Dipping guns

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by blitzen25cat, Sep 15, 2013.

1. blitzen25cat

blitzen25cat New Member

I think it's kind of cool. Probably give it to my grandson.:D. What say you? Best regards Dick

Attached Files:

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

CAT,

That is one fine looking piece! And Great Job!

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I'm liking that skull pattern on that 1911. Looks great!

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

It looks like a zombie shooter. :)

5. blitzen25cat

blitzen25cat New Member

I would not do that to my Colt 1911a1. What you see here is a Star Model Super in 9MM Largo...an old spanish pistol that I've had for years. A gunsmith friend of mine started dipping guns and bows. Howhe does it I don't know but it sure looks cool. Here's before and after pics.

Attached Files:

6. n4sir45

n4sir45 New Member

Who did your work for you and what did it cost? I have the same pistol and mine is somewhat a little bit worse looking then your. Do you have any problems with it before you had it dipped? I think mine needs a good cleaning.I have no idea how to strip it apart all of the way. I am not good at putting them back together LOL
    If your friend wabnts to talk give me his email.
    Brian

7. K75_rider

K75_rider New Member

You can find the manual for old Star pistols on the Internet. I have an old Star model B made in the late 40s or early 50s that I simply typed in manual Star model B in a search engine and found multiple downloads available. With that you can teach yourself how to clean it and break it down. Its similar to a 1911 in that regard. They are well made old pistols.

8. WilsonN

WilsonN New Member

Does anyone know how to remove the hydrographics off the gun? I have hydrographics on my AR-15 but I want to take it back to the all black look. Does anyone know the best way to do it? I was thinking about just soaking the parts in acetone ... but I really have no idea what to do ... any help would be appreciated.

9. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

Maybe Hoppe's #9 Solvent? It's got Kerosene in it, I have yet to see something Kerosene won't cut.

10. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Member

Buy a second AR and leave that one alone.....everyone knows you need more than one AR:)

11. customammo72

customammo72 New Member

I love it!!! I have a rifle stock that I want that design done on so bad. The skulls were our symbol when I was in the military and we each wear small metal skulls around our necks. We were very tight knit and kept each other alive thru hell. I love that pattern so much, I wish I could do this.

12. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Brian. here is a link to a site with an owner's manual for a star super sm.

http://stevespages.com/pdf/star_super-sm.pdf

this should get you in the ballpark on tear down and assembly.

The homepage for a couple of site for manuals that I use all the time:

http://www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/

http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/

13. va-firearms

va-firearms New Member

The best way to strip it off is to blast it and refinish it. We do both hydrographics and cerekote. For you gentlemen looking to get stuff dipped in this pattern we would love to do it! as far as stripping and returning it to a black finish we also would be glad to do it ! This gun looks great although we would polish or refinish the hammer trigger and barrel to really make her pop excellent dip work looks great !