Dinner, what's up?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by boatme98, Sep 13, 2012.

1. dmodguy

dmodguy Member Supporter

You should check it out. It’s the coolest thing!

2. Lonewolf Mcquade

Lonewolf Mcquade Active Member

Straight up gourmet here tonight. Grilled 1/4lb chili& cheese dogs on grilled sourdough bread w/a mountain of steak fries, pass the Lipitor....☠

winds-of-change likes this.

3. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

Just put a couple of lemon bread loaves in the oven. After the lime bread I made a few weeks ago, thought I'd try lemons.
    Been in the oven for 15 minutes and the house smells like fresh lemons!
    Trial by error here. The lime bread wasn't quite tangy enough for me, so boosted the the lemon. About 3 Tbs. zest and 1 C juice. The batter tasted good, we'll see in a bit.

4. boatme98

Yoiks! What the heck happened?
    IMG_20200709_175821.jpg IMG_20200709_175811.jpg
    Both loaves fell! A lot. That's 2"+
    I've baked a lot of quick cakes before but I'm not a baker, so I don't have a clue what happened.
    This has never happened before.
    They're out of the pans and they taste good but they sure be ugly!

SRK97 likes this.
  5. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Those are cake? What was the basic recipe, and did you follow it to the letter or vary it any? Did you weigh the ingredients or visually measure them in the cups/scoops?

If cake: might have been a bit too little liquid; might have had too much sugar and/or flour; might have used a slightly different ingredient (ie, different flours can result in different protein content, which can impact things); might have required sifting but didn't; or, the oven temp might not have been correct or maintained (ie, via not fully pre-heating, or opening the oven door too frequently).

Some things to look at.

The few times I've had typically-rising things fall is when I've failed to maintain temps with the oven. Typically via not pre-heating sufficiently, or too high a temperature (inducing cooking to completion for some but not all of the item), or opening the door too frequently (inducing less cooking for the elapsed time), or by introducing colder ingredients as opposed to room-temp ingredients. Don't do much baking, these days, but it's been awhile since I've had a cake or bread fall significantly.

boatme98 likes this.
  6. boatme98

I did open the door to check at about 20 minutes in. They were riding nicely, then.
    Maybe too much lemon juice?
    Measured, didn't weigh ingredients.
    The thing is, I've done this before and never had problem.
    Guess I'll just buy lemon cake from now on. :D
    Like I said, the taste is good and it's just for my dialysis snacks, I can live with it.
    Thanks for the help!

7. RKB

RKB Well-Known Member

Tonite was beer brats with slaw and tater salad.
    Tomorrow will be BLT's with my first homegrown tomatoes from this year's garden.

boatme98 and winds-of-change like this.
  8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

My baking always looks ugly but it (almost) always tastes delicious. I’d eat that lemon cake in a heart beat.

boatme98 likes this.
  9. winds-of-change

Yesterday I didn’t want to cook because of having to put our dog to sleep. We ordered a large Chicago style pizza. We had left overs tonight for dinner.

boatme98 likes this.
  10. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The lemon juice reacted with the leavening, and caused the loaf of get very foamy, and when it cooled the air contracted and the loaf collapsed. You may not have let it cook completely, which would have left it semi liquid, and more susceptible to collapsing. Kind of similar to a falling soufflé.

If you try it again cut back on the leavening.

G66enigma and boatme98 like this.
  11. G66enigma

Hm. Same ingredients, same method, same method has worked before, but failed this time? If so, then that suggests perhaps oven temperature had a part to play.

Question: Did they come out a bit soggy? Might simply be too much liquid (lemon juice or otherwise).

To get a good "zing!" of lemon but without all the acid and liquid, a high-grade lemon extract might work well for you. Check out LorAnn Oils. -- like their Lemon Oil (in 1oz, 4oz, 16oz) or their Lemon Bakery Emulsion (more "zing" than the extract).

Over the years, I've done a fairly decent lemon-swirl cheesecake. Of course, those don't need to rise at all, so they're much more tolerant of acids (fruits, zests, juices). But, in this one, I do a large amount of freshly-grated lemon zest (far more than ~3Tbsp), a good amount of a decent lemon extract (several Tbsp), and a modest amount of actual freshly-squeezed juice/pulp. Very lemony, very strong lemon scent. Might have to play with this combination in a cake, but it's one option for keeping a lemony "boosted" flavor but reducing whatever (if any) effects might be going on with the juice.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    winds-of-change and boatme98 like this.
  12. boatme98

Yeah, the cakes are dense and moist in the middle.
    This is why I don't bake for other people. :D it doesn't matter to me what it looks like as long as it's edible.
    Baking is fussy, cooking has a lot of latitude.
    If I'm doing it for others I stick to cheesecakes, pies, turnovers, and the like.
    One of the favorites with guests on the boat was a 3 layer key lime cheesecake. A NY cheesecake base topped with a thin layer of lemon curd, topped with key lime pie filling. Only problem was it took 2 days to make. :D

13. G66enigma

Look on the bright side, though. In a bundt pan, you'd have ended up with a big soggy donut hole instead of a cake. Coulda been worse.

Don't know what your full list of ingredients and amounts might be, but possibly it was too much liquid and not quite enough rise.

A bit lower oven temp, but for longer time, with one-third or one-half less of that liquid (lemon juice), with double or triple the amount of lemon zest, but with a couple of tablespoons of a decent extract. That's a combination of alterations I'd probably try, if in "trial-and-error" mode with a recipe.

boatme98 likes this.
  14. winds-of-change

Tonight I’m making some sort of taco casserole.

Sniper03 likes this.
  15. winds-of-change

Tonight we had wonderfully delicious BLT sandwiches with roasted broccoli and cauliflower.
    RKB’s comment a few posts up made me crave BLT. It was really good.

boatme98 likes this.
  16. G66enigma

The other day, I roasted up a batch of halved Brussels sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, onions and garlic, drizzled with olive oil and lightly coated with herbs and spices. Cooked on a large and deep sheet pan in the oven. Froze up the batch and have been adding it to various dishes all week. Yum.

boatme98 and winds-of-change like this.
  17. winds-of-change

Sounds great.

18. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Had a good Lunch! Big Cheeseburger and Fires. So eating light tonight! Having a Bowl of cold Home Made Seafood Salad. Trying to limit a few calories since we have not been as active as in the past due to the threat of the Virus.

19. G66enigma

Actually had a small fast-food burger today. (Doesn't happen all that often.) Broiled, a good bit of cheese, fresh ingredients. Tasted pretty good. But I still prefer the wood-fired grilled stuff at home or friends' homes. Funny how the right "rub" of spices and herbs, with a bit of Worcestershire and horseradish can make all those fresh ingredients "pop" when it's cooked right.

Dang. Now I'm hungry. o_O

20. winds-of-change

Tonight I made a fancy, gourmet dinner of hot dogs and Bush’s Original baked beans.

RKB and boatme98 like this.