Firearms Talk banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
PeeJay, I use a bore guide with one-piece steel rods for serious work. Keeps muzzle wear to zero. Since much of my cleaning is on front-stuffers, having a multi-piece rod come apart is terribly hard to deal with. My favorite rods are the G.I. surplus .50 steel rods for really heavy, crusty, acumpucky-filled concrete bugger work - mostly for large calibers.

In a pinch (caught somehow where I don't have my good stuff), the screw-together rods might work for cartridge guns. Had too many break at the screw-together joint or come uscrewed b/c rifling twist was opposite the screw direction.

If it can be broken or messed up, I've done it. One time I got a rod stuck in a muzzle-loader barrel. All attempts to dislodge it didn't work. So...I clamped the barrel in a bench vise, hooked a rope to the rod and tied the other end to my riding lawnmower. Bench vise broke. Rod did move up a little bit, so I was able to wiggle it enough to get it out. That was dumb. Two times I had to unbreech the barrels to get rods out (both aluminum).

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Yea it’s a matter of preference but you won’t harm the barrel with steel. I junked the 3 piece rifle rods a couple years ago for one piece steel rods. Stripped threads and bending with aluminum and brass rods just became tiresome.

·
Premium Member
12,542 Posts
Just buy a nice one piece carbon fiber rod and be done with it. If you don't need four feet to store your rifle cleaning rod, you need a new rod. ;) I learned a long time ago, buy good tools and take good care of them; it is cheaper in the long run.

Reactions: PeeJay1313

·
Premium Member
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just buy a nice one piece carbon fiber rod and be done with it. If you don't need four feet to store your rifle cleaning rod, you need a new rod. ;) I learned a long time ago, buy good tools and take good care of them; it is cheaper in the long run.
I think im sold on carbon fiber ones.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts