Digital Camera Help

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Benning Boy, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

So I left my job with Mr. Slate at the rock quarry, got home, and kissed my wife Wilma and my daughter Pebbles. Wilma wants one of those fancy digital camera thingies.

Okay seriously, I know nothing about these, it's for the wife. The criteria are simple:

Available power source- Can I get one that runs off AA-AAA batteries? I hate trying to track down batteries for the damn Surefire, let alone some crazy lithium wafers.

Nigh indestructible- She's a beauty, she's smart, she's talented, she's clumsy.

How cheap can I get away?- I don't want to drop a bundle on the off chance it joins my Perfect Pushup devices in the bottom of the closet.

Any input is appreciated.

2. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

Yes you can find rechargeable ones and ones that table batteries.

I'd say 200-250 to be safe. My mom has one and it takes nice pictures. In the morning I can get the make/model/price of it. We plenty of different pictures with it. Sunsets, garden, deer in the field behind the house etc. Its worth it and I know it was fairly cheap.

S.S.

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

4. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

What is the minimum number of mega pixels for a decent picture?

5. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

Lets it put it this way. My 2 pixel camera takes pretty good pictures. I'll show you one or 2. The picture is after it was resized, too.
    I'd say 10 would be pretty good.

S.S.

Attached Files:

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

7. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Believe it or not, Kodak makes a decent one for about $100 bucks at Wally World..Many different settings. Takes video also..Have taken MANY photos learning the settings though.
    It took this picture..

Attached Files:

8. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Oh, and it is rechargeable.

9. Yunus

Yunus New Member

10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

My wife and both use Canon's. They take AA batteries and use regular SD cards. Hers is a 5MP and mine is a 7MP - both take nice pix and both were about $100 on Amazon (a while ago)...

11. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Look at the Canon A1000

10 Mega pixel
    AA batteries
    SD card (get at least a 4 gig for it)

12. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

I don't know about indestructable but I've had a Canon PowerShot SD900 for several years. It's the 10 megapixel model and takes remarkably clear photos, especially if you set the ISO to high. Works well in low light conditions. It uses an SD card (I bought a 2 GB Ultima card because I didn't think the 32 MB card it came with woulld be enough for vacation fotos and mpgs...I was right on that). It also comes with the Canon Battery pack, a rechargeable lithium-ion battery, and the charger for it. I also bought a spare battery which has come in handy. I prefer the rechargeable battery over AA or AAA batteries. When I bought it, it was going for $250. I don't know what it costs now.

It's a far cry from the Sony FD83 Digital Mavica I had for several years before that. Full-sized camera body and used floppy disks as "film." That has been stuck in a bag in my closet because my new computer doesn't have a 3.5" floppy drive.

13. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

Along the virtually indestructible line......at Home Depot this weekend and saw a Ryobi Tek4 camera. It's 8 Megapixel, completely rubber armored, impact/dust resistant, water proof and rechargeable. Goes for $200. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Ryobi TEK4 :: Durashotâ„¢ 8MP Digital Camera

14. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Since I know very little about them same as you, I have an informal routine to buying a ditigal camera. Just go to wal-mart & buy the best (most expensive) 1 they have. That's the method I used & it worked out great, only running about 250$.

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

This week's special:

Recertified: Polaroid i1035 Black 10.0 MP 3.0" LCD 3X Optical Zoom Digital Camera

$45.99

Newegg.com

16. zhuk

zhuk New Member

I've been taking photos since I was a kid (back when you had to wrestle with film, literally lol), and was lucky to buy a Pentax Optio 555 from a friend who was upgrading. It's only 5 megapixels, but perfectly adequate for ordinary photo taking. I find it hard to believe that anyone really NEEDS the 12+meg cameras that are coming out now. You'll only have to resize it anyway or lose great chunks of your HDD space.

I would advise trying to get a camera with a rechargeable battery if you can...seriously. Mine lasts for a good while in between re-chargings (unless I'm using its video-mode) and it was a total liberation from the hell that was constantly recharging batteries.

[​IMG]

Do any shops in the US do good deals on reconditioned second-hand models? If so, you could pick up something decent and not have to have massive megapixellage of the new cameras?

Just my .2c ;)

17. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Thanks guys. So 5 megapixels is adequate?

18. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Absolutely Benning, at least imo anyway. I can't see how you'd really need more than that if you're talking just snapshot type thing...but judge for yourself...

here's an un-resized pic I took with mine for reference; set at 1024x768 size, 390KB:

[​IMG]