Firearms Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manufacturing AR 15 and assembling AR ? I love the show Redjacket if this is the same company that everyone is referring to . But arnt they just doing the same thing thAt many of us are doing ? assembling Ar ? I guess my question is how many companies actually produce their own uppers ,lowers, mags , etc.. As compared to outsourcing all componets and assembling them?

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
Well nobody does it all in house but Colt, Daniel Defense and S&W come pretty close. They would be true AR manufacturers.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
To a certain extent, yes what many manufacturers do is assemble from outsourced parts. The difference lies in the volume. Building the occasional AR does not require a license, doing it frequently with the intent to sell is another story as you are now "in the firearms business."

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
Q has it nailed.

I think DD even makes some of their own fasteners.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Tenderribbs said:
Manufacturing AR 15 and assembling AR ? I love the show Redjacket if this is the same company that everyone is referring to . But arnt they just doing the same thing thAt many of us are doing ? assembling Ar ? I guess my question is how many companies actually produce their own uppers ,lowers, mags , etc.. As compared to outsourcing all componets and assembling them?
Not that I am a fan of red jacket, but they do cnc both recievers in house rather than using forgings

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
Not that I am a fan of red jacket, but they do cnc both recievers in house rather than using forgings
Of course their CNC equipment consists of a sledgehammer, pickaxe, shovel, duct tape, tie straps and bailing wire run by the bubba crew. :p

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
Also for NFA weapons, if they are assembling into a NFA weapon that requires a tax stamp, due to being full auto, SBR, SBS, AOW, or assembling firearms for profit, they haceto be a manufacturer according to BATFE.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts