Did I over react?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Ubergopher, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Yes you over reacted.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I agree, these guys were acting stupid.

37 vote(s)
    88.1%
  3. Eh, who cares...

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

Recently on another forum I'm rather active on some people had a get together and a night of screwing around... They posted some of the pictures of it and in more than a few of them they were playing with one of the guy's guns. Here are a few of them...
    ***PICTURES REMOVED***

So I posted this...
    One of the guys there asked which one...

So my question is am I over reacting at the thought of these people, one is an avid gun collector/reloader/assorted other gun stuff and the other is an active duty Security Forces Airman, and even with them both clearing the weapons multiple times still thinking this sort of behavior is okay?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  2. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

yeah you got those kind of people out there:mad: and then they flaunt it on a good site and give lib visitors ammo to hurt us. none of them look over 17-19

3. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

I believe most of them are 21+. All but one is active duty.

4. oldandslow

oldandslow New Member

ug, 3/30/09

Careless handling of firearms is unacceptable and will lead to disaster, if not this time then sometime in the future. Furthermore it is a bad example to those who are not familiar with firearms who may think this kind of inappropriate behavior is OK to imitate. I realize we have all done dumb things in our youth and sometimes it is a miracle we survived to adulthood, but the sooner this type of behavior is corrected the better it is for everyone else.

best wishes- oldandslow

5. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

it doesnt matter who or what the are they look very immature. they could be spec. forces but look at them if i was a lib sob that looks bad and it even looks worse that they are trained:mad: let me guess the guy in the blue button shirt is military

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

You didn't overreact. They are stupid idiots that need to sell all their guns.

Doing stupid **** like that is how people get effing killed.

DUMB, STUPID, and many other choice words that are not ok for use in the general forums.

7. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

Amen brotha

8. McNabb11b

McNabb11b New Member

If you were overreacting you would have been calling names and things of a similar nature. Calling them out on safety violations was the right thing to do. You might have just potetially saved one of their lives from their own stupidity. Good work. :cool:

9. ladyM

ladyM New Member

NO !You did not over react.
    You may have made a mistake by choosing THESE people to "hang out" with.
    .......Our military is not quite what I had pictured ! T.V. ads are deceptive !
    I hope that you AND these people--wake up and quit giving the
    general public this kind of ammunition for gun control !
    ...............................Suicidal Pumpkin ( one that does not know where
    .. to point a gun)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  10. user4

user4 New Member

Sure, it was stupid. But chances are they knew that all the weapons were unloaded. People act stupid with unloaded weapon.

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

That has to be the DUMBIST statement made in this thread right there.

How many people have died from an unloaded firearm. Who was it brandon Lee thought he had an unloaded gun and put it to his head and blew his brains out.

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

HOW MUTHER EFFING HARD IS IT TO UNDERSTAND 4 SIMPLES RULES?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  12. Scrapper

Scrapper New Member

?

Brandon Lee was killed when a bullet from a squib load was lodged in the barrel of a prop gun. In the next scene the gun was loaded with blanks. However the blank charge was enough to eject the squib with sufficient velocity to kill Brandon.

Safety rule was broken there as well! Prop guy never cleared the weapon for the next scene.

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That was Jon Erik Hexim bro.....He put a "prop" gun to his head and pulled the trigger because he was having a bad day and screwed up a scene a few times in a row.

Brandon Lee was killed on set as well, but he was "killed" by another actor when a bullet got lodged in the barrel and was sent into his lower abdomen by a blank in a follow up scene.

JD

14. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

That was Jon-Erik Hexum on the set of his series, Cover up. He was playing a weapons "expert" and filming was delayed. He got bored, put the .44 Magnum handgun they were using (loaded with blanks) to his head and pulled the trigger. The paper/plastic wadding hit him in the temple and blew a quarter-sized chunk of his skull into his brain. Not killed on the spot but declared brain-dead 6 days later.

15. user4

user4 New Member

Dumb? I don't know about how "dumb", the statement is but it IS accurate. Didn't say I agreed with such frivolity, just saying that it is a fact of life as proven in those pictures.

16. Spanz

Spanz New Member

Those guys scare the pooh out of me.

