Difficult to insert magazine

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Shintsu, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Shintsu

Shintsu New Member

In the process of handling my new Ruger SR1911 Commander, I've noticed the magazines aren't the easiest to put in. These are the factory metal Ruger mags, so I doubt they're of poor quality. When I go to put them in, they meet resistance with just around 2 inches of the mag sticking out. When I push it goes in a bit more, then there's maybe a 1/4" gap. If I push up on it good, then it clicks and goes in.

So is this normal for a new gun with new mags, or does it sound like something may be out of adjustment? My only concern is that I might pop a mag in thinking it's ready to go and it's in that final state with the 1/4" gap. If I push slightly on the mag release when putting it in, it doesn't hit that first resistance point as well. Just a little unsure if this is a break-in issue or an actual one. I remember the 1/4" gap problem on an ATI 1911 that I shot as well. I've tried this with loaded and unloaded magazines and there's no difference in behavior, other than the weight of the loaded magazine makes it a tad harder to push at that 1/4" gap.

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Sounds fairly normal for a 1911 mag. The mag will touch the magazine catch as it is inserted, which will increase friction on the mag a bit. Inserting with the slide closed will also mean the the top round or the magazine follower may come in contact with the lug on the bottom of the slide just before the mag is fully inserted. That lug runs under teh firing pin channel and is responsible for stripping the next round out of the mag. You may notice the problem goes away with the slide locked open, if that is what you are feeling.

If the friction is too great once the mag has come in contact with the mag release, the mag release may need to be fitted just a bit better. The trick is to not remove too much metal, so that the mag isn't retained properly. But I would try a different mag before doing any alterations to the gun itself.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Lightly lubing the mag release to ease it moving in and out can help a little.

4. Shintsu

Shintsu New Member

Thanks guys, I was under the impression this was probably normal to an extent. I'll be going to the range later today so I'll see if I still have issues when inserting them with an open slide. As far as lube, is there a general purpose kind I can buy that can be used on the gun? Not sure what to use for this purpose, for my Mosin Nagant I never noticed any issues and never lubed it (Yes, I know I probably should have). I have a cleaning kit I bought for my Nagant and I'm sure there is a small container of oil, this would likely do the job right?

5. nitestalker

nitestalker Active Member

The 1911 Magazine empty should fall free from the Mag. well. When you hold the 1911 and press the release the Mag. should drop from the well with out assistance. :)

6. Shintsu

Shintsu New Member

It drops out just fine, it's just going in that it meets a bit of resistance at those two points. I'll give it some time before I adjust anything though.

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I would just wipe the magazine down with CLP. If the magazine is still hard to insert I would send the gun back to Ruger. I had the same issue with my marlin rifle. CLP cured the issue after shooting a few magazines.

8. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

I think you are experiencing the magazine catch/release riding on the magazine.

Here is a little test just for fun. It will be (possibly) AMAZING.

FIRST: do all the safe stuff, do it right, do it safe

Accustom yourself to the resistance you have described.

NEXT: lock the slide open, and try it again. (SAFELY.... remember)
    Your mag most likely will slide in, offer resistance at the same points as the mag rides the catch, but then seat easier. If this is the case, you have now felt that your fully loaded mag is providing considerable resistance due to 1) the mag catch/release and 2) the magazine spring.

(Still being safe?).

NOW.. With an unloaded mag, on a locked open slide, try this again, but watch your mag release (button), you will see that it retracts into the frame a short distance AS YOU FEEL the resistance.

If you want to feel the resistance offered by the trigger bow , carefully remove the mag release (again may I offer safety as a pre-requisite, because we now have our mind on things other than bullets in the chamber) and try your mag into the frame.. Any resistance you feel now is provided by the frame and trigger bow.

If things feel good, then you can feel good.

Try to find your parts, reassemble function check and continue to be safe.

