Did i respond correctly? What would you have done?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by hq357, Jun 29, 2013.

1. hq357

hq357 New Member

Just now i thought sombody was trying to steal my motorcycle i live in a condo and i chain my motorcylce down in front of my house, i was watching tv and my mom bursts into my room and says son son! somebody is trying to steal your bike! someone is rattling the chains outside! Its 2:30 am and its not the first time someone has stolen something off my driveway so i grabbed my glock 19 ran outside and chambered a round. My gun was loaded and ready to go There was nobody out there after checking i wrote down a cars license plate i dont usually see in my complex and went back inside i am really shooken up and it all happend so fast my adrenaline was pumping and i wasn't even thinking i don't ever want to shoot anybody unless they are a real threat and they are going to hurt me or my family. did i overreact by chambering a round? Or should i identify the threat and then chamber a round? Where can i go to get proper training? i don't think i would have shot even if there was somebody. but now im questioning myself because of how intense my adrenaline was pumping and how fast i responded i want to be assured i wouldn't shoot unless it was a real danger or threat what kind of drills should i do? Did i respond correctly? What would you have done?

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I would have done the same.

3. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I keep a round chambered at all times, and that situation would merit the same reaction for me.

As far as training is concerned, I'm not sure what your skill set is. If you arnt comfortable enough to run drills on your own at the time try to find a shooting school in your area. If you know of any concealed carry instructors in your area, call them. Many CC instructors will do personal classes.

No matter what classes you take or training you have, it is your duty to practice and hone your skills. Maybe start with pickup drills, or multiple target drills.

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I don't know that I would have gone outside to confront a theif. My weapon is to protect life. I love my bike. But I would not shoot someone over it. Keep in mind...even a clean shoot will change your life. If I shoot someone I want it to because there was no other alternative. I have insurance to cover the bike. I would not want to have to spend the rest of my life thinking about how I killed someone over a motorcycle.

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

By the way, I always have a round in the chamber.

6. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I keep a round chambered all the time. There were times too when I ran outside onto my driveway with firearm in hand and dogs barking thinking someone was by my door at 3 a.m.

If there had been then his next move would have determined his fate (and mine). But I am sure that if I had leverage and control I would not have use firearm. But it would have been the last time he'd ever trespass.

7. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

I'm like you, chamber empty. If there was someone and they were watching you and saw you come out with a gun, they would have to be a fool to come back. I think you handled it well and I wouldn't shoot someone just for stealing. If they are in your home you don't know their intention, somewhat different.

8. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I would have called the cops unless your state law specifically allows you to use deadly force to protect property outside of your home.

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

This is a good point.

I would add that a lot of times just the sight of a firearm is a huge deterrent, especially to people whose only intent is to steal something. If they have more nefarious things on their mind, maybe the sight of a firearm would enrage them or push them over the line and actually do what it was they set out to do. However, it is impossible to know his intent beforehand.

I think I am with rick1967 on this one. I have motorcycle insurance for a reason. If he enters my home, though, that's a different story. Now we're in the realm where he could do harm to my family. Or myself.

10. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Some of the points I make in my classes are:
    1. You have every right to intervene if someone is victimizing you to stop the act and/or apprehend the criminal, even if it is a property crime.
    2. BUT you can use only reasonable force to stop the act or apprehend the criminal. This would be short of deadly force.
    3. BUT you need to be armed because you do not know how the criminal will react. If he retreats you will not need to use force. If he attacks you you will need to defend yourself with whatever force is REQUIRED, up to and including deadly force.
    What you did was not wrong, if you did it for the right reasons. If your intent was to shoot the bandit for committing the crime you were wrong. If you were armed as a precaution, to defend yourself if attacked, you were right.

11. hq357

hq357 New Member

I live in arizona and im 19 i i need to be 21 to to obtain a concealed carried license, gun laws are pretty friendly. my stedpdad works night shifts he is the one that has the concealed carry license but he works night shifts, and its just me my mom the dogs and our glock during the night i chambered a round as soon as i grabbed. it my mom got scared and yelled dont shoot It! i said ok i know what im doing and went outside to look around. the glock was loaded and i do feel confident controlling the gun even though there really isnt a safety except the trigger, i know what im doing with it. im just not confident and not sure how to react if there actually is a threat or somone there trying to steal my motorcycle my intention is to have it just in case the guy does have a knife or a gun i dont want to shoot and kill somone if they are just going to steal something. I only want to kill if my family me or my little dogs are going to be hurt. i think im going to buy my own 12 guage and load the first round with a bean bag and the rest with 00 buckshot for home defense. Is this a good option? What do you guys think as opposed to a lethal only option?

