Diff. Between oil and grease.

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by DodgerBlue, Aug 24, 2013.

1. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

Using FrogLube one a 1911 but I would like to try Wilson Combat on another.

What is the difference between oil and grease specifically on a 1911. Wilson makes both and looking to see what is better or recommended before I go exclusively to FrogLube

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  2. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Grease is superior on high friction parts (slides for ex.) The draw back ,is that grease attracts and holds debris. Which can cause damage to the same high friction parts.

So when using grease keep in mind the old Dippity Doo commercials "a Little Dab will Do You" go very sparingly with it.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

currently i use Lucas Synthetic Gun Oil on my 1911's, but have been giving some thought to maybe trying out using grease on the frame rails. as i have always used an oil on the slides, it just seems natural to do so. but maybe grease might be the better option than oil.

i'm staying tuned in for more information.

4. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I was a shooting instructor at the US Naval Academy, plus on the NDW shooting team. We used the 1911 in training the cadets. and competition. (about a 150 1911’s) None of us every used grease on our 1911’s or did the armory use grease after cleaning all the training weapons. Always used a good grade gun oil. Training 1911’s were standard government issue, competition was match grade. I still shoot competition with a 1911 and still use strictly gun oil.

5. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

AXXE, I've always preferred grease on the rails of my autos "little dab" ..

6. Axxe55

this is the Lucas gun oil i am currently using. so far i have been using it for about 4-5 years now and have had great results out of it. plus it lasts a long time.

Attached Files:

7. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

i use Pennzoil red wheel bearing grease on the slides of my autos. it's a high temp heavy duty grease, cheap, & a small jar of it lasts a guy a long, long time. it stays in place well & makes them feel like they are running on ball bearings.

8. Axxe55

like i said, i have been running oil on the slides fro many, many years. this is why i want to hear all sides and maybe make a change in how i have been doing things.

i am seeing some good reasons for both and may just have to jump in and try it out for myself and see what happens.

9. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

Maybe ill do the same. Ill get both oil and grease. Wilson will like that but I do plan on only using FrogLube just want see if there is anything that will change my mind. Wanna be sure

10. Axxe55

i have heard some really good things about the Frog Lube and may make the plunge and get some soon. pretty much all i heard or read has been very positive so far.

11. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

12. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I've heard a lot of good things about Frog Lube too. I've been wanting to try it, but haven't gotten around to it yet. :eek:

13. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I use DuPont Teflon multi-lube, on just about everything. The Teflon makes it extremely slippery, it also contains organic molybdenum, and waxes. Once dried, (about ten or fifteen-minutes), it is waterproof, extremely slippery, and stable from -100 to 300-degrees Fahrenheit.

14. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I have just switched from using oil to grease. Never had any malfunctions with oil, but I hate how it would seep from every crack and crevice during shooting. It would inevitably find its way to my hands while shooting and I hated that.

Switched to Shooters Choice grease a few weeks ago and I'm much happier. Same performance without the oozing oil everywhere. Not to mention it makes the guns sound and feel SO much smoother when cycling the slide by hand.

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Dab. Mobil1.

Cleaning is another story...

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

I don't like using grease where dirt can easily collect. Grease turns into an abrasive when that occurs. I use grease on my ccw guns because they aren't gettng shot while being carried and grease doesn't migrate to clothng.

Best lubricant however is 30w motor oil for general shooting.

17. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

ok, went to down to my shooting club and bought what I was looking to try. I bought the oil for most parts and will use the grease for the slide.

I will give a 100 round report or so in a day I hope

I can however report that the FrogLube worked awesome on day 1 range trip. I cleand and re-applied 2nd coat. after 3 coat I will give a report if it really stick and only spot treament is needed. so far FrogLube is an A+

[​IMG]

18. readygirl

readygirl New Member

LOL....I love this subject..Working at the LGS i have heard it all. Grease/motor oil/snot/wd40/trans fluid/ Pu55y Juice/grape jelly/secret mixtures passed down thru the family/etc. And it all seems to work...But i just wonder if its because we are all talking about guns that are well cared for, kept in a clean environment, and are carefully cleaned/oiled after every outing....? I would like to hear from a Vet, someone who has been to battle with their weapon . Run it hard/dragged it thru the dirt/ gone too long between cleanings/etc...What were YOU using to clean/lube. To keep your weapon functioning in the harshest of conditions....?

19. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

Back when I served during during George Bush then Slick William Jefferson Clinton, all we used was the stuff that came in black bottles that was in the rear of our M-16 butt stocks

20. keyspike

keyspike New Member

Went from Balistol to Frog Lube for every thing!