Difference between ...

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Tenderribbs, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Tenderribbs

Tenderribbs New Member

Manufacturing AR 15 and assembling AR ? I love the show Redjacket if this is the same company that everyone is referring to . But arnt they just doing the same thing thAt many of us are doing ? assembling Ar ? I guess my question is how many companies actually produce their own uppers ,lowers, mags , etc.. As compared to outsourcing all componets and assembling them?

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well nobody does it all in house but Colt, Daniel Defense and S&W come pretty close. They would be true AR manufacturers.

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

To a certain extent, yes what many manufacturers do is assemble from outsourced parts. The difference lies in the volume. Building the occasional AR does not require a license, doing it frequently with the intent to sell is another story as you are now "in the firearms business."

4. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Q has it nailed.

I think DD even makes some of their own fasteners.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  5. jg3

jg3 New Member

Not that I am a fan of red jacket, but they do cnc both recievers in house rather than using forgings

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Of course their CNC equipment consists of a sledgehammer, pickaxe, shovel, duct tape, tie straps and bailing wire run by the bubba crew. :p

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Also for NFA weapons, if they are assembling into a NFA weapon that requires a tax stamp, due to being full auto, SBR, SBS, AOW, or assembling firearms for profit, they haceto be a manufacturer according to BATFE.