Diving out the nearest exit

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Ranger-6, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

I usually conceal carry my weapon with me all the time. My neighbor asked me what would I do if I was shopping and heard gun fire coming from another part of the store? I told her I would be diving out the nearest exit.

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Take cover, assess your surroundings, take action - fight or flight :cool:

3. MrWray

MrWray New Member

There are a few things that will generally go through your mind. First thing is to stay calm and focused,if you have your family with you ensure their safety by getting them to the nearest exit. If there are no exits between you and where the shots were heard, then take your family the farthest that you can get them from the shots and be at the ready,weapon drawn and keep your head on a swivel "watch & listen" Even having the LEO mindset that i do "to protect"MY family comes first and i will not leave them unprotected to go investigate.

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Perfect answer wray. Let the crazy idiot shootin get near my family in this scenario wray described and ill put 2 in his chest and one in the head as i was trained.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

5. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I am a civilian. I have no duty to act. I would move away from the shooter, find cover on or near floor level, and hope the police reach the shooter before the shooter reaches me.

6. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

This is one of those situations where we really don't know exactly how we would act until it happens. I think the first thought that would come to mind was staying alive and unharmed, and this means different action to different people. Some folks would react by trying to hide or flee and others might choose to confront the source of danger. I strongly believe in having the right to defend ourselves against unprovoked aggression, but I think getting out the nearest exit would be the best option. If stopping the shooter would save lives I am all for that. It is easy to say we would do this and do that but we really don't know how we would act until it happened. Dealing with the aftermath of taking someone's life, even if justified by law, would be difficult for most people.

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well said :cool:

8. BigB

BigB New Member

Very well said and I agree wholeheartedly!

Psalm 82:4 Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.

9. levelcross

levelcross New Member

MrWray and BlueTurf have the right mindset here. To protect my family and myself first, if the fight makes it way to me, that means that I did not have an exit available, I will protect my family at all cost.

One point to remember is that you might be needed to be a good witness if something like this does break out. I would like to think that if I was involved in a shooting that someone would be there to give an accurate account of what really happened, as long as it is not the BG.;)

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

In my state I could be prosecuted for not going to the persons aid and then prosecuted for shooting the madman. Tough decision. I suppose I would rather spend my time in prison knowing I had saved lives rather than running away.

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I'd run for cover like a little girl. :D

12. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Now depending where the shot comes from,you may not have time to seek safety. If your at walmart and the gunshot comes from the next isle over from you, you better make a quick concise decision and act immediatley whichever decision you make. Always remember that the longer an active shooting incident goes on the more dangerous it becomes. So if your inside a two story Dillards and the shot comes from upstairs and you are downstairs, its not as easy as just prancing upstairs,covering your corners,locating the shooter,and taking him/them out. There are too many contributing factors at play,so please do not try and play hero just because you have a gun. In this case If you want to be the best help, get your family to safety,if your by yourself and you want to act,help the people immediately around you to get out safely and then get yourself out alive.

13. MrWray

MrWray New Member

It doesnt matter if you live in a large city or a smaller town, a shooting incident can happen anywhere. A person that knows and expects that it can happen anywhere is already way ahead of people that dont even give it a thought. I had just got on duty one morning whenever i heard the radio traffic from the local PD in the small town of Checotah about a shooting at Walmart. This walmart was still brand new, it had just been open a few months. Long story short, a guy had been dating a girl that worked at the walmart. They had been fighting and she dumped him, the guy then procedes to enter the walmart that morning, he walks back to the electronics department, pulls out a gun and blows half of his head off. Luckily he only took his own life,just imagine what the outcome could have been if he would have decided to take his rage out on anyone that was close to him. Scarey thought isnt it, it happens folks. If you have never thought about it happening before, then you need to start thinking about it. It doesnt matter if your having a great day and stop by walmart or the grocery store without a care in the world. Your day CAN turn bad in the blink of an eye. If anything just have a mental plan of action if something happens.

Sorry for rambling guys :)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  14. BigB

BigB New Member

It's not rambling if it's bringing up good points! Always expect the unexpected, stay calm, and use your head!

Psalm 82:4 Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.

15. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Great points Wray. Another thing that I keep in mind is although I'm very accurate at the range, I've been fortunate not to have to shoot at a person, in an adrenaline filled state of panick. Some here have, many have not. Point being that it is harder to do than one may think. And not as glamorous as on tv or the movies. Keep in mind every bullet fired as consequences, in a crowd that may include an innocent life, whether your intent was to help, doesn't matter. You may end up doing more harm than good.

16. Misfire

Misfire New Member

All good points. And all things people need to think about BEFORE they carry a gun.

17. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

I may want to see what kind of gun he has :D Maybe just a peek around the isle cap

18. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I don't know what state you live in, but you will probably find a "reasonable person" clause in that law. No law can be adopted that requires you to act in a suicidal manner. If you read the statute with that in mind you may find that it relates to rendering aid to an already injured person, but it does not require you to put yourself at risk of death or great bodily harm to render that aid.

The reason I am pretty sure about my statement is based on my former job. While we had a duty to act this did not mean we had to be suicidal about it. If we approached a crash with power lines down we were required to wait until the power company declared the scene safe before we approached the car. If we were sent to a domestic or shooting call we were required to stage away from the scene until the scene was cleared by an LEO.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  19. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Even an LEO does not have a duty to respond.
    http://www.firearmsandliberty.com/kasler-protection.html#T4

20. Rugers9

Rugers9 New Member

I was just recently in this situation at a party a group of guys showed up.did not fire a round but had guns drawn instead of risking a gun fight my group slipped through a side door a high tailed it to a near by park every was accounted for then the cops were called. Turns out the guys were at the wrong party. But think of what could have happen if I drew down on them an insuing gun fight and must likely many injuries but I kept I level head and prevent what could have been tragic.