DIY Competition Style Targets---Cheap

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by Gatekeeper, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

*Mods please move if this isn't the appropriate forum, I wasn't sure*
    Okay so maybe Cabin Fever is setting in, but I had to go to Staples today with my little sister and got to roaming the aisles. So I got to looking around and found this and had an idea. Maybe not a great idea but boredom's a killer:p
    [​IMG]
    18X24 Newsprint Tablet, 100 sheets $13.99
    [​IMG]
    ________________________________________________ Cont'd

2. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Took a razor knife and began cutting out the outline. Fairly easy cutting and after cutting through the cardboard, I continued to slice until I was through the paper. The newsprint sheets cut like butter.
    *WARNING* Please don't cut through into your dining room table top or anything;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Cool project and probably cheaper too.

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Hey that's not a bad idea. I have gone to furniture stores to get large boxes. I cut out shapes and spray paint one side. That way I can set up two different color targets for hostage situations. You way looks a lot easier.

5. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Once I had the outer edges cut all the way through the paper, I trimmed the border through the cardboard only
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

I was then able to use a fine tipped marker to trace along the scoring zones
    [​IMG]
    This paper was a little small in height, so I lost a little bit of the outer zone "gut", but close enough-- the main scoring areas are "correct"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  7. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Well there you have it. 100 targets for $13.99. Cheaper than I could order them.
    They have actual size scoring rings and a easy to transport package
    [​IMG]
    All I need at the range is a marker, tear off and use. 14 cents a pull
    More importantly cabin fever relieved for an hour or so:rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  8. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Hey Gatekeeper. This was a very worthwhile thread. Thanks for the info. I am going to give that a try.

9. mjtaur

mjtaur New Member

Very cool. Need to try it out. Just tear them out as you need them.

10. jbd

jbd New Member

Good idea, I'll give that a try.