DIY Shooting Bench

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by Txhillbilly, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Ever since Lon and I went Prairie Dog hunting,I have wanted a good shooting bench.
    Most good mfg benches are too expensive,and either lack or have features I don't need or care for.So I started looking at other shooters homemade benches and got some ideas.
    I mainly shoot left handed,but also shoot right handed,and I wanted a bench that would do both.I also wanted it to be portable,so it couldn't weigh a ton,yet it still needed to be sturdy.

I found a guy in Oklahoma that makes a pre-cut 3/4" heavy duty solid plastic bench tops.This is a nice table top,it cost twice as much to ship it than what it cost,but it's worth it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The top measures 42"wide-40"long-and has 18" cutouts.

For legs,I found some folding sawhorse legs-Rugged Buddy 34"
    These are pretty good folding legs,and don't cost much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Continued-

2. Txhillbilly

I then cut a peice of treated 2x6 for a center support,and drilled some pilot holes in it for mounting.

[​IMG]

I then flipped everything over,and counter sunk the holes,so the screws would be flush with the table surface.

[​IMG]

I then centered the leg brackets,and used some lag bolts for mounting.Then bolted the legs to the brackets.

[​IMG]

The finished product-

[​IMG]

Continued-

3. Txhillbilly

The shooting bench is very sturdy,and doesn't want to tip when leaned on.It also folds up for easy transport and storage.It probably weighs around 50lbs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have about $110 in this thing,so it cost a lot less than a good store bought bench.
    There are a couple things that I still need to do.I want to make the legs adjustable,for using on uneven ground.That's easy,I just need a couple short pieces of pipe for that.And I need to make a carry handle for it.

This is a simple project,and it only took a couple hours to put it all together.

4. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Nice work! I have been kicking around some ideas for a mobile bench, too. I usually haul a folding vise table to use as a rifle support. I only works OK, not great.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

hillbilly, where did you find those saw horse legs at? i have been looking for something along that type myself. that is one nice shooting table.

6. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

It look's really nice. It looks like it would work just as well or even better than the mfg ones. Good job.

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Nice. It looks like it will do the job well.

8. Txhillbilly

Just Google-Rugged Buddy folding sawhorse legs.They make them in 28" & 34".
    I think I paid $38 for mine with free shipping.

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Did you put those big dings on the edges of the benchtop or did that happen in shipping? :eek:

10. Txhillbilly

Courtesy of Fed Ex,I filed them down and that is the underside of the table.

It was packaged very good,but I'd say it was dropped a few times by Fed Ex.

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

That's okay, they won't come in to play.

12. 45SIG

45SIG New Member

Table Top for Bench

I really like the looks of the shooting bench that you built. I was thinking about building one simply using 3/4" plywood for a top, but I like your table top a lot better. However, I was unable to find a maker using google. Would it be possible to get the name and phone number of the individual who built your top?

Thanks for your help

13. Squatty

Squatty New Member

Was thinking of building with wood, but I like the plastic bench better. Where did you buy it?

14. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Wrong spot.....

15. Wally89

Wally89 New Member

Looks nice though still spendy for the bench its self. I made a heavy wooden for one based on plans in a old book of mine works great & built using leftover 2x4's & square (round would work better) post for the legs its big & bulky though it easy enough to move & very stable.