Dillon RL550-- is it complete?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by t-maxxracer32, Mar 10, 2014.

1. t-maxxracer32

t-maxxracer32 New Member

Hi there,

I got this RL550 in an auction lot and dont know much about it...
    Comparing it to others on ebay it seems I have the full setup with a few extra bolts (things on top screwed into the spot with 4 holes)
    The lot also came with some accessories that I dont know much about...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lever pulls down fine.

http://s86.photobucket.com/user/t-maxxracer32/library/Dillon RL550?sort=3&page=1

If you all wouldnt mind, just giving me some information on what I have here?

Thank you very much.
    Ryan

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

It looks complete. You should contact dillon about a rebuild. They redo em send em back like new. You won't be able to tell the diff tween it and a new one.

How much was it??

3. t-maxxracer32

t-maxxracer32 New Member

To be honest I will be selling it seeing as I bought the lot for other reasons so would a rebuild help the value?

If ebays prices are correct (350-600) then I bought for a bit less.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

Was it why you bought it?? For resale?? Depends on what the refit costs compaired to what you paid. Folks that buy beat on dillon machines look for cheap ones to send off to be rebuilt as it comes out a bit cheaper than buying new. So it depends on how much you paid vs how much dillon will charge whether there will be room for profit.

If your handy you could rebuild it and clean it yourself replace parts that are pitted etc then sell it or keep it as the 550 is nice machine for any loader.

5. t-maxxracer32

t-maxxracer32 New Member

It was a locker style auction so this was tucked behind and I was not able to see it.

What are some things I can look for to see if it even needs a rebuild? I will call dillon tomorrow to see what the cost for a rebuild is.

Most likely I will let it go for a bit cheaper in order to sell it earlier rather than repairing it and selling it for more. Money now as opposed to in a month or so after the repair is more valuable to me.

Thank you for your quick replies!

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

Let dillon know you have pics and such. They are top notch on cs. You might find buyers here on ftf if you list it in the classifieds subforum.

7. t-maxxracer32

t-maxxracer32 New Member

Good to know about Dillon,
    After contact with Dillon I will decide if its smarter to post now or wait for repair.

Thank you Jon for your help.

8. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Those "bolts" that screw into the thing with 4 holes on top are the dies. Look for the markings that will tell you what calibers and functions they are for. IE: seating, crimping, resizing as well as the manufacturer. The dies are generally in sets. If you got it in a locker auction look for the boxes that the dies came in and you may have a set or two. I would probably throw those in with the press if you are going to sell it.

If you want to sell it as-is as a lot PM me with a price. I might be interested. It looks like I will be losing my reloading stuff in the divorce.

9. therukh

therukh New Member

Dillon RL 550

If you don't want it for your own use, I'd sell it and any accessories as is and not bother Dillon for the rebuild. The new owner will be able to contact Dillon and get what they need with no questions asked. Yes, Dillon is unsurpassed in customer service. The press you have pictured looks complete. The open hole at the top is for the crimping die but it looks like the dies are possibly a 2-die set with the third one acting as both the bullet seater and crimper. I don't think you'd get that much more out of it if you contact Dillon and do the rebuild, since they would send it free and the new owner would be able to get it free also. If you send it back to Dillon you would have to pay for the shipping there.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  10. string1946

string1946 New Member

I just sent my 550B back to get it cleaned up and updated. They did all that and updated all the linkage and replaced a set of dies for $67.95 including return shipping. It cost me $33 to ship it back so a Franklin to set it right.

11. therukh

therukh New Member

Dillon's Price

I just had all my parts updated on a Square Deal, but did not send it back and it was free. When I needed some updates for my 550, they sent the parts for free. Replacing the dies alone is worth more than what you paid so it was still a good deal. All I've ever had to do was call and whatever I needed was sent free. Can't beat their service!

12. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

That has been my experience too.