Difference between WASR and Zastava Opap?

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by ccase39, Oct 28, 2013.

1. ccase39

ccase39 Member

What is the difference in the two varients?

2. EMR76

EMR76 New Member

I have both. The opap is a bigger, heavier rifle. I believe it's about 9lbs and the WASR Is 7.5. The zastava has indentations on the side too so the mag does not wobble at all. The WASR does have a chrome lined barrel, whereas the opap doesn't. Bit of a concern with canted sights the WASR too, mine luckily didn't have this issue. All in all I'm happy with both and don't regret buying either of them. My opinion is that the opap is a more sturdy, reliable rifle. But no disrespect to the WASR either. I think it's been unfairly dogged by some internet gun snobs of late. CAI has upped their game the last few years. I've yet to have a misfire with either of them.

3. EMR76

EMR76 New Member

Also - the dust cover on the opap has a button to remove/install, making assembly easier. And the stock is larger, so there's a bit more room for those of us with long arms.

4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

A WASR is a near-milspec AKM except for being semiauto. A Zastava is an upgrade featuring a thicker heavier milled receiver, hardwood instead of plywood, and a nicer overall finish.

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Still a stamped receiver in the Zastava. They do go with a heavier RPK Trunion. I don't know if they use a heavier guage of sheet metal though. I know that the Chinese AK variants use heavier sheet metal (1.5Mil vs. 0.9Mil)

6. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

OK. I think I just don't know what OPAP stands for and was thinking M70, milled with a brushed steel bolt carrier. Any case an RPK size receiver is a commercially sound decision, since most semiauto AK types are not carried much.

7. ccase39

ccase39 Member

The reciever on my opap is much heavier than that of the wasr I handled.

8. SSGN_Doc

From what I've read teh reason for going with the RPK front trunion was to beef the rifle up a bit for grenade launching.

9. hq357

hq357 New Member

Which is more accurate?

10. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Ballistically, I don't know, but suspect with the similar barrels it's a wash. Practically, the heavier rifle will be more accurate, the rest being equal. In a dynamic drill a lighter rifle may help the score. They are too similar to predict the outcome for every individual shooter sight unseen.

11. SSGN_Doc

That can vary highly in any model and would be more to the individual rifle and its ammo preferences. The Yugo probably has a better chance due to the more rigid front trunion that the barrel is mounted in and the non chromed bore.

12. whiteydale23

whiteydale23 New Member

You guys are crazy! The Yugo M70 is one of the most accurate AK47's made with a 16 inch barrel. It has a carbon barrel instead of chrome lined and a bulged trunnion which makes the receiver connection to the barrel much more solid and it has a 1.6 receiver which is the icing on the cake. They've done everything you can to make this AK superior than most. I know this because I was about to get a Yugo O-PAP and messed up and got the Wasr instead because it's smaller and I'm still kicking my self in the *** for it. I can't hit a milk jug from 10 ft with this damn WASR! FML

13. SSGN_Doc

Pretty sure I said the Yugo has the mechanical accuracy edge for the same reasons you state.

And I said accuracy can vary widely even in individual rifles. My WASR has actually proven to be pretty accurate for an AKM clone. I did have an earlier one that wasn't quite as accurate but definitely capable of milk jug hits out at 100 yds.

Have you checked yours for canted sights or a need to have the front sight adjusted? I had a kit built AKM clone that needed the front sight pushed a pretty good bit to get it on target at 25 yds. But once adjusted it was pretty well on, but it turned out to be the worst grouping AK clone I've ever had. Torso hits on a full sized silhouette were possible, but it really was something like a 8-10" grouper at 100 yds.

Yugos I've shot have all been pretty accurate.

14. whiteydale23

whiteydale23 New Member

Went out and shot the WASR again today and I'm pretty sure my barrel is canted or my receiver is bent. The rear sight block looks canted as well but it's all microscopic. The damn bullets were tumbling at 10 yards. I'm going to send it back to Century this week which is upsetting. I wish my LGS would let me exchange it for the O-PAP but I don't think so. I was hoping I would've got a good WASR like most other people.

15. SSGN_Doc

Yeah, you definitely have a problem if you have tumbling bullets key holing at 10 yards. Canted sights won't cause that, must be a barrel problem, possible damaged crown or jacked up muzzle break if you have one of the slant breaks.

16. whiteydale23

whiteydale23 New Member

Oh I see. Thanks for the advice man. Have you ever heard of the front trunnion being canted on these causing the whole front of the rifle to be curved to the left or right? I think mine might be but so microscopic I can't tell for sure....

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

A microscopic cant? That's a new one on me! Usually you'd expect zeroing problems from visible ones. My WASR has slight cant that adjusting the front sight 1/8" left took care of.

Tumbling bullets? Is it a 5.45x39? Century had a bunch of those that keyholed.

18. whiteydale23

whiteydale23 New Member

I didn't mean the sight (which it is) I meant the trunnion seems like it's making the barrel point to the left instead of straight. It looks microscopic but it makes a big difference when shooting. I just wanted to know if you ever heard of that

19. whiteydale23

whiteydale23 New Member

It's a WASR 10/63 7.62x39