Disguisted ! ! !

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by diggsbakes, Aug 23, 2010.

1. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I'm totally disgusted with my local FFL. Many of you have heard me complain about my local dealers in many ways, from selection, to prices, to service, etc. but this latest incident trumps all of it, by far.

I made the decision a few months ago to begin making purchases online, so the owners may be more inclined to bargain with me, especially in regards to used firearms. The first transfer was interesting, they immediately showed me a similar gun, in slightly better condition, but different manufacturer for a close price. I actually would have preffered the gun at the store as opposed to the one I ordered, but oh well.

Now here's how the next one went:

I got a killer deal on a like-new GP100 from an individual on gunbroker. I really wanted this gun to come with the Family and I this past weekend on our camping trip. I was gonna sneak off to shoot it in a safe area, practice with it using snap caps by the fire and just bond with it. . . you know. . . So I negotiated the seller to next day the gun to my FFL. I haven't sent anything this way in quite sometime and did not realize the astronomical cost. . . $70.36 from MI to CO.

The seller was way cool about it and didn't complain, but I felt guilty as hell. :(

This was Monday. I called the gun store on Tuesday and was told it hadn't arrived. Blew it off until Thursday and called again. The "business manager" (23 year old girl) "forgot" to check their UPS that day, so I called again on Friday before we left for the Mountains and was told "no sorry, nothing from MI in the UPS".

I was pretty irritated, not just because the gun wasn't there, but I thought I was "misled" into believing the seller actually next-day shipped it and my guilt was unnecessary. I was even considering sending the seller half of the cost.

So I e-mailed the seller and simply stated "just to let you know, there is still no gun." He asked if I was sure and I said yes. Surly the gun had not arrived or I would know, especially since I had been bugging them all week long.

Well, the seller sent me the tracking # and it showed delivered on 8-17 with "proof of delivery". If that's not enough it was signed by the "business manager", herself.

So not only did this poor guy pay for next day shipping, he had to spend extra time proving he did his part and the buyer (me) didn't get his gun even the same week of purchase. All because this place isn't organized or just doesn't care about transfers. The attitude I get is that they aren't really "theirs".

I'm really considering a big "scene" when they are crowded and demanding repayment of the shipping cost to the seller. I know it won't happen, but this is really poor in my eyes.

Any thoughts?

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Better Business Bureau and posting the same story on any local gun boards would be a great start.

I have heard these stories before and I just don't understand them. How many guns are you ordering in at any given time? Let alone the fact that this was a gun that was shipped to you from owner to owner, there was no factory involved.

Sorry to hear that Diggs, but I would definitely get the word out there and let people know.

I have found that the BBB angle takes time, but if the store has interest in keeping their name clean, they will respond. A local car dealer screwed me out of some money on a repair that should have been covered by warranty. I filed, and had to wait some time, but the dealership ended up giving me 100% of my money back to make the complaint go away.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

I would be seriously pissed. I would request a refund of the shipping to the seller, or a refund of the transfer fee to allow a personal refund of some part of the shipping cost to the seller.

Further, i would FULLY explain to the shop's "manager" the reasons i was now shopping online more. I would also go on to explain that i would not only be looking for a new gun shop or transfer-friendly FFL, but that I would personally be relating my experiences IN GREAT DETAIL and with EMPLOYEE and SHOP NAMES to everyone i shoot with, eat with, and do business of any kind with (not to mention posting such experiences online with the shop name for anyone searching for a shop via the interweb). First-hand accounts of poor service should go a LONG way toward updating the shop's reputation.

This may sound mean & petty, but it is actually a kindness to your fellow shooter and to the long-term health of that shop.

Good luck with those goofballs.

4. amoroque

amoroque New Member

WOW! that is terrible customer service!

maybe its about time to get your FFL......or if you are interested I have a few friends with their FFL that you can get firearms for you.

Just PM me if you need any names......I would also like to know which store you are dealing with (PM?)so that I dont patronize that place!

5. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

So did you get the gun?

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I'm sorry to hear of this, but I would be looking for another FFL.

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I would choke her with my .... OOPS wrong forum.

I would go in and raise hell about the shipping and tell them That if they don't reimburse the $71 I would tell everyone I could find that they are a crappy place to deal with. Word of mouth goes a long darn way.

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I would let them know that I'd be contacting the ATF about the way they do business. If they did not log the gun in as soon as it was received they are in violation of the law. If they did, you have proof positive that they lied and kept your gun under false pretenses.

Yeah, I'd play hardball with these asshats and no FFL wants the ATF crawling up their azz...

