Dirty= Better groups?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by sagenodland, Jun 22, 2012.

1. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

I brought out my. 17hmr shot 5 groups. Each one wasabout an inch across at 100 yards.
    Shot at a couple of cans ans such and i went through all 50 rounds in the box.
    This is the crazy part I opened the other box and had a 5 round group to find my group was the size of a dime! This shocked me because I've always been tought that guns get more inaccuate the more you shoot them (because of the copper,lead and powder).

Have you guys had a similar experience?

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Maybe a little practice went a long way.

Just a thought.

3. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Yep. All the time. A gun that's freshely cleaned w oil in the barrel is less accurate because the oil downstairs allow good grip between the lands and the bullet. That's why your supposed to run a few dry patches down the barrel before firing. Same concept w a fouling shot.

4. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

Could be true.
    But out of 5 groups all consitently 1 inch?

5. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

Good to know.
    I will keep that in mind when shooting "long range" with my .17 (>300 yards :p)

6. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Probably combination of fouling the bore and practice. Also by chance could it be the second batch of ammo is more accurate. If they have different lot #s there is more of a chance of difference.

7. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

It's true. I work with a guy that does bullseye shooting and he swears by it. He clames to have a 30-30 that holds tighter groups after 3 shots.

8. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I usually associate dirty with looser, but that's another thread..

9. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Rotflmao!!!

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Hey now play nice primer.........the trolls might report you;)

11. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Everyone sing the dirty butt song!!

12. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

Well this thread is a little...off topic
    Yeah I'll say off topic

13. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

There are so many factors that it ain't even funny, up to & including the barrel heating up and moving ever so slightly...

Look up "Cold Bore Zero" and go from there...

14. Biggjimm

Biggjimm New Member

I think a lot of it has to do with a clean bore having more friction than after its had a couple rounds run through it & also once you've shot a couple rounds thru a clean bore the fouling allows for a tighter seal to the rifling & all the expanding pressure staying behind the bullet & pushing it allowing for greater accuracy? Seems to make sense but I could be totally wrong??? All I know is my 10/22 will have a couple flyers in each group for the first 10 or 12 shots if I have thoroughly cleaned & scrubbed the bore, which I don't do very often. Usually I just run a patch thru 1 quick time with hoppes or rem bore bright & pull a bore snake thru about 5 or 6 times & it will stay pretty consistent from the first shot on. Most of the diff is me I think. If I'm not going shoot for a while I'll run an oil patch thru it but clean it out before shooting it next time.

15. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I know several experienced shooters who don't clean their .22's until it starts to misfire. I don't clean my .22 after every trip to the range but I do clean it before it begins to misfire. I can't stand a dirty gun and I'm afraid it's going to ruin the finish if I leave it dirty. I just think .22's do better when after some use.