Diesel Tuners

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by NitroxAZ, Jul 6, 2011.

1. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Does anyone know anything about tuners for diesels? I was looking for something to improve MPG and horsepower in my truck. I know that you can't have both at the same time but am looking for one that has a couple different settings and works well with the Duramax LMM.

2. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Are they worth it? Is there that big of a benefit to them?

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The only experience I have is what I've heard. They seem to have some advantage.

Jump on some of those sites and ask/read what they are sayin'.

4. Kain

Kain Member

They usually adjust fuel maps and turbo boost levels. Most OEM manufacturers design their diesel engines for mediocre performance but superior longevity. By increasing performance you put more wear on the transmission/drivetrain. If you work the fuel maps for efficiency you stress the internal components of the engine due to higher cylinder temperatures. So there are trade-offs, but if you don't alter the ECU too radically the extra stress is minimal.

5. jca1

jca1 New Member

My work truck (company owned, F-550 super duty 6.4 powerstroke) gets 9MPG at best, weighs in at 14K with tools and all (no extra load).

6. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger Member

I use an Edge with Attitude on my Cummins... Very noticible power advantage, it does raise the MPG but I tend to put more foot into it!!
    you will have to drive a lot to get the $500+ spent back in fuel savings

7. doctherock

doctherock New Member

As a diesel mechanic I will tell you this. You will void the factory warranty by chipping the engine. Also a big point to think of is do you really want to fry the transmission? The trans is not meant to take the added abuse caused by souping up the engine. The new trans is more like a jet engine inside. Close tolerances that don't like the added pressure increase internally from the higher power input from the engine. Just food for thought.

8. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Doc hit his right on the head.. your factory warranty will be gone!! You will add much more stress on the drivetrain.

BUT you can improve fuel mileage and unleash some silly horsepower from the newer diesel engines. I have a few friends with them and see many come into the dealership I work at and they are impressive. Its just not right to see a f-350 4dr long bed smoldering the tires and drifting sideways :eek: And no it wasn't us with a customers truck lol

9. Johnnyb

Johnnyb New Member

Had a friend with a 05 crew cab power stroke 4x4 he bought it brand new and one of the first things he did was put a set of bfg all terrains (315's) on it, the next thing he did was put a programmer on it, dont remember what brand, seen him take that truck and almost have it get away from him when he kicked it from a 15 roll on dry asphalt in front of another friends house and it just smoked those 315's, back end almost went around on him before he let off and straightened it out, the power difference was just amazing

10. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I have tried out several different ones in my 06 Dodge Megacab 4x4 Dually.I haven't seen a big gain in MPG with any of them.

Completely stock,it got 13.2-14.6 MPG

With the tuners,it got 13.8-15.0 MPG

Any unit that plugs into your ECM will leave a trace,and void your warranty if you break the truck.

The units that plug into the fuel rail sensors don't leave a ECM trace,but all your doing is boosting the fuel rail pressure.

I currently have a Painless Wiring tuner along with a boost fooler,that allows the turbo to produce more boost before the wastegate opens on the turbo.
    I also have an AFE stage II cold air induction,an Air Ram intake,4" turbo back exhaust-no catalytic convertor-and a Proflow muffler.
    With all of these mods,the dually still only avg's-14.7 MPG.If I set the cruise on a roadtrip at 65mph,I can get around 18mpg,but who/where can you do that anymore.

You need to be very careful running any of the tuners with an automatic tranny.If you turn the power way up,it will waste the tranny in a few hard presses of your right foot.
    A rebuilt tranny will run you $3000-8000,depending on which one you have.

I service my tranny/transfer case every 25k,and my tranny man can't believe mine is always so clean and tight,since I have always had a tuner on it since new.Mine has 10 power settings,and I have never ran it over 6.I get the best power/fuel milage with it set on 4.

[​IMG]

11. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Add to the comments about voided warranty, all of the modern rigs report any mods back to the manufacturer when they are modified. This is whether or not you have OnStar- It still reports mods via satellite. Big Brother is alive and watching you from Detroit!

12. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Thanks for the input fellas. Doesn't sound worth it. I am actually very impressed with factory performance.

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I have a 2001 F350 that I put a Banks 3-inch exhaust kit with the exhaust brake on it and a high flow air filter, those are the only mods I have done and I think they are allowed by the manufacturers. I got a big boost in power and a small increase in mileage from it. It was kinda pricey but well worth it in the long run. Banks also had several other mods (oversize turbocharger, larger capacity higher flow intercooler, etc.,) but that was too much $$$ for me. I imagine that you could replace some of the components and stay away from "re-programming" any of the electronic controls you should be all right. Of course check with the manufacturer first so you don't get bit in the arse.

Oh yeah, I also kept the catalytic converter just in case and this year I had to have a visual inspection (CA smog laws) and thank God I kept it! I cobbed together a way to temporarily install the cat, had it inspected and took it right back out again when I got home.

14. Txhillbilly

Just where did you here this BS.
    Maybe on the GM Onstar units,but unless you plug something into the ECM,and change the factory settings,it all goes unnoticed unless you take your vehicle to a dealership with the aftermarket mods still in the vehicle and hooked up.
    I have had my Dodge into the dealer several times for warranty/recall issues since 03/2006 and I modified the truck the day I drove it home from the dealership.
    I always take the controller and boost fooler out of the truck before it goes to the dealership,and they have no clue that anything was ever changed.
    My truck is still under the factory drivetrain warranty for another 20k miles.

15. doctherock

doctherock New Member

There are ways around the computer thing but you have to purchase a unit to flash the computer back to factory specs. I have a program from cummins that allows me to change the parameters and if needed set them back to factory spec. It would be worth the money if you blew the trans or fried the engine with a chip.

16. Txhillbilly

That's right Doc.I have several friends that are fulltime auto techs,they all have the same things.
    But the most common thing that people do after modifying their vehicles is take it to a dealership for service/warranty work,with all their little aftermarket goodies still hooked up and functioning when they drive there.Then when the tech opens the hood and sees them,its bye-bye warranty from the service manager.

17. doctherock

doctherock New Member

They also screw guys with older rigs taken in for maintenance. When they flash the computer it fries the chips. Its happen 4 times that I know of to some local guys here. They take a bad *** souped up diesel in and they flash everything and there goes at least 1K.
    We used to soup up my brothers big rig and pass code it. This way the company mechanic has to flash the ecm and cant see the settings. Then the next time he came around we would recalibrate all the settings again.

18. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

This is an email I got from a friend of mine back in January, not something I found on the Internet. He is utterly reliable and has been a mechanic for his whole life 9his father was a mechanic and he was raised as one). FYI, OTC is an aftermarket automotive diagnostic tool manufacturer.

I spent 4 hours last night at school for the OTC Genesis scan too. One
    interesting thing I thought you guys might get a kick out of is as of 2008
    General Motors has a new trick up their sleeve with the PCM; from now on when
    anyone reprograms the PCM on a GM car or truck the RKE module will send a file
    via satellite to GM headquarters telling them the module being programmed, the
    date and time, and the GPS coordinates so they know who did it and where. He
    said BMW,VW and others are doing it too. He told a story of a friend of his
    who had one of those new fast Cadillacs (brand new) and did a computer
    reprogramming on it. He then burned a hole in his piston. He didn't want to pay
    10K for a new engine so he sent all his computer modules to a guy back east
    that said he could wipe everything clean and put it back to stock for 900
    bucks. He did that and then took it to Cadillac. The service writer ran the vin
    and asked him if he had his PCM reprogrammed; he asked him three times and he
    said no each time thinking he had a clean car and they could not catch him.
    They diagnosed his car as having a burned piston and then told him they had the
    GPS coordinates, time and date, and that the PCM had been reprogrammed. They
    said that he had no more warranty on his car at all. Revoked! They charged him
    250 bucks for the diagnosis.