Dillon 650

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by ktmboyz, Apr 29, 2012.

1. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I was all ready to process my order on the XL 650 and when I created my profile on the Dillon site I saw their forum and checked it out. I see quite a few people with problems on there. I realize most of the people on there are because they have problems and not to brag about how great theirs is, but it makes me apprehensive now.

How many of you here have a Dillon and would recommend them for cranking out mass amounts of pistol rounds ???

2. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I don't have the 650 but have two other dillons a 550 and a squared deal couldn't be happier with the presses and dillons customer service.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

highly recomend it!!

dillon customer service is second to none. ive got xl650 and read their site from time to time. most of the issues with the xl650 people have is directly related incorrect setup. this is especially true of the priming system.

ive taken mine apart so no two pieces are touching gave it a thorough cleaning. after doing that i got a deeper understanding of exactly how it works. im more confident in it now than ever.

4. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Great,, thanks soo much thats good to know.. Do you have and would you recommend all the add ons like the strong mount, tray , roller handle ect ect.. I am placing an order now but its adding up very quick lol

5. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

uhh uhhh ouch :eek: I have sticker shock now:eek: Over $1100 bucks cant wait to get it though

6. fishdude

fishdude New Member

I have had my 650 for 2 years and I have cranked out tens of thousands of rounds with mine. I love it, can't say enough good things about it. Most recently I started loading 5.56 rifle rounds.

Dillon service is top notch and I am very very happy I picked Dillon!

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

IMHO, the Dillon 650 is the best progressive reloader available today. I bought one 20 years ago, and have loaded literally tens of thousands of rounds on it.

I gave mine to my son a couple of years ago because I no longer am able to shoot as much I did my younger days.

But I will admit that it requires you to pay attention to what you''re doing.

You can't daydream or play grabass with the GF while you're loading on a 650.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

you dont need the tray altho its much faster with the tray since your movement to the table top is shorter but not needed.

roller handle highly recomend

strong mount is nice since you dont have to mod your bench to use it. it provides the clearence without cutting major chunks out of the top of the bench.

ive got all the options on mine and its very very nice with them. im glad i saved a bit more and got it all decked out

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

If you're handy with PVC pipe, you can do what I did, and run 3 inch pipe from the cartridge ejection stage to a 5 gallon bucket on the floor. No more emptying that cartridge bin every few minutes. The automatic primer tube filler is great also.

10. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Thanks for all the input guys, I cant wait to get it and fire it up. I have like 4k rounds of .40 to roll up.

11. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

I would like to get back to your first question about all of the issues on the Dillon fourm. 99% of the issues listed there a due to Rookie mistakes or lack of understanding the press is doing. You haven't said what kind of experience you have, but if you have been reloading for a while on any other kind of press, you probably won't have any problems with your new XL650. If you are a Rookie, please go really slow and understand what the press is doing.

I started 30 years ago on a 550 and graduated 7 years ago to the 650, It was culture shock for me, auto indexing is scary.

I only have one other recommendation. Keep this press clean ie: the primer system (if you reloaded 1,000 rounds and want to do more, stop and disassemble it completely). If it gets dirty, it will jam and ruin your day. Same is true for the primer punch. When this gets dirty, it again can and will ruin your day. Beyond these two thing, normal maintenance is all that is required.

Good Luck

12. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Thanks anm2-man,, I have some experience but I am no pro. I have a single stage and a lee pro 1000 in 9mm. I have that down pretty good and dont have any problems with the sequence of things and understanding whats going on. I am a technician by trade so have a little bit of mechanical ability.

I was just concerned with some of the issues of powder splash and a few other little things. I have watched a few of the youtube vids and they look like a great set up.

13. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

Powder splash can be an issue. When the shell plate rotates and stops its kind of abrupt. There are several ways to fix these issues. #1 - Cut a coil off of the spring that below the detent ball (that's what stops and centers the shell plate). This works in most cases. #2 invest in thrust bearing (which really stops the abrupt stop - more on this later). #3 - the XL650 need's to be mounted to a very secure bench. The more secure the better, and last but not least - smooth operation of the press. No slamming down or up. "Smooth down and smooth up". If your setting a primer and it feels like its got to much force to get it to seat. "STOP". Find out why it doesn't want to go into the pocket.

I'll go look for the links on the thrust bearing and I will post them later. I use it on 9mm and .40 cal. Both seem to want to shake powder out.

:D

14. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  15. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Well I got the press and have it all set up. WOW these things are effin sweet. I had a few hick-ups in the begining with some .40 cases that had crimped primer pockets I missed but other than that only problem I am really having is my stash of bullets, powder nad primers is going to rapidly deplete :eek:

I am going slow and doing about 500 rds an hour so far. Thank you all for the great feedback.

Dillon rocks :cool:

16. Staestc

Staestc New Member

Congrats on your new machine! Jealousy here ;) But I'll slug it out a while with my single stage for a while. I'm so new at this that every reloading session is still an adventure! :D