Did I take the correct action?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by jwhirl413, Oct 1, 2009.

1. jwhirl413

jwhirl413 New Member

This morning at 5:30 a.m.(extremely dark out) I was loading my car with what I needed for work, and getting ready to put my trash at the end of the road, my car is already running(due to it being about 50 and brisk) and the parking lights are on. I live in the county and my front porch sits about 20 yards from the road. There have been numerous break-ins in my area, including my next door neighbor, about 8 months ago. As I am walking back to my porch to grab our weeks worth of trash, a car comes to a sudden stop directly in front of my driveway. I immediately open my door and yell to my wife, "BRING ME MY GUN, NOW." As I stand there under my side porch light waiting for my wife to bring me my gun(springfield xdm9) the car pulls forward 10 feet, then backs up, then pulls forward again, and then pulls into the drive across the street, then backs out of the driveway to where they initially stopped in front of my drive. By then my wife has handed me my pistol and I have it cocked and at my side, out of site of the driver. I then tell my wife to turn on the flood lights on the front porch, the car pulls forward about five feet and sits there. I stand there for what seems like about 30 secs to a min(gun out of his line of site and just stare at the car, which I cannot see into b/c its dark and the windows are tinted). they pull forward one more time, and then back up again. At this point I'm fed up and I assume the down and ready position, both hands on my pistol aimed down at about 40 degrees and say "CAN I HELP YOU"(as loud as i can without shouting) obviously ready for them to make the wrong move. They then proceed to pull off quickly but stop again about 50 yards down the road. I walk off the side porch to the front yard and stand there, then they speed off.

What do you guys think of my actions, did I miss something, should I have done something different? I respect all of you guys and your opinion(-the mall ninjas) and I sincerely would like your thoughts.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I don't think so.

You saw a threat or what you deemed at the time to be a threat and you took action to neutralize that threat.

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Based on your story we or you have no idea who was behind the wheel or what they were up to. Maybe they were just lost and frustrated? No telling.

Can't really say because you were in a greater position to assess a threat or not. You did what you thought was right and no one was hurt, that's what matters.

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I don't think you did anything wrong. The only thing I could possibly think of is that you had your weapon in view, could be concidered brandishing by the right idiot. Personally, I think you handled yourself well and took care of you, your wife and your neighbors.

5. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Other than getting the plate number, description of the car, and reporting the incident to the cops, it seems you did the right thing. I'd keep a good eye out for a while - if it was gang related there may be a follow-up visit.

6. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

You did fine, one critique observation, next time be behind or close to some cover, if all possible. Limiting your exposure. You had all the lights on and you were very visible, JMO. Otherwise, you handled the situation very well sir. :)

Jack

7. jwhirl413

jwhirl413 New Member

I actually can tell you everything about the car, silver dodge avenger/seabring, about 2000 model. I cant believe I didn't think to get the license plate, although at the time, I was very wary of leaving the safety of my porch to obtain it, until they were too far away to read it.

This exact same type of incident happened a couple years ago, although I lived alone and at the time, did not have any firearms at my house(they were still at my parents, which I quickly retrieved later that week). Only difference was that is was a early 90's blue ford ranger.

8. jwhirl413

jwhirl413 New Member

Those were my thoughts as I drove to work. Would I have been better off to leave all my side porch light off, turn on the front porch flood lights, or should i have maybe killed all the lights and grabbed my ultra bright led maglight to shine at the car. or would shining a light at the car be considered criminal?

9. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I don't let anyone see I have a gun. My concern is a break-in later when I'm not home. I would have done the same except for keeping the pistol out of sight.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

What Goju said.

I can't think of why someone would be performing the described maneuvers (back and forth) myself. I would keep an eye out for that car. Have you considered an inexpensive surveillance system? They are getting cheaper; i saw a wireless (not color) mini cam online the other day for maybe $75. Even a webcam visible through the curtains could be the thing that makes some goofball smile sheepishly and wave rather than some other less friendly action (molesting your cattle perhaps).

11. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I think you should give the cops a heads-up. Who knows what the cops might find if they pull over that car.

12. jwhirl413

jwhirl413 New Member

Thats a good Idea, I will inform my local sherrif station of this mornings events.

13. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Best defense is a good offense. I would have waited on them to make the first move or initiate conflict, while I was out of site and armed. At that time I would have gathered as much information I could on the vehicle and a phone nearby. No shinning of lights on vehicles, no approaching. If they wanted something, they would have to exit the vehicle to come get it and their intentions may have been very well exposed if they were armed. This would be a come to me, I don't go to them situation. If it was a drive by shooting, you would have been covered and not exposed. I do not know about your state, but in Oklahoma we have Castle Doctrine and it covers your yard, car, and property, as well as your home. My .02 cents worth.

Jack

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The major thing I would criticize is not having the wife call the police. Always better to have them on the way if you end up using deadly force. makes you look less like a cowboy looking for a fight and more like a citizen forced into a bad situation. "I tried to let LE handle it but it all went bad before they got there".

15. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Makes me want a light strong enough to pierce any level of tint - around 200 lumens or so :D

16. jwhirl413

jwhirl413 New Member

I want to thank all you guys for your comments and critiques. If and when this type of thing happens again, i'll be much more prepared and confident in my actions and I shouldn't have any reason to hesitate and worry if I am doing the right thing. Now I've just got to go home and inform my wifey of the updated plan of defense, b/c she's my main concern.

By the way......You guys are awesome:D

17. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Always, Always call 911 if you brandish or use your weapon. You want to be the one stating the facts first and not trying to explain yourself and your actions if the other party calls first for whatever reason. If they call and give their version it is more believable because they were first.

18. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

It seems that you handled it well. There are folks here that have experience in this stuff (not me) and they think you did pretty good too. Constructive criticism and suggestions have been made.

I have learned from your experience. Thanks for posting this. :cool:

19. jwhirl413

jwhirl413 New Member

I followed up with my sherrifs department and they confirmed that I should have called them immediately so they could have sent a deputy to check things out. I will not overlook this in the future. But they said they would take note of it and pass the information along to their deputies so they are aware of the situation. thanks again for the recommendations

20. orangello

orangello New Member

As someone who occasionally bruises a law or two while in my car, i want you to know that if i was doing something south of kosher & saw somebody whip out a celly like they were snapping a pic of my car or tag, i would be making tracks ASAP. Of course, the bruises i refer to are very minor and would never include robbery or injury to others, etc.