Firearms Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, i've been a fallout universe fan for a pretty good while (like the post apocalyptic style and stuff) and took the time to really look at the stem smg... problem is full auto has been banned in canada since the 50's so i thought about tryign to make a sten style bolt action or straight pull using an ar style bolt carrier... it is only an idea since i don'T really have the stuff to make it and the legal means to do so yet (need my possession and acquisition license)... so i'm just playing with the idea... if you wanted to make such a rifle based on non restricted canadian rules (26'' total lenght minimum for bolt action or straight pull otherwise a mandatory minimum barrel lenght of 18.5'' for semi auto) how would you convert the bolt carrier and make everything work in a sten style? would it be possible? bolt action seems like the perfect way to go since failure to feed seem to be less an issue for that type of action... (unless i'm wrong?) i found that sten and a pdf file about how they are made but also i wanted to use an ar barrel in .308 which i'm really unsure of how the tube would hold up to the pressures... i'm good working with wood but more technical stuff is a first... of course i'd have it checked by the proper autorities afterwards... the point would be to make a bolt action rifle in the sten design that can'T really be modded into a semi auto or full auto. (maybe the cutout in the tube for the bolt knob to move through would already be something?) i think i'd use something like lee enfield repro magazines from pro mags for the rifle build if i were to do it...

thanks for your time peeps :)

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Shotgun

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The problem with the STEN and the later Patchett design Sterling Armaments firearm is that it relies totally on the fact that the chamber is made deliberately too short by about 2mm. As the firing pin is machined into the face of the bolt, the inertia of that huge lump of steel fires the round almost instantaneously with chambering it. That's how it works - it's called the advanced primer ignition system. As you've noted, if makes for an adequate blow-back full auto, but a really clunky repetition shooter.

You might care to take a look at a number of guns here in UK - recently banned - that used a system that released the held-open bolt by the action of the thumb lever, and a second squeeze released and fired the round.

The authorities here banned it in 2019, making it a prohibited firearm. Callum of English Guns explains how it all went tits-up - VERY fastly.

Note too, the HUMUNGOUS difference in working pressure of the 9mm round for which the STEN is chambered, and the rifle cartridge that is the .308Win. To my mind it's a gun that might work once, but not twice.

Given the way that Canada follows the most lunatic gun laws imaginable - those of the UK [where a book of explanatory notes on the Firearms Acts cost almost $150] - you could well find yourself admiring the fine Autumnal show of colourful vegetation through the bars of our local house of correction in Warkworth. So I don't know whether to applaud your enterprise or pity your impending arrest.

·
Supporting Member
13,314 Posts
.First of all I agree with Tac!

But beside that the design of the Sten Gun Receiver IMO does not lend itself to the 308/7.62X51 Round. So with that said you have one H*** of a project to undertake. Not that you can not make something as mentioned. But I would be interested in following your progress, Including design time and cost as well as safe functionality. Just saying!
Chamber Pressure: 308 62,000 psi / 9mm 35,000psi

·
Administrator
26,863 Posts
As the two distinguished gents before me have noted- a pistol caliber can rely on the inertia of the bolt and the strength of the actions springs to keep the bolt in place until the (relatively low) pressure in the bore has dropped. .308 will require a locking system, which COULD be supplied by an AR type bolt, no gas system, operated purely by an operating rod handle, Take a look at the action on the Swiss K-31, Straight pull bolt action, comparable power cartridge. But you ARE going to need locking lugs of some type, and you are now drifting away from the simplicity of the STEN.

Problem- weak point of the STEN was usually the magazine. Jump the weight up from 9mm to .308, and it is going to tend to sag downwards.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I cannot see how this would work, to be honest. Not with standard STEN equipment. However, if you are allowed to build your own, perhaps you can make one with a different set up that is a simple bolt action, but that would be a major engineering task all in and of itself. Also, I agree - .308 Winchester is NOT the caliber you want to use in this design. I wish you luck up there in the snow country.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks everyone for the insight!

to be fair i just like the look of the sten but i understand why it would be something hard to do. even if a mp-3008 style would be used i wouldn't mind. i did found out about some rifles already existing with a similar look to those guns (m3 grease gun included) and might go with that instead... it's using glock magazines so being in canada makes it legal to use 10 rounds in a semi auto instead of 5. i guess i could just have it cerakoted to have that junk style grit... having the possibility to use a lefty ejection port is also a great thing in my book :) the rifle in question is a tnw ASR. just didn'T know it existed until like 2 days ago 😂 10mm is also interesting to me as a cartridge though i'd like to have the multi caliber bundle (i'd probably choose 9mm, 10mm and 357 sig for that bundle)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
thanks everyone for the insight!

to be fair i just like the look of the sten but i understand why it would be something hard to do. even if a mp-3008 style would be used i wouldn't mind. i did found out about some rifles already existing with a similar look to those guns (m3 grease gun included) and might go with that instead... it's using glock magazines so being in canada makes it legal to use 10 rounds in a semi auto instead of 5. i guess i could just have it cerakoted to have that junk style grit... having the possibility to use a lefty ejection port is also a great thing in my book :) the rifle in question is a tnw ASR. just didn'T know it existed until like 2 days ago 😂 10mm is also interesting to me as a cartridge though i'd like to have the multi caliber bundle (i'd probably choose 9mm, 10mm and 357 sig for that bundle)
The STEn was made of heavy gauge tin plate, to be frank. While the rest of the gun was made of stuff not much better than that, the barrel and its breech were made of high-quality steel of the tensile strength sufficient to contain the shooting of a 9mm cartridge - and, in the case of the M3, the .45ACP cartridge. Both of these are not even in the same house as a .308Win, let alone the same room.

Suppose you produce a semi-viable design that we can hang our advice on, bearing in mind that you are walking a path that has already had many feet on it down the years.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The low power of pistol round is the only thing that allows this gun to function as a blow back action. A high powered round would blow the case apart as it extracts & jam the action. That why you don't see any blow back rifles in .308 or .30-06. You would have to invent some form of locking action & that would stop it from being a blow back action.
You could use an AR barrel & bolt for a bolt action because the barrel & bolt take all the pressure of firing the gun. It would be hard to get the gun to look like the Sten.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
There used to be a guy on here that would buy old airsoft guns, take the guts out of the shell, then modify the insides to accept 22 rifles. Not sure if something like that is legal in Canada but it might be the easiest way to "make" a Sten-style gun.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There used to be a guy on here that would buy old airsoft guns, take the guts out of the shell, then modify the insides to accept 22 rifles. Not sure if something like that is legal in Canada but it might be the easiest way to "make" a Sten-style gun.
nah it isn'T legal... last time someone did that it was with handguns and was resselling them on the black market for criminals... same happened with paintballs to make submachineguns... so... yeah... ^^'

1 - 11 of 11 Posts