of rounds...but what if you find yourself in a struggle and your magazine is released during in the fight? Or if by some crazy chance your magazine decides to malfunction, you have a backup. Not to mention that any time there is a lull in the shooting I want to try and do a tactical reload, that way if it starts again I am at max capacity. Just my thoughts.

18. ZombieBrawler

ZombieBrawler New Member

Let me put it this way, at home i have 100 rounds at all times ready for my AK in 2 30's and a 40 round mag. When i carry theres a 13 round mag for my xdm in the car, on me, and in my on top of that i stack a few thousand rounds at home as well. So yes lots of ammo ;)

19. ZombieBrawler

ZombieBrawler New Member

^^^^ GUN that is

20. cvia

cvia New Member

One is none and two is one. Make since?