Direct impingement or gas piston?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by rugerry, Aug 28, 2012.

1. rugerry

rugerry New Member

So I'm stuck in the cross roads and want peoples ideas and opinions. What is better, a gas piston setup or direct impingement? I do a lot of range shooting and tactical lane shooting, but want something that I can jump out of the water with without it taking my face off. What do you guys think and what are thoughts?

2. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

I have both. My piston is cleaner....but i trust my life to my dgi's

ForumRunner_20120828_185637.jpg

ForumRunner_20120828_185711.jpg

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Under those conditions..piston.

4. rugerry

rugerry New Member

With you gas piston, I know they are cleaner, but other than that what are the upsides to them? I don't mind cleaning my weapon. ( currently infantry in the US ARMY) I read that with the gas piston, you don't have to drain the barrel if coming out of water? Any truth to this?

5. rugerry

rugerry New Member

What makes you not trust ur life to ur piston?

6. fetep

fetep New Member

Buy a DI, I did all the research, was buying a CQB MRP piston,I had decided the piston is what I needed, I ended up with the DI, why you ask? It just felt better, it does everything I have ever asked it to do, and I assure you it's waterproof.

Fetep

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I can tell you training with di includes a yank on the charging handle to break the seal so that the gun doesn't go kaboom.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

Nope. Still gotta break the seal and drain the water.

DI has fewer parts to break

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

That's typical piston BS. Common sense tells you that you'd drain water from a barrel no matter what the cycling action. No doubt the gas tube is an extra issue but it drains too. Let's face it, any weapon that gets submerged needs a little attention and inspection before firing unless you have to get off a shot now.

10. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

^^^ what he said...water doesn't know or care what kind of gas system you have and will fill the barrel if the gun is submerged.

11. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

There are a TINY percentage of the piston AR's that you can rise out of the water without draining the gun and take a shot with minimal risk of a catastrophic failure, but they can all go kaboom in your face. If you are going to play seal wanna-be like that, get some serious ballistic face protection. My piston is really reliable, but that is much further than I want to risk. HK has a few youtube vids that demonstrate their guns doing that, but how many failures did they go through to get that shot? Yeah, I know a seal with a HK 416 got Bin Ladin, yada, yada. And I used to be one of the biggest champions of the AR piston http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-15-cycling-operation-discussion-35134/ but I have 2 DI's to my one piston. All of my guns will shoot any brand of ammo. The piston is a little more reliable and a little less time to clean. Just not enough to justify the extra cash I had to shell out to buy the setup. I found out through trial and error that the DI system didn't take as much time to clean as my drill sergeants had preached, and a little oil can go a long way. I put together my guns with quality parts, not super expensive, just not bottom of the barrel, and they serve me just fine.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  12. rugerry

rugerry New Member

Well looks like I'll go with my original thoughts. Spikes chrome vanadium bcg and an adjustable gas block