If you wait a while they will eliminate themselves from the gene pool, so long term we are ok.

But short-term, we have to worry about them taking out innocent bystanders, or worse yet, training some of their friends in "proper shooting" technique!

17. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

"Let the first among you that has not sinned, cast the first stone."

They were acting stupid. I won't argue that fact. Someone needs to educate them on proper firearms safety. I won't argue that fact either.

What I will argue is the "holier than thou" attitude going on in this thread. You cannot expect me to believe that any of you has not violated one of the 4 rules at some point.

Rule 1:All guns are always loaded. (If that's the case every time you dry-fire your weapon, you are violating this rule)

Rule 2:Never let the muzzle cover anything you aren't willing to destroy. (How many of you have practiced drawing from concealment at home, and for that matter how many of your handles your weapon is general from time to time for whatever reason. Have you all kept track of where your muzzle was pointing 100% of the time at all times?)

Rule 3:Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target. (Again, how many of you dry fired your firearm at your house - even though you are supposed to treat the weapon as loaded at all times?)

Rule 4:Be sure of your target. (How many times have you aimed your weapon at your house for whatever reason? Keep in mind that if you are treating your weapon as loaded at all times, you shouldn't be aiming that weapon anywhere in your home to include walls, ceilings, floors (richochet possibility), closets, doors, etc, etc.....)

Like I said before, the guys in those pics are goofballs, and they need to be educated a little (hopefully their Sgt will see these pics and will smack them on the head a couple of times).

Keep it real, though. Don't play the "I'm better than you" game.

18. GatorDude

GatorDude New Member

You were absolutely right to call them on the safety violations. Overkill on safety never kills anyone.

I don't know that I would have reposted their stupid photos on another forum. Many people don't yet know that internet stupidity lasts for a long time and may come to haunt them later in life.

I also think Sgt. Miller has a good point. It's easy to pick on these guys. But, it would do everyone well to take a look in the mirror, too. People need to think twice about playing quick draw McGraw around the house.

19. Seanml89

Seanml89 New Member

I think, you absolutly did not over react at all. What if you saw them doing this in person? I wonder if those were the actual gun owners. I would think anyone with guns like that would take them pretty serious

20. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Nope never dry fire guns in the house. That is how you shoot your kids wife or someone else. If I dry fire it is on the range and I am doing trigger control exercises.

Gun comes out of safe and pointed at the ground. Safest place making sure it is facing away any one in the house.

) Again I don't dry fire in the house NO ONE DOES. You do that in my house and I will beat you to death with said firearm.

Again I don't aim at my house this is the kind of acts that get people killed. Maybe some people need to be a little more strict about firearm handling procedures in and around them.

You call me holier than thou but I call myself SAFE. I accept nothing less the strict adherence to my rules at all times. If you don't like it fine don't shoot with me. In fact I keep no bolt in any rifle at all in my safe. This is for two reason safety and for the fact that my safe is over flowing with rifles and I can't fit them all in there with the bolts in.

To many people think and act like these utter morons and that is why people get killed or wounded. Attention to Detail is Key in all aspect of firearms. If you can't do it them maybe you need to find a different hobby. If more people were safer then bad things wouldn't happen as much as they do.

I am not as strict as my father was. I was not allowed to handle a firearm let alone shoot one until I memorized and could recite on command any or all of The Ten Commandments of Gun Handling.
    1. Always keep the gun muzzle pointed away from anything you do not want to shoot or is not legal to shoot.

2. All firearms are loaded.

3. Always store or carry the firearm unloaded with the action open except when actually hunting or preparing to shoot.

4. Be sure the barrel and action are clear of obstruction (mud plug or wrong ammo) you don’t want an explosion.

5. Confirm your target before you pull the trigger, shooting a person will ruin two people’s day.

6. Never horseplay with any firearm.

7. Never climb a fence, tree, or jump a ditch with a loaded firearm.

8. Never shoot at a hard surface or water.

9. Store firearms and ammunition in different places.

10. Never use drugs or alcohol before or during shooting.

Not just the 4 but 10. It is amazing we have never had a single negliant discharge on our firing line ever. I guess we are just lucky.