Firearms Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not physically well, so I haven't gotten around to business til lately. I ordered a powder measure and strong mount for the Dillon 650 intended for the 5.56, using the RCBS dies I already have. What else do I need for the powder measure and any other really desired pieces?
Pieces to activate the powder measure automatically?

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
There used to be a reseller of Dillon equipment, he had a package called "as it should be"

Upgraded handle, case feeder.

I've put in upgraded lighting systems and upgraded roller plate system.

·
Premium Member
22,653 Posts
If you ordered a Dillon powder measure, you're good to go as is.

A case feeder is mandatory IMHO.

·
Supporting Member
11,970 Posts
Tin

It's also a good thing to have a *Manual Crank Case Trimmer if you are going to shoot the Brass more than once. And an a good inexpensive *Caliper Gauge. This to maintain the correct Overall Length of the Cases.
I ran into this with my 6.5 Grendel Cases. The Cases stretched and I reloaded them. What I did not realize until if fired them they were causing excess pressure. I could even tell something was not right by feel. The Case Mouth was actually crimping down on the Bullet when it went into the Chamber because the Cases were too long. So the pressure was spiking!:(
Unloaded all of them trimmed them and Good To Go!

Reactions: tinbucket

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a Lyman or at least it is orange. Universal collet and pieces for many calibers. Dillon did make a power trimmer for one of the presses, just hold the case at the top while it whittled it away, and it had a vacuum attachment for chips. I like the idea but not that motor screaming away or a loud vacuum. Maybe the motor was quiet, I don't know. The Lyman and others really interrupts the flow and speed of reloading. I have been decapping Mil brass 5.56 with a hand tool and ironing out the primer pockets with an RCBS tool. I am getting old I guess but decapping that brass is not easy and some I can't do. SIL did quite a few and he didn't much care for it. Hurt his large and strong hands after a bit too. Should have bought the big Dillon, when it was a thousand and less now nearly two thousand.

·
Premium Member
22,653 Posts
Dillon Swager is worth it's weight in gold.
dillon swage.jpeg

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
The Lyman is an excellent trimmer. I use the Lyman and a Wilson. Of late I have been using the little Lee Precision hand trimmers. It is easy to use the Lee at each resizing. With the Lee it's possible to maintain case length without caliper.

·
Registered
293 Posts
For all the suggestions, you should have just gotten a 1050.
I would say: buy the Dillon 650 DVD and learn.
You don't NEED much, but there may be things you would like or prefer. Manually feeding cases is just fine, but the Dillon does do case feeding quite well. You need the caliber conversion kit, unless you bought it already set up for your cartridge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts