Dillinger vs. Benning: This is Spartan!!!

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Benning Boy, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Are you guys getting this at the CS offices?

You're welcome, Lynn.

Glad you like it, Nitrox. I'll be sending you a cape and leather briefs, and I'll see you in New Sparta.

2. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

I feel I have to post this up about my recent experience with Cold Steel's customer service.
    I had the screw and thumbstud fly off of my Spartan on a jobsite awhile back. I didn't loc-tite it, and apparently didn't notice it had loosened up until it flew off while opening it at work and it got lost in the mud on the riverbank some 20ft below.
    I wasn't going to bother with their customer servive/warranty department after not getting replies back to e-mails sent about this thread, but finally decided to do so.
    I explained I didn't notice it loosen up, it was my fault blah, blah blah and ask if I could find/buy a replacement stud and screw. I got an e-mail the next morning requesting shipping info and received the replacement parts 4 days later- free of charge.
    While their PR may suck, I can give a hearty [​IMG] to CS customer service department!

I'm still carrying the Spartan as my EDC work and social blade, and I couldn't be happier (and I loc-tite'd the screw this time :D)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010

3. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I'm glad that worked out.

I'd been looking at/wanting a few more products, but their complete disregard in the matter of this thread kept me from going ahead with another purchase.

Maybe one more.....

4. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Gate, I'm glad CS took good care of you. Their customer service gets mixed reviews, I know of many cases in which they weren't helpful at all and others in which they were great.

While I think some of their products have a good price to performance ratio, I never factor in their customer service as a plus when considering one of their knives (like I would do with Buck, ESEE or Spyderco). It seems to be too hit and miss to be truly reliable.

5. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Understood. In the interest of being fair though, I thought I'd post my experience.
    Which was surprising giving the mixed reviews I'd heard as well

6. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Cool thread! Sorry I never followed it when it was fresh.

But, having known Lynn T for about 23 years, I can say he is not the most "gregarious" guy in the world. He is very "practical" in his movements and probably does not hang out much on the internet sites.

One of you guys should call the CS line and ask to speak with Lynn. Once you get him talking he is a font of cool information. That might get him on here to discuss his knives.

I have a friend who has a Spartan. I'll need to play with it a bit after reading this.

7. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

I forgot to mention it at the time, but I showed this to a friend who's in ROTC (And thus may carry a blade longer than 3" in his pocket), and he ordered a Spartan.

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

*BUMP*

Any Spartan fans out there that care to add to the tests? Or just a plain love of the Spartan Folder??

JD

9. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

I bought my Spartan because of this set of tests and have been more than happy with it. It has performed very well in the field. I keep it in my hunting pack and it has worked well for all tasks I have thrown at it. It is a great knife and an even better price.

10. pagj17

pagj17 Well-Known Member

Holy Shy** that's huge!

ANd I'll be getting one... soon:)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  11. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

You can't go wrong. Good product for a solid price. They are on sale from their special projects division for $59 right now.

12. Maverick

Maverick Member

Just got mine yesterday. Feels very good in the hand for as bulky as it looks.

13. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Reminiscing of days gone by :(

14. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Is this the knife Benning shot with a .22lr and split the bullet in 2?