difference between Remington 700 and 770

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by VinceleeR700, Dec 24, 2011.

1. VinceleeR700

VinceleeR700 New Member

I'm sure this has been discussed here before I searched but nothing came up. But what is the real differences. Both Remington both go through the same quality control both have same barrel quality control and so on.

I already know I have a 770 waiting for me so please don't say "get a 700 its just better“ its in a .308 and looks relatively nice. I have played around with the bolts on both guns one is tapped down by screw and bolt the other is unknown to me. So please what are the real differences by specs quality and so on

2. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I was about to ask the same question. I held both models this evening at walmart. I felt 700 is heavier and have the feeling of real rifle. 770 is cheaper and come with a scope (standard) as a package. I'm interested of getting one too, still debating which one should i get. And for caliber factor.. i'm interested for 308.
    My purpose is for just target shooting at range, max is 2-300 yards. Any opinions?

With due respect, didn't mean to steal your thread Vince. I just think we need the same answers from our experienced shooters.

Merry Xmas everyone and happy holiday ;)

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have owned many remington M700's over the years, and have owned only one M770. reason is, the 770 doesn't go through the same quality control as the 700, nor does it receive the same machining tolerances. the bolt is sloppy, the trigger is heavy and gritty feeling, their accuracy is non-existant. i bought mine thinking they would be a good addition of a remington to my collection for a cheaper price, Wrong! i sold it for even less than i gave and was glad. everyone i have talked to that has owned one, regrets buying it. IMO, i would rather have one M700, rather than ten M770's! the M700 is a very accurate and proven design out of the box, and has great aftermarket support, nothing for the M770. for what the M770 costs new, i have bought several Marlin X7 series of rifles. the X7's are pretty close to the M700 and cost about or less than the M770. these are my opinions based on my past experiances with the M770, and IMO, they are junk.

4. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

Vince...sorry man but Axxe is exactly right. It sounds like you already ordered and paid for a M770 in 308. If that's the case, I hope you enjoy your new rifle. The 308 Winchester is an awesome cartridge. If you haven't committed to the M770 yet, do yourself a favor and look at the Marlin X7.

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

The 770 has a press fit barrel, plastic where it should be metal.

6. VinceleeR700

VinceleeR700 New Member

oh well pulled the trigger last night empty of course didnt feel horrible I guess and seems like its just a m700 with a bit more plastic ah well it will serve me till i get something new thanks for the info guys check in when I run some rounds threw it Christmas day

7. Axxe55

i wish you luck with the new rifle. remington makes very good firearms, but they really missed the mark with the M770 IMO. the Marlin X7 series and the Savage Axis series are much better and even some are cheaper than the M770 and also come in the 308. in the long run, you would be much happier with either one of those. the savage's can be bought for less than $300, and the marlin's for a little over $300.

8. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I bought a 770 in 30-06 for elk hunting. I thought I had made a mistake after I got home. I looked at a bunch of rifles that day before I made the purchase. I must not have run the bolt on that one. I was suprized when I got home. Normally I look very close before buying anything. But again I looked at a bunch of rifles all at once.

Anyway, I took it to the range to sight it in. I was able to shoot 1 inch groups at 200 yards. That sounds like great acuracy for a $300 rifle to me. I don't know if it will hold up to a lot of shooting. But for a simple hunting rifle I don't think it was a mistake.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  9. Axxe55

i wish you luck with it. i am glad you may have gotten the one good one out there!

i do more target shooting than hunting. i do a lot of reloading and shooting, so i probably shoot more in a weekend than most hunters do in a year. so if you are looking for just a rifle to sight in and hunt with, it may serve it's purpose.

10. VinceleeR700

VinceleeR700 New Member

Well it for me is just going to be a cheap target rifle looks likes Remington will hear from me plenty of times

11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Vince

Unfortunately the best way so say the difference has already been mentioned by Axe and JP. But truthfully it is the difference between the higher quality of the 700 and the low dollar model 770 for Remington. Obviously there is a market for both. But I am for better quality and durability for the long haul. Difference in acceptable tolerance the materials used and quality control variances to be acceptable. Before I would purchase a 770 it would be my suggestion you find a good used 700. If you have already purchased the 770 then it is done! Enjoy the rifle I may serve your specific needs and requirements well?

12. VinceleeR700

VinceleeR700 New Member

i hope it serves what i want it to Be for the most part what do you guys think the average barrel life of this rifle chambered in .308 with cleaning and polishes and so on

13. jpattersonnh

OP, I hope you do well with it.
    My $110.00 (What I paid 13 years ago) Highpoint 995 carbine out shot a Bushmaster Carbon 15, $995.00. Sometimes luck is on our side.

14. jpattersonnh

No need to polish. Just clean it. 10,000 rounds give or take 2000.

15. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Vince,

I do not suppose you will be putting that many rounds through it over a short period of time. If proper care is given to the rifle it would take a few thousand rounds to begin to wear the bore out. I do not think you ever will put enough rounds through it to worry much about that issue of excessive bore wear and especialy in the 308 Cal. As JP stated just keep the bore good and clean. Using solvent allow it to set for a while then dry patch it. And repeat the process until the patches come out clean. If you are going to store it for any period of time be sure to lube the barrel and then run a dry patch through it once! That will remove the excess lube. If you leave much lubricant in the barrel your first shot when firing it in all possibility will be higher than when you zeroed the rifle by a couple if inches. I think for no more than you will probably shoot the rifle you will be fine.
    Enjoy!

16. VinceleeR700

VinceleeR700 New Member

I want to thank you guys so much for the information. Well a little off topic but could you guys tell me about any mods like glassing the stock or free floating the barrel or stuff like that please

17. jpattersonnh

Just shoot it! Sometimes Factory guns come through w/ VG accuracy. Bedding, Floating are not nessesary. Some guns like a little pressure in the front of the stock. Shoot it, post your results and move to step 2. Don't jump the gun.

18. VinceleeR700

VinceleeR700 New Member

Gotta wait till Christmas day sadly

19. jpattersonnh

That is tomorrow! 7 hours, 10 min.

20. VinceleeR700

VinceleeR700 New Member

That is true but that's seven hours to long