Dissipator

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by AndyRexia, Feb 27, 2013.

1. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

I currently have a carbine length AR-15. I have a free float quad rail and a low pro gas block. I want to turn my upper into a dissipator upper. I'm thinking I will need a barrel nut, delta ring assembly, a handguard cap, and a front sight assembly. Oh and rifle length handguards. What am I missing?

2. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Your barrel has to be cut with the proper reliefs for a fixed fsb. Not all are.

4. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

So you're saying it would be a pita?

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

no. you just need to contact the barrel maker/supplier to see if your barrel has been profiled to mount a fixed fsb if you plann on using one.

6. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

For a true dissipator dont you have to move the gas hole on the barrel as well?

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

You could get a clamp on front sight, like a folding one from PRI or YHM.

8. That kinda depends....
    You could build a dissapator with either a carbine or a mid-length gas system, which remains intact (in the same place) while a front sight base is affixed in front of it. The forward FSB isn't connected to the gas system, of course.

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Yes a true dissy will have a rifle gas system. A mock dissy will have to have 2 gas blocks if you want a fixed FSB up front.

10. [​IMG]
    Easier than a thousand words, right?

11. - and the thousand words of explanation I just found, courtesy of CalGuns.Net.

12. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

IMO a dissy is not just cosmetic. to have the "dissipation" the gas system should be rifle lenght.
    not just be a dissy-look for the range buddies :)

13. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

real dissys can be problematic, not enough dwell time. mock dissys have that problem sovled. IMHO its gotta work gud, then look gud.

14. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

Never mind. PSA has dissy uppers in stock so I ordered one.

15. Seven

Seven New Member

Read the fine print. Those are "mock" dissipators. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

16. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

Yeah that's actually what I wanted :)

17. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Honestly a mocks will be a better choice. We are anxiously awaiting our gratuitous pron.

18. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

Dude I'm excited. Will be my 4th, and probably final, build. I've wanted a dissy for a long time. I just love the way they look. Of course it has to function properly too. Its a PSA so I have nothing but confidence. I did a good amount of research before making this thread. I wanted to make my current upper into a dissy upper, just wasn't sure if it was possible. Dumb luck really that PSA put them back up on their site right when I made this thread. I'll post pics once I get it. It's going on a Spike's Punisher lower.

19. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I really liked mine before the boating accident. I had a carbine length gas system.

[​IMG]

20. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

I'm never taking my guns on a boat. Heard to many horror stories on this site about boating accidents.