DIY M6 Scout

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by MUG, Nov 20, 2012.

1. MUG

MUG New Member

Complete ground up build of a .410 O/U based on the Springfield Armory M6 Scout. Slightly longer and more stout than the original. Test fired without incident. Still have some finishing touches to complete.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Very cool. Welcome to FTF.

3. MUG

MUG New Member

Thanks brother.

4. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

Great job, when you say ground up, are you saying that you fabricated the parts?

5. MUG

MUG New Member

That's correct. The only purchased items were the hardware. Pins, screws, springs etc. Everything else was fabricated.

6. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

How much did it cost you to build them? Would you ever consider selling one assuming you had proper licenses?

7. MUG

MUG New Member

The fab work didn't cost me anything but time. I'm a steel fabricator by trade and have access to all the necessary equipment and material. I would guess that I probably have about $150 total for both guns. That's just for the hardware. I could probably get that cost down some, but I bought most of the hardware from McMaster Carr, which is about the most expensive place to by from.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

.410 over what?
    The only one i ever got to shoot was .410/.22 hornet.

9. MUG

MUG New Member

Both barrels are .410. I didn't have a way to broach a barrel effectively for a .22 caliber. This was my first attempt at a complete build and I didn't want to take a lot of time trying to get a .22 barrel machined. I still had several other details that I needed to work through to make the gun functional.

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Whats the stock made of--
    Weight?

11. MUG

MUG New Member

It's all steel. Made out of 16 ga. It's hollow with slot and tabbed ribs. Plug welded and ground. Like the Springfield M6, it has on board ammo storage in the stock. 11 .410 rounds. It is a little heavy, weighing in at around 8lbs. I keep it in my vehicle, broke down. Also like the original, there is a single pin that seperates the barrel completely or simply unlock the breech lock and fold it in two.

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Thanks- very interesting :)

13. srtolly1

srtolly1 New Member

I like that. I want to build something like that but shorter barrels and a pistol grip for a tractor gun.

14. MUG

MUG New Member

Thanks. My next build is going to be a single shot break barrel .410 handgun. Similar in function to the Cobray/Leinad derringer but with the look of a modern semi-auto handgun. Another poor mans judge.

15. FullautoUSA

Awesome, post some pictures when you're done!

16. srtolly1

srtolly1 New Member

Can't wait for the next one. How is the accuracy on the double barrel.

17. FullautoUSA

18. FullautoUSA

Just use a 16 inch barrel

19. MUG

MUG New Member

Initial tests were using Winchester 2 1/2 inch 1/2 oz. #9 shot target load at approximately 15 yards. Pretty even pattern against a 12" target. I was playing it safe when first fired in case something went wrong, so I hip shot the first few rounds. The barrels are 20" long verses the military issued 14.5" and the civilian 18.5"

20. MUG

MUG New Member

I can honestly say I've never heard of the M4. I chose the M6 design because I know someone that owns one and I always liked the functionality. Living less than tem miles from Springfield Armory, I knew that the M6 wasn't being manufactured anymore, so I decided to try and duplicate from memory and pictures.