Dillon .223/5.56 dies

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by ktmboyz, May 21, 2012.

1. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Does anyone have the Dillon dies for .223 and what one do you have. I am thinking about getting set up for that caliber and didnt know if it was really worth the carbide dies over their standard set.

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR New Member

If your going to load on a Dillon 650/550B you will need carbide dies . No way around it .

3. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

ok Thanks, I figured but wasnt sure.. not sure I want to shell out $150 bucks for another set of dies right now.. Maybe Ill get it set up for 9mm first.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

I use the carbide dies for 556 on my 650 but its not needed. Any 223/556 dies with the standard press threading work in the 650

You still gotta lube them whether they are carbide or not.

Only reason i got the carbide ones is i found em at a gunshow for less than new standard die prices.

The reason dillon offers carbide 223/556 is that a lot of outfits use them for mass producing ammo for gunclubs, retail sales, police training etc where many hundreds of thousands are being cranked out. Under that use carbide is cost effective

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR New Member

With carbide dies I can give my brass a very light shot of lube and load .
    With the carbide dies and no lube the brass does work alot harder but will load .

I can,t size at all with regular dies unless i lube the hell out of them

6. steve4102

steve4102 New Member

Dillon Carbide die are for the volume commercial reloader and are not "needed" for the average handloader. YES, you will still have to lube the carbide dies.

From Dillon.

For high volume users, such as commercial reloaders, law enforcement agencies, and high power or service rifle competitors, we also offer .223 and .308 die sets with a full-length carbide sizing die. Lubrication is still required, but the increased scratch resistance and die longevity of carbide are of great benefit to these groups of users.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/co...bide_Rifle_Dies__Individual___Three_Die_Sets_

Unless you are going into volume production go with a standard set of dies.

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I much prefer the Redding "Pro" dies on the 650.

IME, better dies than dillon at lower cost.

And you don't need carbide for rifle cases. Bottleneck cases must be lubed whether the dies are carbide or not.