Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to buy a cleaning kit on the fly. Figured, Hoppe's, grab and go, can't go wrong.. Back at the hotel go to use it.. hmm Cleaning rod magnetic, FLAG.. HOPPE'S did a steal cleaning rod? FTH.. Disappointed... Or, is there a reason for a metallic cleaning rod??
20210406_192335.jpg
20210406_192201.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
PJ I’ve heard this before , don’t use a steel cleaning rod and I don’t buy it. That cleaning rod is softer than your rifle or pistol barrel. Everybody is cheaping up these days so get used to it.

·
Premium Member
4,223 Posts
PJ I’ve heard this before , don’t use a steel cleaning rod and I don’t buy it. That cleaning rod is softer than your rifle or pistol barrel. Everybody is cheaping up these days so get used to it.
Problem is that sooner or later the crown of a firearm can be worn or nicked by steel rods.
That is very evident in surplus rifles. I by far prefer a brass cleaning rod followed by Aluminum.

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
More likely to imbed a chip of hardened steel on any cleaning rod and do damage than the actual cleaning can. I’m talking strictly of modern firearms

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
Surplus rifles were cleaned in the field stone grit and debris are harder than the barrel . its hard to scratch hardened steel with soft steel.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
Most of the Hoppes kits I have ever seen include a 3 piece rod. Used to be primarily aluminum but I guess they have moved to steel. The older aluminum stuff was junk, but I have not really looked at their three piece steel rods; I doubt they are quality. I won’t use a three piece rod unless I am made desperate by unforeseen circumstance. I have an Otis kit for travel and single piece steel and carbon fiber rods on the bench. Generally speaking, I appreciate Hoppe’s #9 solvent, otherwise I do not use most of their other products.

·
Premium Member
10,921 Posts
Steel cleaning rods, steel case ammo, I use 'em all.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts