Disturbing ...

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dog2000tj, Aug 1, 2012.

1. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20120801/US.Professor.Arson/

As sad as it is to hear of a parent grieving for the loss of a child I can't help wonder if this father isn't to blame himself for what happened :(

How little self esteem could this kid have had if he takes the extreme of hanging himself after a scolding ... from an Assistant Principal no less? :confused: Where was this father and what interactions was he having or not having with his son? :confused: I just can't help wonder if this guy was just a piss poor parent, resulting in his son having a warped sense of reality and ultimately ending up with this situation. :confused:

We all wonder what can be done with the school system, but in reality it all begins in the home. With poor parenting the odds are already stacked against a kid, not that it is impossible, but it is definitively no help :(

2. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

It is sad and it does start with the parents. I've had quite a few high school friends hang themselves. The thing I can never figure out is that you are a teenager and haven't even seen the harshness that this cruel world can do. It's always sad to see someone pass away especially a young person.

3. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

This is sad indeed. A young teen is dead over something stupid, and his father has gone completely nuts. It's just a good thing they caught on to his plans before anyone got hurt.

4. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

I have a really hard time wrapping my head around this too. We stress over & over with our 11 year old that no matter how bad things might look they are never as bad as you think. Always come and talk with us because believe it or not mama & daddy have been there before and there's a good chance it was a heck of a lot worse.

5. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I blame the feminization of the male youth today. Everyone gets a trophy, every one is a winner, no one gets told no, and your problems are the most important thing on the planet. Geez, these kids need to quit being coddled and told to man up.

6. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

The young learn early in life that they have just been born in a violent world, usually within the first minute of birth.

"If we hope to create a non-violent world where respect and kindness replace fear and hatred, we must begin with how we treat each other at the beginning of life. For that is where our deepest patters are set. From these roots grow fear and alienation or love and trust." (© Suzanne Arms)

7. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

After reading that article it sounds like the nut didn't fall to far from the tree. With a dad like that, the kid was doomed from the start.

8. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Like you said everyone gets a trophy. When I was in school if you tried out for a sport not everyone made the team. That is called try outs! If you didn't make they told you good try and come back next year. Now when you go for a sport you are automatically on the team. These kids think they get everything because the parents don't know how to raise these kids properly. Look how many kids out there are killing each other or themselves. It's very sad hearing about this, but it's a very cruel world out there if you don't know what you are doing.

9. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Man, Fathead.....sometimes you have me scratching my head, and then times like this I couldn't agree with you more.

I remember in grade school, 1st & 2nd grade, we had a school wide "Little Indian Relays" at the end of the school year. It was just what it sounds like, a track meet. You win, get a blue ribbon. Run 2nd? Get a red one and so on. Beginning in 3rd grade, they changed it to "Little Indian Play Day". We still ran the races, we still knew who won, yet EVERYBODY received a ribbon. A GREEN ONE. Even as little kids, we couldn't figure out, and were wondering what the Hell?

Now, 35 years later, it all makes sense. Unfortunately. :(

10. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Kids should get cut. Everyone doesn't get hired for a job etc. And kids need to learn hard work to improve upon their skills.......and this is just the kid inside me talking but I hated when kids that sucked were put on my team. Haha.

Fathead is very kind and I think you just misunderstand him sometimes. :)

11. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Maybe so. :)

And yeah, I hated having those kids on my team too...it was their fault I started "winning" green ribbons.

12. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I remember those days. Where I went to school in Indiana we called it Field day. Yea we had red, white, blue, and like you said green ribbons. A question for you. When you were in middle school did they give swats? They would beat the crap out of us. I remember getting a swat for running in the hallway. There's no punishment in most schools today!! The kids today seem way to fragile to me. There's no discipline put forth on these kids of today.

13. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Yup. We called 'em "licks". Avoid the coaches at ALL COSTS! If they saw you getting licks, they'd match them later, if you were an athlete.

Needless to say, after one or two times, we were quite well behaved.

I would have NEVER spoken to an adult the way kids do today. It was absolutely shocking if someone did it back then.

14. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

I hated when someone would talk back to the coach because we all had to run suicides or worse....

15. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Back when i was in school our basketball team had an awards banquet at the end of basketball season. Our banquet always went like...the coaches had their favorites "kiss asses" and they got the highest awards. The "award" that always got me was the most heart award, it was the " you suck and sat on the bench most of the time but you still stayed around" award,lol

16. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

My HS Lacrosse coach used to use me a gauge when others would misbehave. If too many were goofing around the coach would call a character building practice - all running, full gear, no breaks - laps, sprints, hills, directionals ... you name it, we ran it.

Problem was I was the fastest kid on the team and could run for the longest time/distances. This would go on literally for hours - 2,3 even 4hrs+ once (Saturday practice - too many teammates showed up hungover ... lots of puke on the field that day).

Needless to say it did build character :cool:

17. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Haha, yeah. The "spirit" award was another....