While this does nothing to change things, it helps to understand what you are feeling.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  9. Shintsu

Shintsu New Member

Ok so I didn't actually remove the mag release as that's somewhat involved, but I tried it with empty and full mags. The empty mags really give it trouble. They're very stiff, and once they go in they won't free fall if I release. I have to pull it out. The loaded mag goes in easily and drops easily. I don't recall having any issues today at the range with the empty mags not coming out, but as I'm sitting here putting it in and taking it out I am noticing this. Also the loaded mag wobbles the smallest amount, and the empty mag does not. Again, no idea why this is - maybe inconsistency of the mags? The loaded mag goes right in and only meets a little resistance with about an inch and a half of the mag sticking out (Correction on my previous inaccurate number - this is the far out position). The second position when it's almost clicked and locked in is about an 1/8" sticking out. The empty mag is doing this but the loaded one is going right in.

I had no issues with them not working properly today, other than 3 FTF's I had where the bullet looked like it was lined up to go in but would not go even if I racked the slide back. I had to remove the mag and pull the slide back to drop the bullet through the grip as it was stuck in there. That might be an issue with my gun being new instead of the mags, but I'm a novice here so any information to correct me is well appreciated.

EDIT: And I just checked the empty mag that was giving me trouble, it works fine when it's full. Same as the other. I'm not sure how much I might be completely overblowing this, I just don't recall any issues with the magazines on most of the other semi-auto pistols I've tried. I'm inexperienced here, so my biggest concern was if there was something wrong with the mag release or if it's just like this because it's new and that after its broken in this will cease to be an issue without an intervention on my part.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  10. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

Time to invest in a couple of good quality magazines to continue your troubleshooting project.

I DO NOT LIKE THE 3 FTF problems . ..

While resistance is an inconvenience, the problems are not.

I run Kimber Tac mags in my Kimber without problems.

But if I did, I would get some Wilson or other big name brand and try it. I'm not up to speed on the latest thoughts on mags, but I would change that variable. Too lazy to search right now.

I have always felt that my 1911 requires a firm seating of the magazine, but the mags (empty or full) still drop free when released by the magazine catch.

I know that the firm seating force is required to overcome all the springs in play.

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Is there a possibility of the trigger bow getting in the way?
    Do the magazines have a mark on the side from front to back?
    Sometimes it is the magazine itself. Have you tried a "name" brand (like, ok, Kimber)?

12. Shintsu

Shintsu New Member

Haven't tried any other mags, these are the factory Ruger metal mags so I'm a bit surprised that they would be the problem since it's what they shipped with the gun. I'd still like to try more break in before I go and buy new mags assuming these have problems, or at the least contact Ruger before considering that since they wouldn't be a hassle to ship if needed.

13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I bought a bunch of magazines one time at a cheap price.
    Ended up giving them away. They were hard to insert and eject (and not in just one gun).

I don't remember the brand, but that was an expensive mistake.

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

magazines are usually one item that the gun makes don't make for their pistols and subcontract them out or have a supplier that they buy them from. i have had many 1911's over the years and it seems with many, the magazines are one area they tend to go cheap in.

personally, i would invest in some higher quality mags and use the factory mags for practice or range use only. i have had very good luck with the Wilson Combat and Chip McCormack mags so far. Tripp Research is one i have heard nothing but good things about too.

magazines need to be kept clean just like any other part of your pistol as well. they will get dirt and debris in them and cause feed problems. clean and very lightly oil them for proper operation and feeding of the ammo. remember, the magazine is one thing that can cause more problems in a semi-auto pistol than anything else.

15. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

If that were my gun, I'd take it back to where I got it, and ask them to look into it. Service after the sale, you know. OP, sounds to me from all your posts, that it's not normal. I have a Beretta 96 that has not issues, in or out, loaded or unloaded. Same for almost every other gun I've ever touched. Mine, yeah, it has resistance, but it's more like a "click" on the way in, not really a hang-up.