DIY Suppressor question.

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by KlingKong251, Oct 21, 2017.

1. KlingKong251

KlingKong251 New Member

So I am currently in the process of designing a baffle structure for a diy 9mm can. I will be using a combination of formed "M" style freeze plugs and "M" style cones. The suppressor will be run on a 9mm ar. The picture I drew up is not to scale but I was thinking of using a blast chamber with a spring inside followed by 2 cones followed by 4 freeze plugs. My question is should I replace one of the cones and put two more freeze plugs in it's place or go with the current design? No work will begin until I have my form 1 back, just trying to pass the time constructively.

Attached Files:

2. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

just a quick question and maybe some sage advice. do you have a tax stamp for a suppressor?

if not, don't even think about actually trying to make one. if you want to keep it on paper, then fine and then submit it for a patent, okay that's cool. but if you actually try to make one without a tax stamp, that is federal firearms felony. which means serious prison time. yes, it's that serious.

kfox75 likes this.

3. KlingKong251

KlingKong251 New Member

The last line of my original post states that I am waiting on my form 1 to come back and I don't plan on buying or starting any kind of work on it before it's approved. Just trying to get a rough idea of how I want to construct it to be most effective for what it is, a diy suppressor project.

MisterMcCool likes this.
  4. Dallas53

just making sure. having good intentions doesn't play very well with BATFE officers. they have no sense of humor when it comes to firearms violations.

sheriffjohn and kfox75 like this.
  5. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Amen ! A mid-Missouri man was arrested a couple of weeks ago after shopping at a local hardware store and telling the clerk he was building a silencer and purchasing parts. A search of his home yielded enough evidence to cause him to be indicted. I've seen a lot of jails in 40 years, none appealed to me.

jigs-n-fixture and Dallas53 like this.
  6. stinkysix

stinkysix New Member

There are a couple very popular form 1 forums around, check them out for all your legal form 1 activities.

7. Dallas53

and having the materials on hand that could be used to construct a suppressor, without the tax stamp in your possession could be construed as intent to build a suppressor, and could potentially cause a person some serious legal difficulties.

8. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Can we get past the legalities crap? This guy is excited about a build and asking for advice.

JTJ likes this.
  9. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Google muffler design. Physics is the same. A pressure wave in a compressible fluid, is a pressure wave in a compressible fluid.

You need to disperse the energy over time, and produce a longer duration release. Thus the baffles.

Dallas53 likes this.
  10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

How you build it depends on how much machining you can do yourself. You will be limited if you have to use off the shelf parts but you would be able to build a decent suppressor. There are quite a few videos on Utube but you have to sort through them to find the good ones. There are some Utube channels that will try to sell you all the parts ostensibly as a solvent trap. There is also a lot of information on Google with a lot of design and engineering done. Just google firearm suppressor design.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=fir...tx7bXAhWC3oMKHZwYDYcQsAQIzwE&biw=1536&bih=734

Dallas53 likes this.
  11. Dallas53

and unless you use a sub-sonic ammo, you won't eliminate the sonic crack of the bullet when fired. it will muffle to some extent the muzzle noise, and the muzzle blast, but not the sonic crack.

another very critical part of a silencer is the alignment with the bore.

12. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Active Member

I would lose the spring and replace it with a spacer and go all cones. You can play around with blast chamber size but 2 inches seems to be a good starting point