Dillinger vs. Benning: This is Spartan!!!

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Benning Boy, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Some time back, I expressed an interest in Cold Steel's Spartan folder.

I was looking for the do-all, ultimate SHTF knife.

Production was delayed forever. Of course, since J.D. has the inside track on everything, he had one immediately after it was released. He taunted me, even used it as a lure to get me back here during one of my absences.

Thanks to the generosity of an anonymous benefactor, I now possess this knife.

The purpose of this thread is threefold:

1) I'm calling J.D. out. He is a man of action. I consider myself to be the same. As tempted as I am to put this blade in the safe, I have to know if my faith was justified. I propose a series of cutting challenges, to be recorded here. I welcome suggestions as to what you would like to see us do.

2) To see if the knife is worthy of the name. I fully intend to abuse it beyond warranty. I will cut anything, I will pry stuff open. I will envision a zombie apocalypse, and imagine what I might need the knife to do, and do it. If the knife survives, I want my brothers here to know that you can stake your life on it.

3) I want Cold Steel, and Lynn Thompson, to see this as a grassroots consumer test. If the knife is good, you guys get an unbiased and honest assessment from one of your own, and you should buy it. If it sucks, you will hear that, as well, and Cold Steel could gain valuable feedback. They should probably send us freebees to test, as well.:D

Two of us, cutting everything on two coasts with the same knife, should offer a fair challenge to a knife named for some of the greatest warriors ever to grace a battlefield.

That is, if J.D. is up to it.:rolleyes:

2. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

That is one "butt-ugly" knife. I hope it functions better than it looks...

3. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

1) The Spartan as a personal grooming appliance.

The following images are real. I have neither the understanding nor the capability to Photoshop anything, I just now figured out how to upload pictures from a digital camera.

4. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Benning before.

Pardon the disguise, but I don't need Tango putting my image in gay p0rn or milk cartons.

Attached Files:

5. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Post Spartan Benning.

Attached Files:

6. Jess

Jess New Member

you shaved your head with a KNIFE????

7. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

How it went down:

I actually wanted to save this as my nuclear option in my duel with J.D., but then I figured it might be better to do this before I got into serious blade abuse. And now, I perfectly resemble the character Kratos from God of War.

I didn't do my entire head with the knife. I did about three huge swipes. This was not the fault of the knife, but the unnerving sound of hundreds of hairs snapping off at the skin.

Yes, it is shaving sharp out of the box. There's proof.

I won't be doing that again. Visions of a trip to the E.R. and explaining why half my scalp is on the floor being picked over by my dog put a halt to a repeat of this demo.

8. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

HOOAHH!! Did that close shave not bring back any past fond memories of related persona hygiene field adaptation, my friend? ;)

Jack

9. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Well, classy lady of the forum, after all,

This...is....SPARTA!!!!!:mad::eek::eek::eek:

10. Jess

Jess New Member

you have a very nice head...color me impressed...now to get JD to shave...I'm thinking legs??

11. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Yes, but I refer to them as "flashbacks." :D

Jack will tell you, personal hygiene is crucial in the field. It helps you think better, and that helps you fight better.

Good times, my friend.:D

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Holy Hell?!?!

I take one night off from the forum and not only do I get called out in a knife to knife test, but my brother from another mother has gone off the deep end and shaved his scalp!! :eek:

Okay! I am in. I am not shaving my head, as my knife is no longer out of the box sharp due to use, and my head is NOWHERE near as perfectly round and smooth as Benning's.

But, I too shall abuse my knife in a series of super serious real world tests to see what this blade can and will do.

I am open for suggestions of things to cut, but I have a few items in the garage, just off the top of my head, that will put this blade to the test.

This is going to be great. After we get a few blade tests in, I will e-mail Lynn Thompson and see what kind of response we can get from Cold Steel directly.

I'm JD and I accept this challenge!

13. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Unfortunately, I'm old enough to have eaten C-rats. How about opening a few cans?

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I don't have a problem with that. I am going to do some cutting of stuff tonight first, then I will gladly whack open a few cans of ravioli or something like that.

This is going to be fun....

JD

15. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Mine shall be out of action for 24 hours, as it is going in a tub of water, and shall be placed in the freezer overnite.

I shall then thaw it, inspect for damage, and immediately test cut a suspended old belt.

For mine, that will be torture test two.:eek:

16. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Thank you.:eek: I'm considering eyeliner, facial piercings, and an army of conquered slaves to tote me around on a large throne.

For I am kind.:cool:

17. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

A true test of a knifes metal... send them to Spitfire for a week.
    He'll send you back a box of rust.:eek:

18. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Dude, you're starting to scare me.

19. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

And what does Mrs. Benning think of her newly smooth man?

20. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

She thinks her husband is an idiot for shaving his head with a Crocodile Dundee knife during the coldest days of the year thus far.

She, like many here, just doesn't understand that I do this for my brethren on the forum.

Allow me to reveal a scenario....