Dinner, what's up?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by boatme98, Sep 13, 2012.

1. RKB

RKB Well-Known Member

Young ones make up into really good stew.

SRK97 likes this.
  2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Brats boiled in beer and onions then charred in the grill. Corn On the cob.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Sniper03 and boatme98 like this.

3. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

What kind of beer?

jigs-n-fixture likes this.
  4. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

Local strawberries are in.
    IMG_20200523_092806.jpg
    $15 flat. I also picked up an angel food cake and some heavy cream.
    Guess what I'm having for lunch. :cool:

winds-of-change likes this.
  5. boatme98

Well dang, I couldn't wait!
    IMG_20200523_103304.jpg
    Nothing like a healthy lunch. And this was nothing like a healthy lunch!
    2 layer Strawberry shortcake with chocolate whipped cream and 70% cocoa almond shavings.

If you don't know how to make whipped cream, it's very easy.

The most important thing is to put your bowl and beaters/whisks in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
    Metal or glass bowl only! No plastic.

1 Cup heavy cream
    2 Tbs sugar or more to taste.
    1 tsp. Vanilla extract. Always use real extracts. Never imitations.

Put sugar in cold bowl. Add cream. Mix until it stiffins. Don't over mix or the milk solids will seperate.
    Store leftover whipped cream in airtight container in refer for up to a week.

Chocolate:
    Mix 2 Tbs sugar and 3 Tbs. Cocoa powder in bottom of bowl and produced.

G66enigma and winds-of-change like this.
  6. winds-of-change

With permission, I used a bottle of Balota’s Sam Adams Boston Lager. I drink Miller Lite and it just doesn’t do it for brats b

Oooo....Balota and I have been eating lots of berries in heavy cream. Absolutely delicious. Strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries with a bit of cream poured on it. Nothing like it. I love summer fruits.

SRK97 and boatme98 like this.
  7. boatme98

Yep, I love berries. I keep store bought frozen raspberries and blackberries on hand all year, they're not bad. Strawberries though are terrible. Better to freeze a bunch when the local ones are available.

At the beginning of summers bounty, I'm always reminded of what the centurione of the praetorian guard stated as they came for Cleopatra, " We come to seize her berry, not praise it!"
    images (20).jpeg

RKB likes this.
  8. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Or just get a “Whip-It”. Whip-it! Pro Whipped Cream Dispenser 1/2L Rubber Coated, Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL4LS16/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_.nwYEbSP8F974

Keep the Whip-It in the fridge, and when you need to make new whipped cream, just add the ingredients, shake for a moment, then charge with nitrous oxide. If the cream is fresh, the filled unit will keep in the fridge for several weeks.

9. boatme98

But I already have a bowl and a mixer. Why would I need something else taking up space and that needs pricey refills?
    And besides, you just know the nitrous would always be gone when you actually wanted to make whipped cream. :cool:

10. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Whipped cream done the traditional way. Oh, yeah. A tiny bit of work, for a great result. No special tools, no great expense. One of life's simple pleasures.

boatme98 likes this.
  11. winds-of-change

*laughs in a very high pitched voice*

boatme98 likes this.
  12. winds-of-change

Tonight we had a salad, Steamed Brussels sprouts and my version of Swiss steak.

13. boatme98

Tonight was braciole alla panna over egg noodles.
    Then we had a little neighbor get together in the driveway which led to a few Dewar's.

14. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member Supporter

I love frozen berries in heavy cream, ice cream is my biggest healthy eating struggle, it isn't quite ice cream but it's closer enough to trick my brain most of the time.
    Can I just come live with you?

boatme98 likes this.
  15. boatme98

I just made a balsamic cayenne reduction to put on some of the fresh strawberries.
    It'll also go onto a caprese I'll make after a grocery run for some good mozzarella.

16. G66enigma

Don't often do the "good" cheeses, at house G66.

Once did a stellar hard goat's milk cheese. Wow, a revelation. Salty, a bit sedate initially, but with an after-taste that got more-complex as time went on. Beautiful cheese. Unlike anything I'd had previously. Have only done it a couple of times ... as I recall it was about $40/lb or so (given the fraction-of-a-pound slice I had). Absolutely "made" the dish.

One of life's wonderful pleasures certainly is (are?): good cheeses, good wine, good olive oil and balsamic. Yum.

boatme98 likes this.
  17. G66enigma

Speaking of amazing flavors, I'm definitely a fan of a good balsamic. Of course, the "good" stuff is very expensive and can be hard to get.

The other day, I had a couple of tastes of the good balsamic vinegar from Italy.

Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale Di Modena extra vecchio. Don't recall whether it was a typical 25yr variety (extra vecchio) or something much more special; I didn't look at the label but a moment.

Looked something like this, but I can't say with any certainty that this was the one: Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale Di Modena Riserva Oro, 100yr aged.

Wow. Haven't done grocery-store balsamics for a long while. But even the typical "good stuff" I do from a nearby shop can't hold a candle to this balsamic I tasted the other day. Again, like a stellar cheese, it "made" the dish. Just a few drops, and each drop was precious in terms of an explosion of flavors.

Ah, Italy! Great oils, balsamics, wine, cheese, Ferraris and Alfas, to name a few ... of course they've got to deal with their government's schizophrenia, and that backwards hand-wave thing they do ... :p

[​IMG]

boatme98 likes this.
  18. boatme98

It's hard to find good cheese here, too. In Florida we had a cheese monger in town every Sunday at city green market. Fantastic stuff!
    In Rhode Island most grocery stores carried a good selection of fine cheeses.

19. Adam 2

Adam 2 Well-Known Member

20. winds-of-change

Tonight we had a Caesar salad and leftover pork shoulder roast in baked beans.

boatme98 likes this.