Different 12 gauge loads using everyday objects.

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Hey-you-guys, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Hey-you-guys

Hey-you-guys New Member

I just got a new 12 gauge reloader but the only shot that I could find at the time was birdshot. I was thinking about BBs, large ball bearings, rock salt, thumb tacks, Skittles, stuff like that. Any suggestions?

2. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Yeah, I have a suggestion. Read a reloading manual. And don't load anything but lead shot unless you get the special ingredients to load anything else, or you will doubtless produce a mess of some ilk.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Anything but purpose made shot can cause bad things to happen. BB's are generally copper plated steel. Ball bearings, steel. Steel does not deform like lead shot and WILL cause wild pressure spikes inside the barrel. Steel shot loads require wads that compensate for the uncompressing natuire of the shot, powder types and weights that do not cause those spikes to damage the gun (Face) and special loading considerations that you probably do not want to mess with.

Tacks can/will scratch even a steel shot rated barrel. Don't do it.

Rock salt requires a very light load to prevent the salt from turning to dust and losing any range. You do not want salt residue in your barrel, it will cause rapid rust.

Skittles? They will compress/deform excessively in any but the lightest loads. Their lack of density will cause them to lose energy very rapidly.

In my younger days I loaded many "unconventional" payloads into shot gun shells. Most were a complete waste of time and probably caused irreparable damage to my Rem 870 (sold it years ago). About the only worthwhile load we came up with was 1 7/8 oz of 7 1/2 shot was devastating on large flocks of birds sitting on the ground (I know illegal and stupid but that was 30 years ago and I have grown out of it)

4. mossberg kid

mossberg kid New Member

Sounds like a winner in my book lol.:D

5. Minionsram

Minionsram New Member

Listen to these fellers Hey. Go buy a reloading manual and read it. If the items to use are not in that book do not use them.

6. Hey-you-guys

Hey-you-guys New Member

Alright thanks guys. I haven't read the manual yet but will do.

7. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Stupid and dangerous. My 2 cents.

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Welcome here.

These guys know what they're talking about. My suggestion is to listen to them. You don't want to be nominated for a Darwin Award. ;)

9. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Skittles...Good one!

10. Supercharged86

Supercharged86 New Member

Well, at least with the Skittles you'll have something to eat if you get lost in the woods.:D

11. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

You could make a sandwich and use the the shells like cookie cutters to get a sandwich load. When the game warden asks you why your hunting geese out of season, simply explain that your feeding them.

Skittles and Hershey kisses might work... against a fat person. Wooden spike for vampires. Don't forget silver shot for the lycans. Dimes for the hobos. Weed laced with strychnine for the hippies. Plain old 00Buck for the liberals.

Or you could stick with the manual idea. :rolleyes:

12. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Agreed. Do not take the cheap route when reloading.

13. james_black

james_black New Member

Just out of curiosity...why not cooper plated bb's? By first apperance they seem to be an item that might wanna use for loading shells. Just curious.:D

14. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Copper plated lead BB's are very good goose loads, but if you use regular copper plated steel BBs, like are intended for use in BB guns, you better have steel rated components and a steel rated gun barrel or you could be looking at heavy damage. Those things are even harder than the sintered iron "steel" BB shot.

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, back in the day, I used to do custom loads for my muzzle loading EIGHT gauge shotgun. Right barrel was loaded with a quarter pound of buckshot. The LEFT barrel was loaded with powder, string, waxed paper, rock salt, and broken razor blades.

The right barrel would drop the moose in his tracks. The left barrel would dress it out, salt it down, wrap the meat, and tie it up in a neat package.

Now, if you actually believed any of that, I have some oceanfront property for sale in Colorado............;)

To answer your question- most air rifle shot (like Daisy BBs) are copper plated STEEL. They are very hard, and without the right shot cup, etc, will score (scratch) the bore of your shotgun. Other items may cause a bore obstruction, which can lead to visits to the hospital ER at unplanned times.

Shotguns can be very forgiving- but there is a LOT of energy released when you pull the trigger. Most shotguns, that energy is about 4 inches from your face. Think about that while reading the loading manual.

16. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

I say try it out all sorts of crap, the world needs more darwin awards.