Dinner, what's up?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by boatme98, Sep 13, 2012.

1. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

Fried chicken and cinnamon apple pie

TankTop, winds-of-change and boatme98 like this.
  2. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

Last night I made chicken picatta, served over rice, and a small salad.

winds-of-change likes this.

3. gambler

gambler Member

Grilled marinated chicken fajitas with guacamole, sour cream, grated cheese, black olives, grilled onions and peppers, hot salsa and jalapenos. They were delicious and have enough to eat again tonight. Great with a couple of Miller Lights.

4. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

Make a breakfast omelette with leftover fajitas!

boatme98, G66enigma and PeeJay1313 like this.
  5. gambler

gambler Member

Interesting idea...thanks

PeeJay1313 likes this.
  6. boatme98

Loin chops in a onion gravy with mashed red potatoes.

7. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Better yet: Machaca. You fry the meat, onions, and some peppers. And then break a in a couple of eggs, and stir it together. Serve with refries and tortillas.

boatme98 likes this.
  8. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Better yet: Machaca. You fry the meat, onions, and some peppers. And then break a in a couple of eggs, and stir it together. Serve with refries and tortillas.

9. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Strange one, tonight: a proper fermented kimchi, and sardines. (With a dollup of sour cream on top, as the kimchi's a rather hot one.)

Not everyone's cup of tea, I'll bet. But, yum! on the flavors. Amazing, what a traditionally-fermented kimchi can be. This one's from a decent local Asian market that carries an amazing array of such items.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    winds-of-change and boatme98 like this.
  10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

My son ferments his own kimchi.

11. boatme98

I just made a really good copy of the Big Mac sauce, so it's a big Mac tonight. Don't know what else I'll have with it yet.

Sauce:
    1/2 Cup mayo
    2 Tbs relish
    1 1/2 Tbs yellow mustard
    1/2 Tbs barbeque sauce
    1 1/2 Tbs cider or white vinegar
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/2 tsp paprika. NOT smoked!
    1/4 tsp salt

Mix, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
    I suppose you could use very finely chopped onions instead of the powder but I'm lazy.
    To my taste, this really is a dead ringer for mcdonald's sauce.
    You could use this as a dip.

12. G66enigma

If interested in DIY versions, here's a fairly good recipe for mustard.

Roman Mustard recipe @ The Splendid Table.

Ingredients:
    About 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon (5 ounces) brown mustard seed
    1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    3/4 cup unsweetened red grape juice
    1 1/2 teaspoons very coarse salt, such as Maldon
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds, finely ground
    1/4 cup (1 ounce) flaked almonds
    1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon (1½ ounces) untoasted pine nuts
    Preparation:
    1. Soak the mustard seeds: Place the mustard seeds in a medium glass or ceramic bowl along with the vinegar and grape juice. Mix in the salt and cumin seeds. Set aside, covered (but not sealed airtight), for 36 to 48 hours.

2. Place the mixture in a food processor and process for 1 to 2 minutes until the seeds are coarsely ground. Add the almonds and pine nuts and pulse a few times just until the nuts are completely broken up, careful not to over-process. This makes about 2 1/2 cups mustard.​

I've tried it without about half the salt, without the pine nuts, and a dash more cumin. I tend to prefer a bit more mustard tang to things, so I slightly boosted the amount of mustard seeds as well. Either way, it tastes pretty good.

boatme98 likes this.
  13. winds-of-change

I just use thousand island salad dressing.

14. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member Supporter

This is something I would like to try

15. winds-of-change

I have been making yogurt weekly for a couple years now. I also make my own sauerkraut. I’m not sure I like Kimchi but my son ferments all kinds of veggies, including Kimchi. My son-in-law was born in Korea and is big in Kimchi, sushi, etc.

G66enigma likes this.
  16. RKB

RKB Well-Known Member

Lasagna. It is such a pain in the butt to make it, but I've not had good lasagna in a restaurant for 30 years, and my recipe is perfect to my taste. I make a double batch, cut it into serving-size pieces and stuff my freezer with it. Should get me thru to this time next year.

17. G66enigma

Love a good lasagna.

I make a reasonable one, as well (at least, for my tastes). I, too, think it's better than most of the restaurant ones.

Making a big batch and then freeze the rest. Good way to do it, and it's the only way I will. Funny, but removed from the freezer and reheated, the "leftovers" end up tasting even better, I think. Have a soup recipe that's like that, as well. Flavors meld and work better, once resting, frozen, then reheated.

boatme98 and RKB like this.
  18. boatme98

Tonight I made cranberry sauce and some speatzle. Served them with pork loin chops seasoned with chardonnay salt, white pepper, and sage. They were thin do I just pan fried them.

19. winds-of-change

We had big, fat, juicy hamburgers, fries and a Caesar salad.

boatme98 likes this.
  20. winds-of-change

Fermenting is very easy. Just prep the veggies, put it in a mason jar and wait a couple weeks. The longer it ferments, the more tangy it is.
    Okay. You made me want lasagna. I made some today. It was pretty darned good. Thanks for the suggestion. Preceded by a Caesar salad.

Attached Files: