Differences berween a civilian 500 and a military 500?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by indyfan, Jan 5, 2012.

1. indyfan

indyfan New Member

Ill be picking up a new 500 persuader in matte finish tomorrow and I want to know what is the difference between it and the military model.

If there are any?

My Veteran friend said they mostly used Mossbergs over there to breach doors and shoot locks. Also vouched on how reliable they were.

The 500 I ordered

[​IMG]

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

The 500's I saw in the service had an 8 round tube, shorter barrel, and synthetic stock. Beyond that, they were identical to the civilian version.

3. downsouth

downsouth New Member

I bought a 590a1 as close to military specs as I could. 8 plus 1, heavier barrel and also got it in marine coat.
    Your going to like your mossberg. Just be patient, The action won't be as smooth as glass out of the box but it gets better with time.

4. indyfan

indyfan New Member

Thanks for the quick reply guys, I look forward to this gun. :D

5. fins59

fins59 New Member

My mossy 500 jammed shells fairly regular when I first got it. Then I popped of the barrel polished the feed ramp ( I guess it's still that on a shotgun ) no more jams. Smooth as silk.
    I'm just assuming that's what you meant by the action smoothing out.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

I never did a thing to my 500 except clean it when I finally figured out how to break it down. After having it for 5 years before bothering to figure it out, it was surprisingly clean.

7. indyfan

indyfan New Member

Do shotguns have a break in period? Wonder how many shells it would require...

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Personally, I consider a pump to be awkward in nature, so I've never considered its smoothness.

9. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  10. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

Same as any gun, couple hundred rounds to get her worn in.

11. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

They are one of the easiest guns to break down and clean. Once I found out it was so easy I clean mine after every time I take her out, or at least every other time. I shoot her about 2-3 times a month.

12. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

590 vs 500

The 590 was built to Navy specs and it does have a thicker barrel. ( I suspect this is because Navy personnel are notoriously hard headed ) LOL Sorry, it's an old Army vs Navy tradition...

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

I got mine when I was 10 so I didn't know much about gun ownership, and yeah, once I figured it out, I came to the same conclusion, so easy its worth it to take it down just for fun!

14. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

I dont do Mossbergs, but I have studied some US military shotguns. From all my research, the saftey and trigger guard are plastic on civilian 500's and the military 500's have alluminum safeties and triggerguards. Again I am not an expert but I do know these difference were standard on early Mossbergs.

15. TekST165

TekST165 New Member

Mil spec 3443 calls out several specifications...thicker barrel, metal trigger guard, 5 shell min capacity,easy breakdown(type1 riot shotguns) and a host of other specifications. The 590A1 is actually the mil spec shotgun. However most of the parts between a 590A1 and a civilian spec 500/590 are interchangable.
    Either way i think you made a good choice.

16. indyfan

indyfan New Member

I'm into combat tupperware, so the plastic trigger guard and safety is no big deal.

Overall the M500 I bought is running great, no malfunctions so far, smooth action, light recoil

The 18.5 barrel makes it extremely easy to access from the backseat of my SUV and it's much lighter than my first 500 "Security" I purchased when I was 18.