12. AR10

AR10 New Member

If you are carrying empty chamber, racking a round into a unholstered Glock, then running out into the night, gun in hand, sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Leave that gun in the holster until you encounter a situation that requires a gun.

Dedicated holster that only fits your gun, with a level 2 rentention system would be a good goal.

Insure the motorcycle, stay in the house, with the safety that gives you.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  13. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

You're not wrong for chambering a round. My carry gun has a round chambered at all times.

Now comes the ubiquitous - HOWEVER, local laws vary. What may have been reasonable carry in one location may have been considered brandishing in another... blah, blah, blah.

The important thing is to be educated and get training. Check out this website to find NRA certified training in your area:
    http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

14. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I think you did ok if some low life were attempting to steal my bike or anything else I would confront him and the next move would be his!
    My firearm would be loaded and in condition-one!
    After that whether he leaves horizontally or vertically is his decision to make.
    We (free men) have the right to protect life and property and I personally resent the "insure it and walk away option" because now the "perpetrator" gets to steal from all of us! I'm shocked a what wimps we Americans have become!

ps If you had anything but a Glock I would recommend a round in the chamber at all times!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  15. hq357

hq357 New Member

I agree but my stepdad dosent use a holster for the glock he just has it by the bed unholstered and chamber empty i will talk to him and recommend a holster the only saftey on a glock is the trigger the holster can act as another safety. Once i realized there was nobody out there i ejected the mag and cleared the chamber and walked back inside, i didnt want to do it inside because i have 5 little dogs and 1 visiting so 6 plus my mom so i cleared it outside. But what if While i was unloading the gun and he was waiting for me and some meth head ran at me with a knife? I do seriously need to get a holster. what do you guys think about a shotgun with the first round being a bean bag and the rest 00 buck?

16. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Go to the shotgun forum and read the thread which was just locked about shot size and shotguns.

17. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Hq, chambering a round before going out to asess the threat is the right choice. a BG is not going to give you the chance to chamber before attacking you. Condition 1 or don't even bother carrying.

As to the going out part, i don't know the laws in AZ, but here in NY we don't have a stand your ground or make my day law. here we are required to retreat if possible, and to some degree, even if it is not. Call the cops, wait inside, and try to get a good look at the perp so you can give the info needed for IDing him. If they try to break into your home, use force accordingly. that is the safest way to go. I know how pizzed I would be if some moron was messing with my bike, but it is nothing more than plastic, glass, metal, and rubber. is it worth risking your life over? Insurance exists for a reason.

As to using less than lethal rounds and fireing warning shots. Doing either of the above will get you in much more trouble than just putting a load of OO Buck into the scumbag when you are threatened. Less lethal and warning shots imply that you could have retreated, and you were not in a situation where your life was threatened. This can turn a case od self defense into a charge of manslaughter in a hurry. My definition of a warning shot is this:

Warning shot: What BG 2 &3 hear when that first load of OO Buck hit BG #1.

If they are dumb enough to stick around when #1 hits the ground, then they will meet up with him when he is holding open the gates of He!! when they get there.

Disclaimer: the above statements are mostly the opinion of the poster. I am not a lawyer, (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn :p) and as such I do not give legal advice that is intended for use by anybody. learn your local laws and follow them. Just my $0.02. Use it as you will.

18. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

I have done the same thing before. In Texas deadly force can be used to prevent burglary. However.... that can still be a sticky situation.

When I was a kid, a neighbor shot a man as he was breaking into his truck. He yelled from his 2nd story balcony to stop and leave his truck alone, the perp continued and as he opened the door and got in the man shot him. He wasnt charged with anything. Now of course I'm not saying to do this, or that its that easy to do - just sharing.

Here is a part of the Castle Law for Texas:

(C)**was committing or attempting to commit*aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual*assault, robbery, or aggravated robbery;

19. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

I think you did the right thing.

Be ready to defend yourself.
    But, keep in mind adrenaline can make you do/say crazy things, and you don't even realize till later when you're off that adrenaline "high".

20. DenverSteve

DenverSteve New Member

Exactly. The first thing you need to do, and should do before or immediately upon purchasing a deadly weapon, is to read and FULLY understand your city and state's laws on protection of property. In this case, outside of an occupied dwelling. What someone else would do is no defense to you if you commit a crime with a deadly weapon (aggravates the crime to a felony).

And training - from whatever level you are - which raises your level of training to a higher or safer one, is always encouraged.