Disclaimer Courtesy?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by imdaveg, Feb 8, 2013.

1. imdaveg

imdaveg New Member

My wife and I just picked up our first firearm tonight. We have two children in the home, and many of our friends have children.

We were also asked tonight by a family to watch their kids overnight next week.

So, we raised the question to each other... do we tell people that we have a gun in the house? It's in a locked safe and very secure.

But, is there a common courtesy to let people know (especially if we are watching their kids) that we are gun owners? I feel like I would respect someone if they showed care in letting me know. However, seeing how sensitive a subject guns can be, and people's very passionate views one way or another...

Wondering what you all think. Better left unsaid? A respectful gesture of trust?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    imdaveg

2. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Tell them it might be a great way to get out of watching their kid. :D

3. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Only if they ask///Even then it's up to you to decide to reveal or maintain Op sec.

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

That is a very tough question, indeed. I say don't say anything. Are you going to tell them you have a big butcher's knife in the kitchen? Are you going to point out the coffee table has a sharp edge? Are you going to bring up that if you need to drive them somewhere there's a possibility you could be in a car crash?

That is a tough one for me, though. Most of my life I was afraid of guns and was pretty darned anti-gun. I did worry that my kids were going to other's homes to play and they very possibly had guns in those homes. I live in a pretty rural town and guns are a pretty common thing around here. I did tell my children to never touch a gun if they ever saw one in someone else's home. I never asked the other parents if they had guns in their homes, though. I know in my home my guns are always securely locked up. My daughter flipped when I got a gun. She actually cried and said she was afraid to let my granddaughter come over. I showed her the Gun Vault I have and told her to try to open it. Of course, she couldn't. It's the kind with the 4 finger keypad. I also told her I love my granddaughter more than I can ever express and I would never endanger her with my guns. Now, 3 years later, the subject never comes up.

5. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Follow your conscience. Utimately that is you and your wifes decision. You have stated that it is kept in a safe manner. As winds said, "are you going to tell them about the large knife in the kitchen also".

6. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

what you choose to use for self defense of your home is your business. Unless one of your friends comes out and states they have a problem with guns than keep the info to yourself ;)

Folks like to gossip ... before you know it your friends gossip could cause you problems :cool:

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Agree with Dog on this one. Don't ask, don't tell.

8. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Many many people own guns in the USA, that's common knowledge. That should be enough.

9. trip

trip New Member

Obviously the trust/respect issue is high enough for you to watch the kids. I wouldn't tell them but I wouldn't hide it if it was brought up either.

10. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

^^^^THIS^^^^
    You're responsible to make sure other curious eyes and hands do not have the opportunity to accidently find or touch them. No need to tell otherwise unless they ask, as there should be no concerns since it will be locked up or on your person when you have other kids in your house.

11. deadeye

deadeye New Member

I have kids and was asked once if their were firearms in my house prior to a play date. I told the other parent the truth and then explained that they were all locked in a large safe. The other parent didn't have a problem once they knew they were completely secure. I don't think I'd tell anyone unless they asked. You know everything is secure, so keep things to yourself unless specifically asked. Why raise unnecessary concerns?

12. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

As a gun owner you are legally liable if a minor gains access to your guns. Make sure they are secured and that can't happen. Beyond that if the other parents ask, then tell them the truth, including how you have them secured, etc.

I also live in CA, when my kids were young I had exactly one mother ask about guns when her kids were left with us to care for. She still left her kids with us. (we were the go-to family for when they had an emergency and needed to drop off the kids). Later on I arranged for the County Sheriff to come to the school and do a firearms safety presentation. It was attended by over half of the kids in the school. All of the feedback that I heard afterwards was positive, even from the anti-gun families. My justification was that we live in a rural community and if your kids were to come across a gun they need to know how to be safe. Period. I think all kids should have the same training, based on Eddie Eagle, in school. There is no pro- or anti- gun instruction, just "Stop. Don't touch. Get away. Find an adult." Pretty straightforward.

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

A better question is? Do you have prescription drugs in the bath room?:eek:

14. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Nope. Those are in a nice cut glass candy dish in the living room.;)

15. sewserious

sewserious New Member

I wouldn't volunteer the information. Years ago, when my daughters where youngsters, I had a mother of a child who was coming to spend the night with my youngest ask if we had guns in the house. The answer was "no". It was none of her business, they were legally owned, and locked up safely with ammo stored separately. My daughters knew where the guns were kept but not the ammo and they had been taught gun safety. The area of the house they were in (the master bedroom) was off limits if either hubby or I were not in there. My daughters respected that even at a young age so there was no reason to worry that any child would get a hold of my guns.

16. imdaveg

imdaveg New Member

Agreed. Thanks everyone.

17. kjdeut

kjdeut New Member

I agree with Trio, I wouldn't say anything unless asked. I think a lot depends on how close of a relationship you have with these people.
    I am fairly new to handguns (grew up around long guns) and play it pretty close to the chest on who (friends and family) I talk to about them.

18. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

There is no need to disclose that.