Diesel engine help.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Mosin, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I am writing a report, where I have to compare 2 used diesel engines (large, locomotive diesel engines) and decide on a purchase.

I need to physically inspect the diesel engines and compare them, and write a report.

I have inspected these engines, and gone over them, but to ensure that I have not forgotten anything, I am asking people here what I should look for when inspecting.

I've checked

oil
    valve lash
    air filters
    fuel filters
    overall condition of body
    coolant levels and condition.
    journal bearings
    rings
    flywheels, etc...

Feel free to chime in and help.

Thank you.

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Injectors, turbos if possible. Oil pressure when running if you can. What brand are they? EMD? Cat, I may be able to ask more specifically in another week when I see my chief.

3. kytowboater

Also if these are in running conditions, do they have a check valve for cylinder compression?

4. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Specifically, it's an EMD 567, and a Cat 3512.

Ignore cost, size, etc. The purpose of this is to inspect CONDITION only.

Thanks KY, you always make things smoother.

5. kytowboater

That's all I can think of at the moment....

6. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Yeah we can run a compression testing machine.

7. kytowboater

I have no idea what the specs are for those. Just make sure the power packs are still in good operating condition, and not at risk of blowing heads up.

8. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Thanks KY, for sliding me in the right direction...

9. kytowboater

No problem, hope it helps a little.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Mosin, also while running, check for amount of blowby, as this will also give some indication of it's condition. excessive blowby, could mean time for a rebuild.

11. RJMercer

RJMercer New Member

Check the coolant for exhaust gas leakage, use a dial bore indicator and mic the cylinder walls, if you are going really deep into it check the valve spring compression specs.

12. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

fuel lines, radiator (hoses, evaporator fins, fan, belt(s), water pump(s)), all wiring harnesses for cracks and rub wear. head gasket leaks, exhaust system, exhaust leaks, and possibly rear seal leaks

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

When you listed "oil", does that extend to lab analysis of oil? Records of analysis that has ALREADY been conducted. What ends up IN the oil tells a lot about what is going on IN the engine.

14. Ryel

Ryel New Member

I would enforce USEBOTHHANDS mention of seals. After ten years or so all the rubber/neoprene starts to crack. Even if they don't leak they are still a failure waiting to happen. This can be critical with turbo oil return lines and other places where hot oil flows.
    as you know