Dinner, what's up?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by boatme98, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

2. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Two channel catfish caught by 7-year-old grand daughter last night. Her smiles were my dessert.

boatme98 and G66enigma like this.

3. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

BTDT, myself, as a wee lad. Grandpa was beaming and very satisfied with the day, when I caught a small string of bluegill and had them fried up for lunch. I still recall the wonderful look on his face, that day. A bit of pride, a bit of respect, a lot of joy.

"Food" for the soul, that is.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  4. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member Supporter

I made teriyaki chicken on my electric grill, it's all I have for a grill, what my family calls "duck rice" white rice, lipton dry chicken noodle soup mix 2 tbs butter and about 1/2 an onion diced, green beans fresh from the garden with onions and soy sauce.

Also gonna be lunch for the next 3 days IMG_20200901_172732971.jpeg

boatme98 likes this.
  5. mrm14

mrm14 Well-Known Member

Sous Vide (under vacuum) is that you first vacuum seal your meat in a vacuum seal bag. Then you put in a vat with a Sous Vide water heater/circulator and cook for the prescribed time for the type of meat at a low temperature for a few hours. As an example I cook a rib eye or a tri tip for 4 hours at 135 degrees Fahrenheit. Then I cut the vacuum sealed bag open, drain any liquid, pat dry the meat, then sear to finish it with a Sous Vide troch head, skillet with butter, or BBQ grill just to give it some "bark". You can Sous Vide meats and leave in the vacuum seal bags in the refrigerator for a week or so before finishing them with sear to serve. Great for meal prep and something you can do on your day off for the rest of the weeks meals. Meat comes out pink from end to end is not raw like.

G66enigma and winds-of-change like this.
  6. mrm14

mrm14 Well-Known Member

No, searing the meat first doesn't help or work for Sous Vide cooking. Your cooking under vacuum in a heated water at low temperatures. As an example I cook tri tip and rib eye for 4 hours in a water bath, in vacuum sealed bag, at 135 degrees Fahrenheit. Then I take it our of the water vat, cut open bag, pat dry meat, and post sear each side and ends usually no more than 2 minuets total time. Meat comes out more tender/juicy than any other way of cooking it using the Sous Vide method.

G66enigma likes this.
  7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Tonight Balota had a salmon fillet and I had a tilapia loin. We both had a Greek salad and steamed honey butter carrots.

astroman and boatme98 like this.
  8. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

Since it's the 1st week of autumn I fixed the 1st stew of the season.
    A big pot of boeuf bourguignon. About 3# beef, 1/2# bacon, lots of pearl onions, and because I don't like carrots-lots of sauteed mushrooms. And a soupcons of tomato paste to sweeten to make up for the lack of carrots.
    Normally I'd put about a 1/2 Tbs of black currant jelly in to sweeten but I'm fresh out.
    I think I'll serve it over spaetzle and have a small salad for a side.
    A truly international meal! :D

9. boatme98

Oh man!
    IMG_20200926_173932.jpg
    There's no describing how freaking good this is. And it'll be better tomorrow when the flavors meld.
    Got about 5 or 6 more servings in the pot.

The salad has gouda cheese and probably the last local tomato in it with blue cheese dressing.

winds-of-change likes this.
  10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Actually last weekend. Smoked tritip with grilled veggies and beans.

upload_2020-9-26_15-50-17.jpeg

upload_2020-9-26_15-50-54.jpeg

upload_2020-9-26_15-51-20.jpeg

11. G66enigma

Grilled salmon fillet and vegetables. Mildly spiced, with lime juice squeezed over it all. A glass of a great port wine.

boatme98 and SSGN_Doc like this.
  12. G66enigma

SSGN_Doc likes this.
  13. SSGN_Doc

Sounds tasty.

Week before the tritip was cedar plank, grilled salmon, with just some dill, butter and lemon. Rosemary, Mushroom risotto on the side.

boatme98 likes this.
  14. SSGN_Doc

Oops.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  15. G66enigma

I've had grilled salmon a half-hour after catching, on the river. And all it required was some dill, butter and lemon. Amazing.

Rosemary Mushroom risotto, eh? Never could make a fool-proof, tasty risotto. Have always come out the wrong consistency, and a bit "flat" on the flavors. Got a great recipe for a killer risotto?

16. SSGN_Doc

At a loss for what to make for dinner tonite.

17. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Paw-Paws. Daughter just brought in a peck basket full from the creek. Sorta taste like a cross between bananas and mangos. Once a year thing and rare to get them before the deer, coons, possums, squirrels and birds do. Haven't had one in probably 30 years.

G66enigma, boatme98 and SRK97 like this.
  18. boatme98

I saw some chestnuts on the ground today. I didn't have any leather gloves with me so I had to pass. If I remember tomorrow I'll try and get some.

19. SSGN_Doc

Ive been told by an Italian friend that my risotto is too thick, but I like it. She also said the flavor is on point with this recipeAnd the actual rice texture/“doneness“ is correct. She thinks I use too much cheese and not enough broth/wine. She ate it all when she ate at our house though and I don’t think she was “just being polite”, because I asked for an honest opinion, and she doesn’t waste an opportunity like that.

Here you go:
    Ingredients:
    6-8 cups chicken stock
    2 shallots, thin sliced or diced
    3/4 cups Arborio rice (important for texture and cooking time.)
    2 large portobello mushrooms, (caps diced on the large side.)
    8-12 other white or brown medium mushrooms (about 8 oz total, diced)
    3/4 (maybe a bit more) cup of dry white wine
    1/2 stick of butter
    Handful of diced chive
    2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
    3-4 oz mascarpone cheese
    1.5-2 cups of shredded or grated fresh Parmesan cheese.

Method:
    -Start chicken stock boiling
    -Heat butter and sauté shallots
    -Add rice and coat in the butter/shallot Mix and toast lightly While stirring frequently.
    -Stir until the wine is evaporated/absorbed
    -Add 3/4 cup of the hot chicken stock And all the mushrooms and the chives.
    -Stir until mostly absorbed
    -add the Rosemary sprigs and continue to add broth Frequently and continue stirring, trying to maintain a Wavelike motioning the pan while stirring.
    -once the rice is aldente, (approximately 20 minutes) add 3-4 tbsp of Mascarpone cheese and 3/4 cups of Parmesan cheese.
    -Mix well.
    -remove from heat
    -remove the rosemary sprigs
    -cover for 3 min

serve warm and top with more Parmesan if desired.

I think I tend to either short the recipe of some stock/broth, or I put in a bit more Parmesan cheese. It does thicken it up. No one who has tried it has complained to me about it and I like the herbal, earthy, flavor of this recipe.

Stirring a lot is key, and that long cook time as liquid gets added is what cooks that Arborio rice to the proper texture and marries the flavors. Other rice types do not Seem to fare well in my experience To this method and duration of cooking.

G66enigma likes this.
  20. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Freddys Frozen custard and steak burgers ;)

boatme98 likes this.