DIY Gun Holster Purse (Budget Build)

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by BigByrd47119, Mar 3, 2014.

1. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Lets try this again...

Wife wants a CPL and she wants a purse to do it with. Unfortunantly most concealed carry purses run around $200 and look like they are used to carry around a gun. Neither a good thing in my book.

So we went to the local thrift store and she picked out a purse which she liked and which I felt to be a good match for concealed carry. HOURS later (psh, women!) we have our purse for $5, a hell of a price! We picked one which has only a single outside zipper pocket for simplicity.

Next its off to LGS to grab a pocket holster for her Ruger LC9. In this case, a Blackhawk pocket holster size 3 for a whole $15. While there we check that the holstered firearm fits properly and it does!

On the way home from LGS pick up velcro from local hobby shop. While here it may be wise to purchase a thin but stiff piece of foam or plastic in the event that the material the purse is made from is too pliable. If it is, it could make drawing your firearm difficult and this is easily resolved by securing said foam or plastic inside the pocket against the outside side of the pocket.

Take it all home, situate everything like she wants, check fit/function 15 more time, and apply velcro! Just like that, you have a concealed carry purse for $25! It fits her and her firearm, but more importantly, its safe, functional AND SHE WILL TAKE IT WITH HER!

I'd be happy to answer any questions and hope this inspires someone somewhere. Prior to this post I was unable to find ANYTHING about a diy purse like this on google.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Gotta love home town ingenuity.

3. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

And my wife had fun watching 6'3" 245lb me walk through a LGS with a purse in my hand lol!

It was nice to do something DIY. Always been a favorite activity of mine.

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Whoa! I did not expect that. :)

5. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

:p Why ya say that?

6. MisterMcCool

I had a mental image of a young Andy Griffith. I was way off.

7. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

pshhh...wish I looked half that good!

8. MisterMcCool

Now I'm thinking Lou Ferrigno

9. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

BigByrd, I'm 6'4", 225 lbs and athletic build, so I look just as ridiculous carrying the purse!

I love the fact that you included your wife in the choices to make sure she would actually use it! I have helped build about half a dozen of these carry purses and I have only one suggestion:

Where you talked about stiffening one side with foam or plastic, if you do this to an outside side, the purse can look "unnatural." However, it is very easy to rip the seam and insert a piece perfectly shaped to the purse (trace the purse and trim just enough for tight fit) and then restitch. Seam is usually on bottom or side, so it is relatively convenient. I used thick Kydex most effectively for this and a 3M spray adhesive found at any craft store or Wal-mart to fasten the lining to the Kydex, thereby making a stable inner wall. If the inner liner is a very thin material, use a soft edging fastened to the corners to keep it from wearing through - the soft, "eye" side of self-sticking Velcro strips can be used for this.