difference between AK-47 and RPK?

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by texaswoodworker, Jan 20, 2012.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Whats the difference between and AK and an RPK? Couldn't you just put a 24" heavy barrel on an AK, put a new stock on it, then add a bipod and drum magazine (or just reg magazine) and call it an RPK?
    I was just wondering this. :D

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

yup thats exactly what a rpk is. although the receiver is also reinforced on the rpk

3. texaswoodworker

Cool.

If someone wanted to take a regular AK (like a WASR) and make it into a semi auto RPK (minus the reinforce receiver), Where could they get the barrel? Also, would the receiver need to be reinforced, or is that more for a gun that will experience a lot of sustained full auto fire?

I think this would be a cool project. :D

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

reinforced reciever is really for sustained auto fire. you will need a barrel press and fixture for the ak chamber and muzzle so you dont mess up the barrel or reciever. if you dont have access to that stuff and only doing it once, its cheaper to just buy a rpk. the barrel drum/mags will be about 1/4 the price of a rpk by themselves.

then you will have two guns, instead of one gun and some tools your never gonna use again if your converting a gun you already own.

5. texaswoodworker

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

There are two over at dunhams sporting goods next town over from me one with wood stock one thats a wire side folder.

There is a company out there that currently makes rpd which is the belt fed version in semi auto format.

7. texaswoodworker

Belt fed? Cool! Who makes them?

8. assain618

assain618 New Member

yes, DSA i believe does make a blet fed RPD semi, and full auto for a little extra

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The belt in an RDP is carried in a "drum" beneath the weapon.

Early on, the Soviet Bloc replaced the RPD with the RPK. The RPK will take the detachable 75 round drum as well as standard 30 round AK magazines.

I think you'd be far better off with an RPK.

You can't legally buy, or convert a full auto unless the receiver was registered prior to 1986.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  10. JonM

JonM Moderator

Dsa makes em. I see em at gunshows now and then. Prices run 2-3000

11. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

rpk was russia version of our M-60 machine gun or now the SAW or squad automatic weapon. and like the two guns the rpk is just as much unlike an ak as the SAW is to an AR. i give you that the russian still made this weapon simple for what it is but an real RPK has many more and heavier parts than an AK. the rpk also has a faster rate of fire than an ak.

12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The military RPK made by Russia today, is the RPK 74.

It chambers the 5.45X39mm round instead of the 7.62X39mm chambered by the original RPK.

Many of the older RPK variations are still in service, though, due to Russia's economic woes.:p