DIY barrel swap upgrade to heavy barrel

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by bearded1974, Dec 20, 2014.

1. bearded1974

bearded1974 New Member

Is it possible to take my savage axis II xp and swap it with a bull barrel or heavy barrel? Is it the same process as replacing the same barrel already on the gun or would I have to get a different stock and modify things on the gun itself to upgrade and screw a heavy or bull barrel on?

2. Biohazard2

Biohazard2 Member

Yes, it can be done with any number of aftermarket barrel makers.
    You may need to sand your stocks barrel channel out to clear the new, larger "Bull" barrel.
    The simple fact that you ask this question means it is NOT a diy job.
    Have a gun plumber do it right for you.

3. bearded1974

bearded1974 New Member

Thank you biohazard2, I appreciate your response. Do you know of any websites that sell the new bull barrel you are talking about or any heavy or bull barrel for that would be a good match for the savage axis II xp?

4. Biohazard2

Biohazard2 Member

All of the barrel manufactures should be able to sell you a barrel or a gun smith can order and replace your barrel.
    ie; Wilson, Krieger, Bartlein, White Oak Armament, and a Google search will list many others.
    Good Luck

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You can buy a heavy barrel and have it installed. Once you get the prices you will see it would be close to the same price to buy an Axis II XP with a heavy barrel. Then you will have a hunting/knock about gun and a target gun.

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good reason to buy another gun to me. Not that I ever need a good reason. I have bought guns for no reason what so ever.:D