Dillon RL550C Reloader

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by SGWGunsmith, Aug 8, 2018.

1. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

Every now and then I get the "bug" and think about a faster reloader than the single stage Redding BOSS that I now have. I'd like to read from any of you folks who have one of these presses, or some other brand that loads a bunch of rounds in a relatively short amount of time.
    My one concern is primer pockets on fired cases. Do they need to be cleaned of burned primer mix before reloading?

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I have loaded many hundreds of thousands of rounds on Dillons.

I've never cleaned a primer pocket.

If you do a lot of shooting, a Dillon is the way to go. I used a 650 with automatic case feeder. Pistol ammo, .38,9mm,40,45 I could easily load 600-700 rounds per hour. .223 and .308, perhaps 500-550 per hour.

Nt 6mm Remington shot 3/8 inch groups. All loaded on the Dillon.
    One caveat, though, I resize decap, and tumble bottleneck rifle cases separately on a Lyman Orange Crusher before loading on the Dillon.

The 550 is a bit slower, but still able to crank out ammo almost as fast as you can shoot it.

RKB and schnuffleupagus like this.

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

I reload on a 550 at a friend's house. He is setup for pistol calibers, we just ultrasonic clean the brass, deprime and load. No problems so far.

550B is a great reloader, pretty easy to learn, and you can crank out several hundred rounds in an evening without too much trouble.

4. joed49

joed49 Member

I started out with a Dillon 550B in 2003. I moved from a single stage because I was shooting 300 rounds a week. What took me 2 nights a week was now done in about an hour.

The 550C is a good press and doesn't take long to master. I had mine running in 2 nights.

I asked Dillon about primer pockets as soon as I started loading. They told me don't clean them. For the past 15 years I have not cleaned a primer pocket and I can report I see no difference in anything I load.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Rifling82, Fred_G and locutus like this.
  5. joerg1

joerg1 New Member

I recently purchased a Lee Pro 1000 progressive 3 stage. Reloading 9mm like crazy. I run a batch of spent cases in the tumbler, making sure to sort out unwanted brass first. Stay away from military crimped primers save for later when you have more experience. Then I de-prime and size them, throw them back in the tumbler. By this time the primer pockets are pretty clean.
    Now I put them back in the press to install primer, powder charge, and crimp the bullet. Last step is I check them with a bullet sizer and box em up.

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Whew! Sounds like a lot of work.

I wash in the rotary tumbler, then throw in the case feeder and load.

7. RKB

RKB Well-Known Member

I have an original 450, without the (fantastic) removable toolhead/die plate. Still a well-engineered machine that can reload faster than I can shoot 'em up! Thirty-plus years later, still under warranty, too.
    Rest in Peace, Mike Dillon. You made good stuff.

8. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

Yes RIP Mike Dillon. He designed and manufactured some really good reloading equipment (along with some MINI-Guns). I was just up at the retail store in Scottsdale AZ, and spent some more money (Decided I'm shooting way to many .380 and @ almost $.40 a round, even if I have to buy new brass, I can do it for about $.23 per round) on my XL650. Soon there will be .380 reloads in the thousands.

9. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

Go with the 650 and don't look back.

Brian Enos is no longer in business as a reseller, he had a great "as it should be kit". Strong mount, case feeder, and some other small stuff.

I set it up and absolutely love it. I have come back several months later and everything is just as I left it. Next round is just like the last round.