Dinner, what's up?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by boatme98, Sep 13, 2012.

1. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

@SSGN_Doc , well that risotto recipe sounds tasty. Hmmm ...

Have had good risotto a couple of times where the notes were definitely savory ... rosemary and sage, I believe, with a very light addition of some sort of savory spice (never did find out which ... small amounts of cumin, cardamom and sumac, perhaps; don't know).

I can see having enough of a good chicken broth. (Funny, but I've got a big bird cooking down right now, so plenty of good broth will come of that and the carcass, once I add celery, carrot, onion, and some herbs.) A risotto will do nicely.

Thanks for the recipe suggestion.

SSGN_Doc likes this.
  2. G66enigma

Don't recall ever having had one of those.

Apparently they're something between banana and mango, with a tart taste of citrus in between. Sounds pretty great.

They grow from Florida to the Canadian/American border, roughly from the Mississippi River valley eastward.

sheriffjohn likes this.

3. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

I missed out on the chestnuts. I overslept this morning, by the time I got to the park there wasn't a single nut on the ground and the trees were picked clean.

winds-of-change and Rifling82 like this.
  4. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

"Management" (wife) made a batch of Paw Paw jelly/jam last night. Looks like baby food but it's pretty good. Daughter came in with another gathering of fall mushrooms from the woods. Some are definitely better than others. Best foraged stuff so far this year were elderberries and pears. Ok, so the pears weren't wild but they were plentiful and easier to gather. Making 2nd batch of hot pepper jelly right now (my personal favorite).

Have instructions/recioes for acorns but they're not quite ready to fall. One is supposedly a Native American recipe which says to crush acorns between two flat rocks ...etc. I prefer black walnuts, pecans, and hickory nuts as food but we're gonna try it later on.

winds-of-change and boatme98 like this.
  5. G66enigma

Growing up, there were a few pomegranate trees nearby and we occasionally made jam from it. Fairy tasty. A bit like tart plums when cooked down.

Had a couple of peach trees, too. Picked at the right time, they were "heaven" in pies and freshly eaten. Of course, waiting even a few days too long would result in the bees and birds doing a number on them.

6. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

7. boatme98

Acorns are toxic. You can't just eat them. They have to be leached, either whole or after grinding.
    I think the most common use is for flour. It would take a heap of acorns to make enough flour for a short stack!

SRK97 likes this.
  8. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

9. boatme98

I make great lasagna but now that it's just me it's pointless to make it. There's nowhere in this town that makes really good lasagna.

I make my own sauce, use ground beef, pork, and veal, ricotta and cottage and mozzarella cheeses for full flavors.

winds-of-change, ellis36 and PANDEMIC like this.
  10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Always happy to share or swap a good recipe.

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Well, you could make up a full lasagna, batch it and freeze what you don’t eat. Then when you want more and the town doesn’t have a decent source, you are covered.

My wife makes awesome lasagna, but w3 are faced with a similar dilemma, where we can’t consume the leftovers fast enough.

boatme98 and Rifling82 like this.
  12. G66enigma

Like @SSGN_Doc , I freeze them as well.

When I make it, it usually ends up with 8-10 meals' worth of leftovers. Thankfully, lasagna freezes well for a couple of months, so it works out.

Win-win, really. I think a great lasagna that's sat in the refrigerator for a day is something where the flavors end up better once frozen than the hot-from-the-stove original. Saves time, too, given that you make it once but have ten meals from it. (I do this with homemade soup and a variety of other larger-batch dishes. Anything with deeper, complex flavors seems to come out as frozen leftovers far tastier than the original.)

winds-of-change and boatme98 like this.
  13. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

That looks disgusting.
    Balota and I will come eat lasagna with you. We’ll bring the garlic bread and Italian salad.

boatme98 likes this.
  14. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

9357221A-508D-44E3-A6AD-A6E83BDDA9AC.jpeg I’m not even sure how to eat this, rockfish tacos. Visiting Washington so I may as well get my fill of seafood before I go back to the Rockies.

15. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

Stuffed crust 3 meat pizza

boatme98, TankTop and winds-of-change like this.
  16. winds-of-change

Ribs, fried cabbage, shrimp with cocktail sauce.

boatme98, TankTop and PANDEMIC like this.
  17. boatme98

I had a leftover pork cutlet milanese that I served on a butter toasted kaiser roll, with a couple Tbs of pasta sauce and provolone cheese melted over all. And a small salad.

winds-of-change likes this.
  18. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Hot dog at the volleyball game

boatme98 likes this.
  19. winds-of-change

Sirloin pork chop, butternut squash, lentils and stuffing.

boatme98 and TankTop like this.