Digital scales

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by magnumman, Dec 6, 2012.

1. magnumman

magnumman New Member

I am looking for new scales since I went cheap when I first got into reloading. The digital scale that I have SUCKS. Does anyone know of an affordable, accurate digital scale? Or would it better to go with a balance?

2. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

If you have access to a "smoke shop" they have some pretty decent scales there and they are affordable as hell.

3. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Ok, the one I picked up was from a lgs an was like $30 (I think). It worked well for a while but now it just drains expensive batteries and needs calibrated way to often. I'll check those out. Thank you

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I prefer a balance by far. Along with a set of scale check weights to make sure it's calibrated properly.

Digital scales are quick and convenient. But scale check weights are an absolute necessity., IMHO

RCBS and Hornady both offer quality scales. Expect to pay ~$100 or a bit more for a quality digital.

5. magnumman

magnumman New Member

What balance do you recommend and how much do they go for?

6. locutus

I have a Lyman. RCBS is excallent as well.

The important thing to look for is that they are manufactured by the OHAUS SCALE COMPANY.

Ohaus manufactures scales for Lyman, Hornady and a dozen other re-sellers.

Prices run from about $75 to $250, depending on how fancy you want to get.

Lyman sells precision scale check weights for ~ $20.

7. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Cool, thanks. When you say fancy, what do the do that is so special or are we talking fancy cosmetically?

8. locutus

Some of them have three balance beams, and are a basically laboratory grade scale.

You don't need that. (nice if you have extra money:p) A basic balance is all you need.

And BTW, I don't mean to "bad-mouth" digitals. I have an RCBS digital and it's a fine scale. I just trust the balance beam more.

9. magnumman

magnumman New Member

O believe me, o would much rather have a balance but just wanted to make sure I am not wasting anymore money biting inferior products.

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Just do what Locutus said. I have bought the most expensive digital powder scales. I can not believe with all the new electronics they can not make a powder scale? I am back to my old Lyman Beam scale and a can of scale check weights that must have belonged to Wyatt Earp.:D

11. locutus

I think mine was handed down by Elihu Lyman!:D

12. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

I've got a Dillon eliminator and an d'terminator. Ive used the electric a bit. It is fast but a balance beam is old school and nats ass. I haven't used the electronic scale I paid a bunch for in 3 months. Hahaha. Love a balance beam

13. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

14. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

Oh forgot price. Dillon beam is 70 bucks. Electronic is 140

15. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Dustinof, I was looking at the Dillon Beam scale eliminator. Dillion does not say what it is made of. Is this platform plastic or cast metal base? I note it is made by Ohaus Scales which is good?:confused:

16. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

It's cast. Little plastic leveling base. I've studied an rcbs and its identical to what I can tell. Just different paint? Lol. I'm just loyal to my dillon stuff. Figure if something happens ill complain that I've got a lot of money in stuff with there name on it! Lol

17. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

It's a solid scale. Picked mine up off of eBay for 45 bucks. Smokin deal. Took me awhile to find it. Most things on there are pretty much cost. After having it I would pay 70 if I was to get another one.

18. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I agree Dillion is a great outfit. I have an old Dillion 450 I bought around 1980. Dillion has up dated a number of times. :cool:

19. dustinoif3

dustinoif3 New Member

That's super man. Thousands upon thousands of rounds and still runs great

20. locutus

I bought my 450 about the same time. Used it for several years then upgraded to a 650. Used that for close to 20 years.

I finally got too old to shoot that much, so I gave the 650 to my son and went back to the 450.

Dillon is unbelievable!!! I wish everyone conducted business the way Dillon does.:):)