Dillon 650 Primer seating issue

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by partdeux, Jan 1, 2019.

1. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

Suddenly developing an issue getting primer to fully seat. Shell plate is about as tightened as tight as it can get and still freely rotate. Best I can tell, it's not happening in a specific position. Even pulled apart one round, popped out the primer, and cleaned the pocket out with the primer reamer... nothing. That particular case, I pushed against the primer three times before it fully seated.

I started running into the issue with Sellier and Bellot, primers, went back to CCI, still seeing the issue. I'm not seeing anything in the instruction manual for an adjustment.

2. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Well-Known Member

Are the primer pockets clean?

3. partdeux

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

You should be able to seat primers easily without cleaning the pockets.

Something is out of adjustment. Call Dillon technical assistance. Betcha they'll have it fixed in 5 minutes!:)

Dallas53 likes this.
  5. PaPow

PaPow Active Member

Best cure for that problem is, a Hornady LOCK-N-LOAD

6. partdeux

I finally called Dillon, and they talked me through potential issues.

It appears that the last time I changed the shell plate, I had not put a washer under the aftermarket bearing I was using under the retention bolt, allowing the plate to move slightly. Luckily, I only had 2,500 rounds of 9mm made up since the last time I changed the shell plate. I pulled the tool head off and very carefully reseated 2,500 primers. I'm going to switch over again, and will pay much closer attention to primer seating to make sure it goes much smoother.

RKB and Biohazard2 like this.