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

And all the time, they're making money off transfers! They do them, so they must be worth their time.

Complete BS, I would raise hell. Negative feedback word-of-mouth may be slow....but it's effective!

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Causing a scene will have little impact on the shop. (It may be therapeutic for you, but they will just dismiss you to questioning customers as a PITA customer that never is satisfied.)

Protest by telling everyone who they are, (interwebzz, by mouth etc.) and vote with your wallet. Shop elsewhere. They have provided you with a sample of their customer service.

A good FFL is one you can trust, like a good mechanic, once you find one give him your business.

Another piece of sage advice; when I put down the money, the gun is mine and I want the tracking info so I know where my investment is as I follow it to the FFL. When I call my FFL I know its there and the name of the employee that signed for the package.

11. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Been there, done that.....

Ordered a new Beeman RX-1 air rifle and "extras" from a local FFL who also happens to be the only Beeman dealer in this area that I know of. "Wow," says the salesman - "we've never sold one of those before". Paid the total bill up-front to the tune of approx $800. Was told the gun would be there the following week on Tuesday. Went down to pick it up on Tuesday - "Sorry it hasn't come in yet.... try again on Thursday. Come Thursday, same story. "It should be here next Wednesday." At this point, I am seriously PO'ed.

I went back the following Wednesday, determined to come back home with my rifle or my money back in full. (My bank is REAL good about reversing CC charges.) :D

Told the gent behind the counter I was there to pick up my items. I get some hemming and hawing, and he says I'll go in back and check on it.....
    As he turns and walks by I noticed a new Beeman RX-1 box leaning up against the back wall behind the counter. He comes back 5 minutes later and (you guessed it) "No, sorry it's not here yet......."

OK, fine. Here is my receipt. I want all my money back. Go get the owner or manager NOW! More stuttering ensues......
    So then another individual comes out and says let me take another look for you. As he turns to walk back, he pauses and tries to nonchalantly grab the (obviously empty) Beeman box and carries it off with him. Several minutes later he returns with (what do you know?) all my items. :mad:
    After getting the gun home and looking it over I took it to my basement to test fire it. Loaded a pellet and pulled the trigger....

My ears rang for about an hour after that. Not only had they been "playing" with my new rifle for a week or more - but they did it after over pressurizing the gas spring so that it fired at 1200 FPS! The gun dieseled and the crack produced from the rifle (supersonic pellet) in my enclosed basement was certainly unexpected as was the smoke rolling out of the muzzle. As I had no hearing protection on (since this IS an air gun) the blast similar to a .22LR going off in that environment immediately reminded me of what tinnitus is all about.

I have not, and will never set foot in that place again. I also relay my story to every single local shooter I come in contact with that utters the name of that establishment - and will let them decide if they want to do business there or not. The place was destroyed once before by a fire. Here's to hoping history repeats itself. :cool:

12. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

What NGIB said. If they can't account for every item at the drop of a hat, they aren't accounting. Put the peen to them.

13. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

This is exactly what I would do.

I would also go to Yelp.com and tell my story. Online reviews are forever.

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

FWIW, there is a gent in the Guiness World Book as the Most Effective Complainer, and he had a standrd line he used. I have tried it, and it usually works.

While it may be satisfying to walk into the shop and strip the bark off everyone in there, it may not pofit you much.

Ask to speak to the owner. Your trigger is when the owner says the magic words- "What can I do for you?" Your response should be "First, may I tell you what your (staff, company, shop) has ALREADY done for me?" Calmly explain the increased cost, inconvenience, etc. I would seek reimbursement for the additional shipping costs, and waiving the transfer fee. Save the threats to trash their name to every shooter in that area code, to never darken their door again, etc. Oh, you can DO that- just do not voice it.

15. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I didn't have time to stop by the shop today, but I called that bitchy "Business Manager" and asked if she remembered my constant inquiring last week about the GP100. She said yes and went back to look again, what do you know the gun was right there. :mad:

I began to explain how I had basically accused the seller of not shipping in accordance with our agreement. She managed to come out with a forced "sorry". I went on about how much the shipping was and how I really wanted that gun for the weekend camping trip. She then coped an attitude and ended the conversation with "Well, it's here."

I guess tomorrow I'll speak with the owners and see what they'll do. I'm still in disbelief. :mad:

16. russ

russ New Member

You definitely need to bypass her and go straight to the owner(s). That kind of attitude and lack of service is garbage. I like c3's input, usually a big display will get you nowhere, but a quiet, calm discussion with the owner may have much better results.